Thread: Advice on Mini Split needed - LG or MITSU

Post Likes

Advice on Mini Split needed - LG or MITSU

I am getting a mini for a room above the garage. I have been offered a choice of an LG 13 SEER or a MITSU 17 SEER. There's a premium on the MITSU (of course). The LG has dehumidification, I believe it measures humidity and controls the compressor cycle. The MITSU requires more electrical work, needing a couple of breakers.

Appreciate advice on merits of these mfrers.

The room is about 320 sq. ft that does not include a stairwell, one window facing south that gets all the heat in summer. The dealer is planning on a 1 Ton unit. Thanks again.

Fairfield and NewHaven Counties in Commecticut
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gmahler View Post
    I am getting a mini for a room above the garage. I have been offered a choice of an LG 13 SEER or a MITSU 17 SEER. There's a premium on the MITSU (of course). The LG has dehumidification, I believe it measures humidity and controls the compressor cycle. The MITSU requires more electrical work, needing a couple of breakers.

The room is about 320 sq. ft that does not include a stairwell, one window facing south that gets all the heat in summer. The dealer is planning on a 1 Ton unit. Thanks again.

Get the mitsu heat pump MXZ series heat pump, only small wire from outdoor to the indoor unit. You dont need de-humidification with an inverter compressor. Check it out.

This is not a fair compair..................compair Mits to Daikin.

http://www.mrslim.com/Products/Categ...tCategoryID=24
    Quality and Value Service and Repair

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Freezeking2000 View Post
    Get the mitsu heat pump MXZ series heat pump, only small wire from outdoor to the indoor unit. You dont need de-humidification with an inverter compressor. Check it out.

This is not a fair compair..................compair Mits to Daikin.

http://www.mrslim.com/Products/Categ...tCategoryID=24
    Could you elaborate a little bit on your 2 points (1) don't need dehumidification (2) not fair comparison - is the mits in a different league altogether. I don't know anything about mini splits.

Post Likes
    The inverter technology of the better models allows the compressor to slow down and not cycle off. This along with the corrected power factor and 16 seer rating blows away the others.

Post Likes
    Could you elaborate a little bit on your 2 points (1) don't need dehumidification (2) not fair comparison - is the mits in a different league altogether. I don't know anything about mini splits.
    What model Mits are you looking at?

Post Likes

Hi Freeze - I have a wiring question

I've chosen MSZ-A12NA. I am giving the job to someone I sort of know who does a lot of regular heat pumps but has also done several mini-splits (but only 1 MITSU). That's because I couldn't get the local 'diamond dealer' to respond. Anyway, I've read up on the technology so I know a little more about it and I'm impressed. Since they all say it's so easy to install I guess a HVAC Pro ought to be able to do it. Comments?

My installer says that this unit is going to require two disconnects. One inside the house and one outside. I looked up the install manual on line and it only mentions one (depending on codes). My installer says he thinks that the inside unit runs on 110 and the outside on 230. It's possible he looked up the wrong model, he's going to check.

Can you tell me what's needed? My reading online seems to suggest the outside unit sends back a DC current to control the inside units? Thanks for your input.

Post Likes
    Most local codes require some form of power disconnect indoors and outdoors. Use a standard disconnect outdoors. Have your installer look into using a 4 wire 14ga tray cable to make connection from outdoor to indoor. All four wires in a tray cable are clearly marked "one, two, three and four". S1 to one, S2 to two, S3 to three and finally use "four" for ground. Use the Mitsubishi 3 pole switch in a standard single switch box. Looks much better than using a disconnect box. Not to mention , Mitsubishi wants you to break all three wires. Their switch has t1,t2,t3 on one side and m1,m2,m3 on the other. I usually have to beat my salesman with stick to have them mention the switch to the customer at time of sale. Naturally, the pictures in the brochure never show any form of disconnect.

Post Likes
    Freeze is right along with others. Mits is the thing here. Daikin or Sanyo could be considered equal. For some brain baffeling reason 12-2 will screw the electronics up at times. Make sure it is 14awg. You will be happy
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the comments. I'll pass it along to the installer. Just a couple more q's: (1) Is there a DC signal going to the indoor unit on these wires? (2) when I called MITS and talked to their 'product consultant', I asked him how the mini split would perform when outside temps go down. He said that unlike regular heat pumps, the mini split would continue to provide heat at ANY outside temp. and get this, because 'it would extract heat from just running the compressor'. He said it transferred mechanical energy into heat. This seemed like the most fantastic b.s. I've heard. How does the mini perform at low outside temps and should I consider a unit with aux heat? Thanks again, this is a great forum.

Post Likes
    You should add Fujitsu to your list. Their 1 ton unit is SEER 21! And, in my experience, they are as reliable, are as good, have dehumidification, and usually cost less than the Mitsu units.
    And a simple double pole breaker feeds the whole bang.
    I wasn't aware Mitsu minisplits required multiple power feeds. Is this true?

Post Likes

Installed MITS MS-A12NA

Well, it's been only a few hours since instal - very pleased. It is quiet, both inside and out. My wife can hear the corn grow and she can barely hear it. The fan is on auto, so it may not be running at the highest speed. Good advice! Thanks.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kuryakin View Post
    You should add Fujitsu to your list. Their 1 ton unit is SEER 21! And, in my experience, they are as reliable, are as good, have dehumidification, and usually cost less than the Mitsu units.

Mitsubishi only needs one double breaker as I stated in my response. But you have to power the indoor from the outdoor. I just suggested the tray cable since it easy to work with and is clearly marked. Two legs carry 230v, I think s1 and s2. S2 to S3 is dc voltage. Always check first as I do not have the schematic with me right now.

Post Likes
    I am totally with u there i have been installing a ton of these 21 seer units and havnt had any calls on them and there like a 1/3 the price of a sanyo etc

Post Likes
    I have used t stat wire from the indoor to the outdoor units. FLA is 1A on the indoor units. They now reguire 14/3 between units on the entire product line to simplify things.

Post Likes
    14 gage is also required because it's code, and T stat wire is VERY unsafe!! It has neither the voltage rating, nor can it handle the potential overload current.
    I HOPE you are only kidding...

Quote Originally Posted by Freezeking2000 View Post
    I have used t stat wire from the indoor to the outdoor units. FLA is 1A on the indoor units. They now reguire 14/3 between units on the entire product line to simplify things.

Post Likes
    Why not consider a Samsung product (www.quietside.com) offering an interesting look in the Vivace Series and similar technolgy as the Mitsubishi.

Post Likes
    14 gage is also required because it's code, and T stat wire is VERY unsafe!! It has neither the voltage rating, nor can it handle the potential overload current.
    I HOPE you are only kidding...
    THE SPEC USED TO BE A LOW VOLTAGE WIRE(THEY GAVE YOU THE BELDIN # AND ALL.)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in