Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Combustion air intake

My new gas furnace is direct vent, my old furnace was not. Do I still need the old combustion air intake that is tied into the return air system?
    Thanks

Explain a little more or some pics.

Are you sure it was for combustion air? It could be ( seeing as it's connected to the return air)
    fresh air make-up for the entire home.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

it is a 4 inch duct with 1/4 inch screen. What is it and do I still need it?
    Thanks so much
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Exclamation Not sure what codes;

are used in Canada, but in the U.S. it would be a clear code violation. You have what appears to be a fresh air intake directly next to your furnace exhaust which is allowing your by- products of combustion to be drawn back into the house and distributed. I would have your installer come back and correct the defficiency right away.

if it is tied into return air you need it if the house is built tight.

if you do keep it it needs to be moved away from furnace exhaust as stated before.

Quote Originally Posted by DBarker View Post
    it is a 4 inch duct with 1/4 inch screen. What is it and do I still need it?
    Thanks so much
    Are you feeling sleepy?
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

My new gas furnace is direct vent, my old furnace was not. Do I still need the old combustion air intake that is tied into the return air system?
    Thanks
    If it was tied into your return it was not a combustion air intake. Disconnect it and see if your windows start condensating
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Smile Good stuff!

The installer left a file with all the documentation for the installed equipment. I looked at the furnace install document to see what it said about clearances between intakes, I need to know if the old intake is considered "mechanical".
    See direct vent clearances, item J and K.
    I have already plugged it off untill this CO2 thing is cleared up. The furnace has not yet ran, except for testing at start up, as the heat pump is doing the job.
    This forum is very good.
    Thanks all
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Mn the state where absolutey nothing is allowed
    first: second opinion is right,it needs to be moved away from the new furnace vent
    second: no mater if its mechanical or passive the question to ask is there other gas appliances in the home??? a gas water heater still needs air.

It looks lioke a fresh air for you entire house but couldn't tell for sure. The fresh air here in Nebraska must be 10' from any exaust. I am sure that your codes wqould say somthing like this. The installers should have known this as it could be very dangerous. Do not run the furnace until this is fixed.

Was this done by a reputable HVAC company?
    Its a good Life!

Hmm Make-Up and or Combustion Air Intakes

DBarker

Here are my recommendations:
    Cover the "Make-Up Air" intake on the outside.
    (Note if the duct is connected to the return it is Make-Up Air not Combustion.)
    Call your City/local HVAC inspector to review the two vents After they confirm one of them must be moved, move the furnace exhaust as it is easier.
    Then uncover the Make-UP Air Intake
    Then use the hole in the wall if you have a gas water heater, to install a Combustion Intake by using a dryer vent with the flapper-removed by running the duct down the wall into a five-gallon pail.
    Now sit back and be safe and warm with your new furnace, a Make-up and a Combustion Air Intake!
    The quality of my performance, sometimes depends on the quality of my audience.
    Imitation (Plagiarism) is the best compliment one can get -- "Open A Window"

To improve Indoor Air Quality: Control Indoor Air QUANTITY = "I.A.Q.Q."

The installer left a file with all the documentation for the installed equipment. I looked at the furnace install document to see what it said about clearances between intakes, I need to know if the old intake is considered "mechanical".
    See direct vent clearances, item J and K.
    I have already plugged it off untill this CO2 thing is cleared up. The furnace has not yet ran, except for testing at start up, as the heat pump is doing the job.
    This forum is very good.
    Thanks all
    I never saw the photos before. Your old intake is a mechanical intake. You probably need 6 to 10 feet of clearance from the furnace vent/combustion air intake.

If you block off the vent now, you could notice a rise in winter humidity levels to the point that your windows condensate.

If you used to run a humidifier all winter with the old furnace, maybe your house leaks enough to keep RH down.
    The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast