Cracked Henny Penny 580 Frypot

Cracked Henny Penny 580 Frypot

Has anybody ever repaired a cracked frypot on a Henny Penny 580 pressure cooker? The repair company I usually use said they have welded them in the past, but that now they are a partner with Henny Penny and are no longer allowed to do so. Called HP, they do not recommend repairing, they will not sell replacement pot--they give you a trade in allowance toward a new unit (new one costs appx $12000). My questions are : 1) Anybody ever done this I would not be doing the welding myself); 2) How hard is it to get the frypot out (if possible at all). I manage a KFC (my brother in law owns) and I do a lot of repairs but don't want to bite off more than I can chew.
    Thanks.

Manufacturer doesn't recommend a repair. You take it and have it welded, an accident happens and you are liable. Bite the bullet and get a new one

Have a certified pressure vessel welder look at the pot he will be able to tell you if it can be safely welded. I know of some kfc's who have done this and have good results in our area. Theses guys can weld, he most likely will be a union fitter or sheet metal welder. if its do able your bill will less than a grand.
    So you didn't ask, what you though was a stupid question. Now how, are you going to tell the boss about your stupid screw up?

Thanks--I talked to another franchisee and got the name of a welder who has done this type of thing--no one in my town has this type of experience. Hopefully I can get the unit to him next week and see what he thinks.
    thanks again.

Thumbs down Uhhh!!!

I've done alot of these swaps and I've found that you do NOT save any money having the pot repaired. By the time they've cracked they're done! I'd price out a new pot and compare how much you will save the customer after you ship and or go thru the trouble of repairing the pot because it may not hold very long and you'll be doing that anyway!

Let me know how it goes!

I have welded these in in the past and it is a temporary fix. Stainless in a tempered aloy steal and if there is a stress crack the integrity of the steal has been compromised. It will crack again close to the welding.

Thanks to all for your input. I had a welder repair the crack, and he said basically what genesis said-it would be temporary because all the heating and cooling was causing something like metal fatigue. I put the unit under pressure and had no leaks. I need to replace the insulation panels, then I'm going the check it out again. I figure we'll use it as a back up unit (we have 2 others) and hopefully next year buy a new one. These are great fryers, but very EXPENSIVE!
    Thanks again.

i know this is an old post
    But i have fixed more the 25 over the years and I have rebuilt the same Call me if you have any 580 issues 601-433-1395

You can also buy rebuilt fryers from Henny Penny.. Much cheaper than a brand new one