View Poll Results: would you call him/her a Christian

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes: Christian

34 72.34%
  • no: not a Christian

13 27.66%
Page 57 of 61 FirstFirst ... 747505152535455565758596061 LastLast
    Little quicker on the draw than me, Robin.
    TB
    Everyone knows something I don't.

2 Chronicles 7:14
    14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Well, if you are going to be anal about this, how do you justify making the contradictory statement that the Jesus wasn't crucified because the ancient Greek work used in the New Testament Bible is "stauros"? The term stauros does imply crucifiction. In all instances that stauros is used in the New Testament, it implies the Greek usage of that term to mean crucifiction. From Strong's Concordance Greek Dictionary of the New Testament;

word number 4716: Used 28 times, stauros; a stake, post or cross stand (stao) used as an instrument of capital punishment.

stauros denotes (1) "the cross, or stake itself," e.g. Mt 27:32; (2) "the crucifiction suffered," e.g. 1 Cor 1:17 (3) Gal 5:11 where crucifixion is metaphorically used lf the renunciation of the world, that characterizes the true Christian life or (4) The judicial custom by which the condemned person carried his stake to the place of execution......

There are many uses for most older words because there were just not as many specifically defined words 2,000 years ago as there are today. All etomological scholars of today agree with the Strong's usages of ancient Greek terms used in the New Testament books.

Whether Jesus was crucified by a cross, a stake, a pole or a big stick....He was crucified.

Again; this has nothing to do with this thread. If you are not a Christian, why are you interrupting a thread relating to how Christians feel about each other?
    Sys' posts are a culmination of someone who claims to not be a JW but has bought into JW doctrine hook, line, and sinker. And there ain't a Greek, Hebrew, Aramaic, or Latin language scholar on the JW translation board. So go figure.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Sorta, kinda on topic and interesting. Got this in an email from a friend.

Dear Children,

It has come to my attention that many you are upset that folks are taking My name out of the season. Maybe you've forgotten that I wasn't actually born during this time of the year and that it was some of your predecessors who decided to celebrate My birthday on what was actually a time of pagan festival. Although I do appreciate being remembered anytime.

How I personally feel about this celebration can probably be most easily understood by those of you who have been blessed with children of your own. I don't care what you call the day. If you want to celebrate My birth, just GET ALONG AND LOVE ONE ANOTHER.

Now, having said that let Me go on. If it bothers you that the town in which you live doesn't allow a scene depicting My birth, then just get rid of a couple of Santas and snowmen and put in a small Nativity scene on your own front lawn. If all My followers did that there wouldn't be any need for such a scene on the town square because there would be many of them all around town.

Stop worrying about the fact that people are calling the tree a holiday tree, instead of a Christmas tree. It was I who made all trees. You can remember Me anytime you see any tree. Decorate a grape vine if you wish: I actually spoke of that one in a teaching, explaining who I am in relation to you and what each of our tasks were. If you have forgotten that one, look up John 15: 1 - 8.

If you want to give Me a present in remembrance of My birth here is my wish list. Choose something from it:

1. Instead of writing protest letters objecting to the way My birthday is being celebrated, write letters of love and hope to soldiers away from home. They are terribly afraid and lonely this time of year. I know, they tell Me all the time.

2. Visit someone in a nursing home. You don't have to know them personally. They just need to know that someone cares about them.

3. Instead of writing George complaining about the wording on the cards his staff sent out this year, why don't you write and tell him that you'll be praying for him and his family this year. Then follow up. It will be nice hearing from you again.

4. Instead of giving your children a lot of gifts you can't afford and they don't need, spend time with them. Tell them the story of My birth, and why I came to live with you down here. Hold them in your arms and remind them that I love them.

5. Pick someone that has hurt you in the past and forgive him or her.

6. Did you know that someone in your town will attempt to take their own life this season because they feel so alone and hopeless? Since you don't know who that person is, try giving everyone you meet a warm smile; it could make the difference.

7. Instead of nit picking about what the retailer in your town calls the holiday, be patient with the people who work there. Give them a warm smile and a kind word. Even if they aren't allowed to wish you a "Merry Christmas" that doesn't keep you from wishing them one. Then stop shopping there on Sunday. If the store didn't make so much money on that day they'd close and let their employees spend the day at home with their families

8. If you really want to make a difference, support a missionary-- especially one who takes My love and Good News to those who have never heard My name.

9. Here's a good one. There are individuals and whole families in your town who not only will have no "Christmas" tree, but neither will they have any presents to give or receive. If you don't know them, buy some food and a few gifts and give them to the Salvation Army or some other charity which believes in Me and they will make the delivery for you.

1 0. Finally, if you want to make a statement about your belief in and loyalty to Me, then behave like a Christian. Don't do things in secret that you wouldn't do in My presence. Let people know by your actions that you are one of mine.

Don't forget; I am God and can take care of Myself. Just love Me and do what I have told you to do. I'll take care of all the rest. Check out the list above and get to work; time is short. I'll help you, but the ball is now in your court. And do have a most blessed Christmas with all those whom you love and remember : I LOVE YOU, JESUS

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

Proud member of KA Club

Well, it's about my email, so, it's still sorta, kinda about me.

KNUCKLEHEAD? No one has called me that since I was a kid
    Well, when the shoe fits.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Thanks David. Someone else who wanted to berate and belittle me beat you to giving me the real info on why my email was banned.
    I certainly hope my email was not berating. If so, you're not nearly as tough as your internet bravado would indicate.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Whether Jesus was crucified by a cross, a stake, a pole or a big stick....He was crucified.

Again; this has nothing to do with this thread. If you are not a Christian, why are you interrupting a thread relating to how Christians feel about each other?
    Stauros is stake. It was a stake. Using the cross came later and so did the expanded definition.

Actually, it has everything to do with this thread. If you are on a "cleaning" mission with Christmas and Easter why not look into it all and clean it all up?

EDIT 1 Peter 2:24 24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed. --KJV

Mark 14: 48"Am I leading a rebellion," said Jesus, "that you have come out with swords and clubs to capture me? --NIV

Acts 5:30 The God of our fathers raised Jesus from the dead—whom you had killed by hanging him on a tree. ---NIV

The STAUROS of the New Testament: Cross or Stake?

This page will address the following questions:

What was its form in the case of Jesus Christ? Was it a two-beamed cross or a simple upright stake?

Was wood scarce in and around Jerusalem at the time and does this have any bearing on what method the Romans used in Jesus' case?

What does the Greek word mean?

Are there scriptures that 'point' to its form?

What weight should be given to post-N.T christian writers?

Can archaeological findings, such as supposed 1st century christian inscriptions, be of help?

Has the New World Translation's choice been critiqued fairly?

Is the New World Translation alone in its preferred rendering?

Whatever form it was should we have it as a symbol in our places of worship or cherish, hold as dear, the implement of Christ's death?

The word "stauros" occurs 27 times in the Christian Greek Scriptures(the 'New Testament'). This word has been consistently translated in the New World Translation as "torture stake" and never as "cross". It is the implement on which Jesus Christ was afixed and executed. Also, another Greek word was used by the Bible writers "xylon", as the same implement of execution in regard to Jesus, which denotes, "wood, a piece of wood, anything made of wood..."-Vine. At those places where "xylon" is used in connection with Jesus' execution the New World Translation has rendered it as "stake". Is there any justification for the New World Translation to do this with these Greek words?

Vines Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words says:

"STAUROS....denotes, primarily, an upright pale or stake. On such malefactors ware nailed for execution. Both the noun and the verb stauroo, to fasten to a stake or pale, are originally to be distinguished from the ecclesiastical form of a two beamed cross. The shape of the latter had it's origin in ancient Chaldea, and was used of the symbol of of the god Tammaz

EDIT 2: You die from suffocation asphyxiation if your arms are above your head, especially when your legs are broken. Can't say the same if it's a cross.
    Last edited by sysint; 12-10-2007 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bootlen View Post
    Sys' posts ......
    1. TB doesn't care about scholars and neither do you unless they say exactly what you want.

This is nothing but one large personal attack of which you are good at. I'll wait that really long time for some content.

EDIT: Anyway, the JW's would say "torture stake". Stake would be enough for me as it's a device of executing people, not torturing. It means stake or pale, and when referring to a "tree" it really means a board, club or stick.
    Last edited by sysint; 12-10-2007 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    I certainly hope my email was not berating. If so, you're not nearly as tough as your internet bravado would indicate.
    All in fun jr, I take all of this in fun. Never stop poking fun at me or I'll think you might not like me
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cureÖ
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by sysint View Post
    1. TB doesn't care about scholars and neither do you unless they say exactly what you want.

This is nothing but one large personal attack of which you are good at. I'll wait that really long time for some content.

EDIT: Anyway, the JW's would say "torture stake". Stake would be enough for me as it's a device of executing people, not torturing. It means stake or pale, and when referring to a "tree" it really means a board, club or stick.
    Sorry sys, it appears that the initial as well as substaining attacks are your doing on this one. You only seem to want to argue semantics by using writings that pretty much reduce your claims to mere twisting of teminologies. I'm bored now with your viewpoints so don't think I am not reading your posts if I don't respond. Hopefully I will simply be able to just ignore any more of your irrelevant rants and fabrications.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cureÖ
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Did I understand you correctly that you are on a personal mission to keep yourself separate from the paganism in Christmas and Easter?

Why wouldn't it be a good thing to examine all aspects of paganism?

Regarding a cross versus a stake, there is enough evidence. You can find early paintings, medically it makes more sense on a stake, and Vines is hardly an irrelevant source.

The real twisting of terminologies comes in the "definition 2's". When you have a Strong's that really comes out and states what it is and then secondarily calls it a cross, you can honestly see what is happening. That's an awful lot of peer pressure.

Is it really any different than bunnies at Easter or other non-Christian adaptations in Christmas? Why do it when you have the opportunity to not do it?

Quote Originally Posted by TB View Post
    In the quote from me that you referred to, why would that offend you, if they were watchtower sites you quoted from? If they weren't, then I was wrong and the offence is mine, not yours. And if they were the only sites you could find your support on, then wouldn't that suggest the point was exclusive to only a few groups?
    Sorry on the delay TB I've been in a cave studying for NATE.

I'm not offended in the least being called a JW, or a Wiccan, or a fart mouth, or whatever (just don't call me shirley! )

In this post:
    Quote Originally Posted by numbawunfela View Post
    And that is all usually. no elaboration, as if that is all that needs to be said.
    I said:
    the only problem though is that more often than not (in the last three months anyway) the posts run like this one (thanks Bootlen for VERY conveniently providing just the examples needed):

I made the headings bold to devide the posts better......
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bootlen View Post
    You consider saying someone posting a JW opinion to be insulting or name-calling?

Very telling.
    Quote:
    Another JW opinion.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TB View Post
    Interesting, numba, you do your "pokeing arround" on watchtower society sites.
    Why does that not suprise me.

And that is all usually. no elaboration, as if that is all that needs to be said. (Not to bash on Bootlen, his quotes were just a lot handier, that's all. Sorry Boot!). I don't care all that much that JW's are getting bashed on, it just makes it hard to carry on a conversation, that's all. Ya know? Very telling of what, Bootlen? I was just asking about Bushnu and Ishtar and Trinity stuff, now I still don't know the answer because I was supposedly poking around on Watchtower society websites? And if you check the post, I hadn't been to a watchtower site:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by numbawunfela View Post
    The only website i could find....

Quote Originally Posted by TB View Post
    And if they were the only sites you could find your support on, then wouldn't that suggest the point was exclusive to only a few groups?
    It would, but being as it is I like my bible and don't make it a habit of studying occult stuff like you at one time did, I was asking for your opinion.

CAll me whatever you like, but don't use any supposed religious affiliation as an excuse to dodge an uncomfortable topic. If you don't care to answer, that is fine. I told Sys point blank i would not answer a question. the issue is posturing, diversion, using a label to frame a discussion to put your opponent in a weak position.

Call me what you like,I just figured you would have something productive to say, that's all.
    Hmmmm....smells like numbatwo to me.

I said:
    the only problem though is that more often than not (in the last three months anyway) the posts run like this one (thanks Bootlen for VERY conveniently providing just the examples needed):

You consider saying someone posting a JW opinion to be insulting or name-calling?

Very telling.

Another JW opinion.

(Not to bash on Bootlen, his quotes were just a lot handier, that's all. Sorry Boot!). I don't care all that much that JW's are getting bashed on, it just makes it hard to carry on a conversation, that's all. Ya know? Very telling of what, Bootlen?

Firstly, I don't feel bashed and there is no need for apology. I said what I said and stand on it.

Secondly, I mention "JW" and you indicate being offended. That tells me you take the mention as a cut or insult.

When someone refers to me as a "fundy", I am not insulted. A fundy simply takes the Word of God as truth and without error. I will tell you that that is EXACTLY what I believe and do so without apology or shame.

It's called standing on one's beliefs.

Proud member of KA Club

Well, some of my views may be shared by Unitarians, JW's, "fundies", Catholics, Anglicans, Baptist, and Arian-orientated Christian religions (among maybe some others)

Happy to narrow it down for you. How 'bout yourself boot?

Page 57 of 61 FirstFirst ... 747505152535455565758596061 LastLast