Frown Humidifier frustrations...Aprilaire 600

Will the 600 humidify effectively if mounted on the supply side of a heat pump system? (actually dual-fuel...80% 2-stage VS furnace, 16 seer 3-ton condensor)

Aprilaire guy says no...not without hot water. But I of course have one of those tankless heaters. Great for larger flows (we save big on gas each month), but no good for low-flow...the heater doesn't kick on.

Any of you have experience w/ a cold-water feed to a 600 on the supply-side of this type of system? Suggestions?

I've tried cold water on heat pumps. With hot water it will work fairly good not the best. Forget it if your trying to use cold water supply-it won't work well at all. You might want to go steam. Thanks!

It's a bypass humidifier. It doesn't matter whether on supply or return

Now in HP mode, cold water won't produce the highest amount of moisure. But in mild weather, you don't need a whole lot of humidity. When it gets cold and the gas comes on, you'll get hot air which will up the output when your humidity starts to drop.

I wouldn't lose sleep over this!

Hmm

So Baldie, you'd say it's worth having it? You're certainly right...humidity isn't a concern in milder weather, and we do have a good number of days/nights each year when the gas heat will be functioning. But the Aprilaire guy made it sound like we shouldn't even install the thing...

With some new wood flooring, we need to humidify one way or another.

I have the same model 600 that you are talking about installed on the supply side of a heat pump. I had concerns also when I saw in the installers instructions the it needed hot water to it. I hooked it up to the cold side and have used it for two years and it works great. One thing I would recommend is using the Aprilaire fan control to control the humidifier along with the humidistat. It watches the amp draws on the blower and will allow the humidifier to operate whenever the humidistat is calling and the fan is on. Leave the fan in the on position and this will increase the run time of the humidifier and not make it dependent on the heat cycle. That will keep your humidity level where you like it. Make sure the OD sensor is used instead of the manual mode for the humidistat.

Hooray! That's pretty encouraging...thanks Craig. I'm not where I can look at the unit right now; is the Aprilaire fan control that you mention part of the 600 kit or is it something that has to be purchased separately?

Craig, I forgot to add the second part of my question. Do you mean you leave the fan on continuous low-speed circulate? I have a Honeywell IAQ thermostat.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by kojak View Post
    Craig, I forgot to add the second part of my question. Do you mean you leave the fan on continuous low-speed circulate? I have a Honeywell IAQ thermostat.
    You do not need it it is part of the IAQ function set up #374 Dependind on the square footage and design layout of your house and the humidity level that you are seeking Aprilair rep is probably right. I would choose one of the whole house steam units, there are severall good brands out there.

Quote Originally Posted by kojak View Post
    The control is not part of the humidifier kit. It is called a "Model 50" that is the April Aire part number. It shows you in the installation instructions and gives you a wiring diagram. It senses the blower amp draws and makes the humidifier circuit. So yes if you leave the fan in the on or circulate position it will run the humidifier whenever the humidistat is reading a lower humidity than the setting on it. Also it comes with a outdoor sensor that I suggest using instead of the manual mode jumper they send. The humidistat will calculate outdoor temp and humidity to help give you a more accurate control. Do all of that and you will have no problems. I have put many of these on and a few of them were heat pumps, never have run hot water to them and had no problems. I have always used that Model 50 relay and set the fan to on or circulate though.