Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trance 95% efficient unit installed

We just installed a new trane furnace/AC system and are a bit concerned about the comfort of all rooms in the house. We have twin 9 month old girls and one of their rooms is at least 7 degrees colder than the thermostat location.

Bedrooms are upstairs and the thermostat is on the ground floor. I was expecting that the upstairs would be too warm but thats not the case.

Are there any suggestions on where to start looking?? All registers are open.

Thanks

A couple of questions.

How are the windows, and insuation in the walls?

Do you run the fan ON?

Did the dealer upgraded the t-sat to a two stage t-stat?

Did the old furnace keep this room warm before?

opman

I will make assumption that your new system is sized correctly.

How was the temperature differential for this particular room before you installed new system?

It is very difficult to have a balanced system for a single system serving a two story home without zoning controls.

The sympton you described is usually the result of a room not getting enough airflow-ie a poorly designed ductwork system.

What can you do?

Ask your installing dealer to come back out and take some temperature readings in several rooms both on first and second floor. Suggest you do the same before his visit. I would also take a look at the obvious places for heat loss in this room such as windows and insulation. Upgrades here might help.

While var speed is a great feature, it can only marginally help situations with poor airflow.

I would also have dealer verify that your ductwork to this room is not collapsed or has some type of leakage issue.

You may need more return for the second floor.

This would be my starting place.

IMO
    Good Luck!

Have your installing dealer ballance you duct work to give you more air upstairs if possible. The furnace doesn't dictate how much air goes upstairs, the blower creates the airflow and the ductwork distributes it. You may have to install ballancing dampers in the trunk lines in the basement if they are not there. Could you post your equipment model # and general square footage.

Cold Upstairs

A couple of things:

1) New energy efficient windows installed last year so I suspect thats not the problem.
    2) I don't know how well insulated the exterior wall is however, it is cold to the touch when cold out. Short of ripping through the sheetrock, not sure what I can do.
    3) I shut off a register on the first floor directly below the affected room so I want to see how that helps (if at all)
    4) The installed will be back to finish another job soon so I will ask about the balancing duct work question.

This group is fantastic. For people who are unfamiliar with HVAC its a real comfort to know that there are professionals who are eager to help.

Thanks again

Back to mays last question.

Did the old furnace keep that room warm?
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Back to mays last question.

Did the old furnace keep that room warm?
    And also, what did they do for t-stat?

I'm with the other guys you need to get the installer back out to balance your duct system. As for the insulation in your walls you can check by removing an outlet and looking in the wall cavity to see what kind of insulation you have. You could possibly blow some insulation into your walls.
    Pretty easily done you just have to drill holes thru the sheetrock, blow in the insulation then patch the holes. It is amazing what a little insulation can do.

Quote Originally Posted by GOVHVAC View Post
    As for the insulation in your walls you can check by removing an outlet and looking in the wall cavity to see what kind of insulation you have.
    How are you going to do that? Unless where you live they do not use junction boxes for the electrical, but some how I suspect that they do.

More Answers - cold upstairs

Trying to remember but I don't think that the room was any warmer with the last furnace. The T-stat is two stage and the maker Honeywell.

I think the ductwork balancing is next and if thats not enough, thermostat controlled dampers in the system.

It does appear that the front rooms (upstairs) are cooler than those in the back so I'm wondering if there is already a damper favoring one side or the other.

I will have them back soon and let the group know what was found.

Thanks again

They may not have set teh furnace up to work with the stat. Have them double check that also.

We find that 2 stage furnaces with second stage controled by the stat tends to even out the room temps.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    They may not have set teh furnace up to work with the stat. Have them double check that also.

We find that 2 stage furnaces with second stage controled by the stat tends to even out the room temps.
    I agree with this. Does the furnace fire off in high right away when you bump the temp up higher than the room temp?

More from cold upstairs..

The installer was back and measured airflow to all of the rooms upstairs. There is one room (my baby daughter's room) that barely moved his airflow instrument. He suggested putting a duct-fan in but warned us of the potential for noise..

He checked around my basement for dampers to control flow but said that he couldn't find any? Is there any rule of logic used to determine where they would be? Also, I asked if there was a way to determine if the ductwork leading upstairs could be "checked" to make sure there was no blockage - he said there was no easy way to verify this.

One thing that might be worth mentioning, when we moved in to this house in 2000 - we had the duct system cleaned and disinfected. Could it be that either one of their plugs came out or maybe when they clean the system they control dampers and inadvertently left if closed?

I'm calling them as well to see if they can offer some suggestion.

I'm not blaming the new system but boy it's tough to spend about 13K and wake up a 9 month old baby with cold fingers!

Thanks again (don't worry about baby, she is doing just fine)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast