+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wade through conflicting information

Post Likes

Wade through conflicting information

Being a new tech you will have to wade through conflicting information. And there is a lot out there. Depending on the tech you talk to and the books you read you can have 3 to 4 answers for the same question and they are all completely different. If you have books and they are good books, trust them and follow their instructions. If you know reliable techs, trust them and follow their instruction. BUT YOU WILL HAVE TO WADE THROUGH CONFLICTING INFORMATION! It's annoying but worth the time.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbucks View Post
    Being a new tech you will have to wade through conflicting information. And there is a lot out there. Depending on the tech you talk to and the books you read you can have 3 to 4 answers for the same question and they are all completely different. If you have books and they are good books, trust them and follow their instructions. If you know reliable techs, trust them and follow their instruction. BUT YOU WILL HAVE TO WADE THROUGH CONFLICTING INFORMATION! It's annoying but worth the time.
    If you meet a guy who doesn't charge a package unit by weight from vacuum (weight is clearly shown on the sticker for each circuit) then I'd be suspect of any further advice.

Just don't put down the books and never ignore oem literature when installing or servicing if possible! While almost anybody has at least one useful tip, a lot of guys could care less about doing the job as perfectly as possible. You'll eventually learn who the bull****ters are

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    I've talked to quite a few good techs but I've talked to quite a few bad techs. It's amazing how much conflicting info there is. For someone that is concerned with doing things right, it's difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    You are way over the 15 posts needed to apply for pro status. Why not go for it and open up your learning opportunities right here?
    If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Post Likes
    That's why I'm on this forum. I'm trying to learn as much as I can. Can you apply for pro status if you aren't currently working for a company in this trade?

Post Likes
    Are you in school? Have an EPA card? There are listed requirements. Check them out, and submit.

Yes, there can be conflicting information. As noted, you'll find out who to listen to, and who not to listen to. Sometimes the hard way.

However, my advise is this;
    One, of many things I learned in the Navy.
    If you do it BY THE BOOK, you're doing it right.
    Read the code.
    There are generic materials in the books that are pretty good, but, if you have a manufacturers service/install manual, that should be followed. It should always take the front seat to everything except code.

There is a right way, and a wrong way to everything.
    There is a difference between getting a process customer back online, and making money, while you get the parts you need, knowing you will make the repair, and making an unsafe/halfassed repair because a customer doesn't want to spend money.

I can't be bought, but I can be rented. My integrity is NEVER for rent or sale. And never in question. Do the right thing.

Take pride in what you do. I like to take pictures of my work. Whether it's control wiring, piping, or retrofitting, bikes, cars, etc.

That serves a few purposes. It allows you to see the progression of your work, and skills. It can help troubleshooting over the phone later, and possibly resume material.

Good luck,
    Chase

Post Likes
    Thanks. Yes I went through school and I'm EPA 608 universal certified. I only want to do things right. I read my books and always end up going with what my books say. There are good techs and really bad techs.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasespeed View Post
    Are you in school? Have an EPA card? There are listed requirements. Check them out, and submit.

Yes, there can be conflicting information. As noted, you'll find out who to listen to, and who not to listen to. Sometimes the hard way.

However, my advise is this;
    One, of many things I learned in the Navy.
    If you do it BY THE BOOK, you're doing it right.
    Read the code.
    There are generic materials in the books that are pretty good, but, if you have a manufacturers service/install manual, that should be followed. It should always take the front seat to everything except code.

There is a right way, and a wrong way to everything.
    There is a difference between getting a process customer back online, and making money, while you get the parts you need, knowing you will make the repair, and making an unsafe/halfassed repair because a customer doesn't want to spend money.

I can't be bought, but I can be rented. My integrity is NEVER for rent or sale. And never in question. Do the right thing.

Take pride in what you do. I like to take pictures of my work. Whether it's control wiring, piping, or retrofitting, bikes, cars, etc.

That serves a few purposes. It allows you to see the progression of your work, and skills. It can help troubleshooting over the phone later, and possibly resume material.

Good luck,
    Chase
    This guy, is 100% correct. Never do anything to compromise your integrity or rep even if you think nobody is watching...if word gets out that you mix refrigerant or use copper pipe as fuses then you'll be known by everybody in a bad way.

Just don't waver for anybody even your boss, heck, your boss might appreciate your ethics!

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    A smart cricket once said, "Let your conscience be your guide."

Absolutely learn the right way to do it - by the book. You will also pick up tricks and work-arounds with experience. You need to distinguish what is a hack, and what is getting a critical piece of equipment back online. If the latter, is it a temporary fix, or one that you would sign your name to and post on here as a permanent repair.

Temp repair? I take those on a case by case basis. I have NOT performed a band-aid in the past knowing the customer and that once the heat/cool/process is back on the real repair would never get approved. I have been bitten by that before, knowing I have a couple of years-old band-aids (now hacks) out there with my name on them.

Function and Safety: What does the equipment have to do, and what can it not be permitted to do? A lot of my "outside the box" work falls back on those two questions.

Appearance and durability: Does it look like a professional repair? Are all the screws in all the holes? Are all of the weather and/or safety guards back in place? Are all of the components and wiring secure?

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in