Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Carrier Performance 80 or Comfort 92 or Base 92

This is for construction of new home in the Washington DC area. The home will have Jeldwen lowE windows and doors.

I am upgrading the HVAC for a 7000 sqft home from the builders standards which are Carrier Base models to the following three zones on separate systems:

Zone1 first floor and basement 58mxb120-20 + 24apa560 + (cnpvp or capvp)

Zone2 send floor 58mxb80-16 + 24apa542 + (cnpvp or capvp)

Zone3 loft 58mcb 58mca40-08 + 24apa518 + (cnpvp or capvp)

[Note: zone 3 was originally a 13SEER Base heat pump. The interior units for zone 2 and zone 3 share a conditioned closet on the loft level]

QUESTION 1: Would there be any advantage to upgrading even further to either the comfort 92 or Performance 80 on any of these systems?

All three zones will have honeywell F150 media filters. Zones 1 and 2 have honeywell F265 humidifiers.

QUESTION 2: What advantages if any are there to purchase the honeywell media versus the carrier 4 inch media filter optional cabinets?

I want to add fresh air exchanger after I move in. Should I go with HRV or dehumidifier.

QUESTION 3: What make and model would you recommend and on which zones should I install it?

QUESTION 4: What thermostat make and model would you recommend?

Thanks in advance.

I'd stay with the MXB furnaces and change the a/c units for Heat Pump's. This will save you a ton of money in utilities!! Keep the carrier 4 in filters they work well. HRV . carrier thermidistat to control dual fuel and add humidifiers for winter. About the only other upgrade I could/would advise is if you went to the Infinity series to get the best controls.

Carrier all the way!

Hmm Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by aruddick View Post
    I'd stay with the MXB furnaces and change the a/c units for Heat Pump's. This will save you a ton of money in utilities!! Keep the carrier 4 in filters they work well. HRV . carrier thermidistat to control dual fuel and add humidifiers for winter. About the only other upgrade I could/would advise is if you went to the Infinity series to get the best controls.

Carrier all the way!
    TRANE!

As a home owner in the DC area I have a MXB furnace in one zone (2004 addition) and a Brayant Evolution (same as Carrier Infinity) in my main house, spring 2007 install.

I would recommend looking at upgrading to the Infinity System. The Variable Speed fan is worth it. Is very quiet compared to the fixed speed on the MXB. In addition you might consider getting the 2 stage Infinity AC unit.

Make sure they have done a manual J on the house. The systems you have listed are rather large. I found out after the fact that the system in my addition is oversized by a factor 2.

Also look at the AprilAire humidifier and Filter systems.

CIVIC

I agree with moveover about his suggestion of the Carrier/Bryant Infinity/Evolution systems. Obviously you are building an expensive home that you plan on being in for a long time. Why shortchange yourself in the HVAC equipment?

several questions.

What is the size of each zone?

Has dealer included zoning controls for zone 1-main floor/basement? Load calculations performed and reviewed by yourself and dealer?

I suggest an Infinity/Evolution 80% AFUE var speed furnace paired with a 2 stg HE heat pump with the Infinity controller. Satisfaction and comfort will be long remembered overe the cost differential.

IMO

Quote Originally Posted by kellyr24 View Post
    TRANE!
    Trane sucks

Thanks for all your help.

ANSWER:
    tigerdunes
    zone 1 is 3600 sgft finished, 5100 sqft total
    zone 2 is 3100 sqft
    zone 3 is 990 sqft

ANSWER
    tigerdunes/MoveOver
    I do think a Manual J was done. No load calc info was provided to me. Base Carrier units were included in Builder's price. They were the same size units. However, we upgraded the windows to LowE and there was no change in HVAC sizes which is another indicator that no load calc.

QUESTION: Can I use the Carrier humidistat controls with honewell humidifier?

Quote Originally Posted by civic4life2 View Post
    UESTION: Can I use the Carrier humidistat controls with honewell humidifier?
    Yes, But you definately want the Carrier themidistats, they control hummidity from the stat. No need to go to the hvac unit or have a humidistat on the wall

LowerE windows should lower the load on the house and a such the AC size.

I upgraded my windows and as a result my main unit dropped from 3.5 ton to 3 ton, and could have been lower but they only sell the Infinity/Evolution in whole sizes.

I have a total of about 5000 Sq FT finished. The 3 ton AC, 80K btu furnace handles 4000 Sq Ft. The oversized 2 ton/ 60k btu handles 1000 Sq Ft. Both 90+ furnaces. House has lot of southern exposure, no shade trees, dark roof etc and I have no problem keeping the house cool or heated.

The Infinity system can control any humidifier and uses its own outside temperature sensor to adjust indoor humidity to avoid condensation.
    I would ask for a quote on the Infinity System, it is worth every extra dollar. When on low we don't even notice that is running.

I think Honeywells are just relabled AprilAire's

Confused Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by aruddick View Post
    Trane sucks
    Why?Is it the SpineFin superiority, or the CleanEffects superiority Don't hate the playa, hate the game

Why?Is it the SpineFin superiority, or the CleanEffects superiority Don't hate the playa, hate the game
    Acutally I am a big fan of the Trane cond units. We sold them for a while(wasn't a bad second line)

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    TRANE!
    WHAT? lol

Thumbs up Thanks.

I appreciate all of you for your assistance. I am going to stay pat with the above selections. I will purchase the humidistat after I move in. Builder markup is the reason that I do not want to push any further. I will request that they prewire for the outdoor temperature sensors.

Thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast