Confused Changing filter drier on YCWS chiller

Hi guys,
    I need to change the liquid line filter driers on a York YCWS chiller & I want to know the best way to go about it. I know there is a service valve to close at the drier itself, but I don't know if the LLS valve is going to be good enough to stay shut for me to evacuate or do I need to close off another valve further upstream? It seems that there should be an easy way to do this without having to remove a lot of refrigerant.
    Thanks for replies!

Why are you changing them?

Quote Originally Posted by moshmont View Post
    Hi guys,
    I need to change the liquid line filter driers on a York YCWS chiller & I want to know the best way to go about it. I know there is a service valve to close at the drier itself, but I don't know if the LLS valve is going to be good enough to stay shut for me to evacuate or do I need to close off another valve further upstream? It seems that there should be an easy way to do this without having to remove a lot of refrigerant.
    Thanks for replies!
    If you have to ask you need onsite help I would imagine.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

I have a boss that thinks since the two chillers we have are 8 years old that the filter drier cartridges should be changed for "predictive" maintenance. We never have any real trouble, & he has me change the compressor oil filter cartridges every year.

Quote Originally Posted by moshmont View Post
    I have a boss that thinks since the two chillers we have are 8 years old that the filter drier cartridges should be changed for "predictive" maintenance. We never have any real trouble, & he has me change the compressor oil filter cartridges every year.
    That's not predictive...it is preventative. And changing the filter driers every year can be a bad thing.

jamesyarbrough is offline Foul Mouth/Bad attitude. Removed from posting
    Maybe some of the more seasoned techs could correct me if im wrong, but we were taught in school to check for pressure or temp difference on the inlet and outlet of filter dryers to see if they need replaced. If you dont have any pressure loss there is no restriction and it doesn't need to be changed.

Well, Now you guys see what I'm up against.
    I try to explain that even if you pump the system down & close off the valves, on a unit this size, you'll still have quite a bit of refrigerant to reclaim on top of opening a sealed system & taking a chance of contaminating something that has nothing wrong with it to begin with.
    "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"! This to me isn't preventative OR predictive. It's looking to cause problems (I can't think of a good word for it).

Funny how the boss knows better than the manufacturer. In all the years I worked for the company that manufactured that chiller I never changed a liquid liner drier "just because". It was only done when a compressor was replaced or if the system was opened for some other reason.

Have your boss read page 82 of this manual and ask him to point out where it says to replace the driers.

Well Thanks KnewYork!
    I may be able to sway him. But this is also the guy who bought 25 - 30 lb. cylinders of r-22 "just in case"!