Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes: Christian

34 72.34%
  • no: not a Christian

13 27.66%
Page 54 of 61 FirstFirst ... 444474849505152535455565758596061 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sysint View Post
    First of all, that's rare. I guess all that's left is to get rid of that cross as that is what you think the enemies of Jesus used to kill him and you are giving it top billing right now. Do you think the mall in Omaha is going to mount the gun in the mall the killer used? (same type of thing to me)
    How's that rare? Maybe in your neck of the woods. The cross is only to remind us of Jesus' sacrifice for our sins. It has nothing in common at all with a killer's weapon used to kill innocent people and then to send himself to hell.

Quote Originally Posted by TB View Post
    That may be true, but look around you. Can you name another time of the year where Christian music (carols), are played publicly, bringing the message with them? Is there any other time of the year where the message of giving rings louder through the social spectrum? There is a light shining through the confused season still, but it is being quenched.
    Just how many songs you hear this time of year are actually True to Jesus Christ? I just received a free "Christmas" cd in the mail titled; "The Songs of Christmas". Here is the rundown of songs;

It's the most wonderful time of the year
    Winter wonderland
    Jingle bells
    The twelve days of Christmas
    We need a little Christmas
    Jingle bell rock
    Here we go a caroling/Deck the halls/We wish you a Merry Christmas (medley)
    The Christmas Song (Merry Christmas to You)

Not one of these songs promotes anything that Jesus Christ teaches us.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cureÖ
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by oloenneker View Post
    Wow....

Just paging through this thread just reinforces why I am an Atheist...

Thanks for the positive reinforcements....

OK, Maybe I am not really an Atheist, because I do worship big volcano's

You are an atheist because you choose to be. That is your God given right of choice. Don't go blaming others for your not having a relationship with God. That is a personal relationship between you and God and God's spiritual arms are wide open for you when you decide to stop denying His love.

Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    Hmmm. In a biblical sense "to know him' means to have sex with him.
    Not in all uses of the term. There are enough misconceptions without your injecting stupidity into the mix just to muddy things up even worse then they already are.

First of all, that's rare. I guess all that's left is to get rid of that cross as that is what you think the enemies of Jesus used to kill him and you are giving it top billing right now. Do you think the mall in Omaha is going to mount the gun in the mall the killer used? (same type of thing to me)
    What is your problem? If you are not a Christian, what the hell are you doing injecting your opinions in a thread about Christians?

What seems to be considered Christian now wasn't in the 1st century. Apparently you only want to clean up part of Christianity.
    Last edited by sysint; 12-09-2007 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by icchvac View Post
    How's that rare? Maybe in your neck of the woods. The cross is only to remind us of Jesus' sacrifice for our sins. It has nothing in common at all with a killer's weapon used to kill innocent people and then to send himself to hell.
    Got any Adolph Hitler memorabilia? All those innocent people died. You could put a swastika around your neck to remind you of all the innocent people.

I find it a little creepy to have the instrument of Jesus' death as jewelry. Especially since it isn't Biblical.

http://www.albatrus.org/english/reli...n_of_cross.htm

The shape of the latter had its origin in ancient Chaldea (Babylon), and was used as the symbol of the god Tammuz (being in the shape of the mystic Tau, the initial of his name) ... By the middle of the 3rd century A.D. the churches had either departed from, or had travestied, certain doctrines of the Christian faith.

In order to increase the prestige of the apostate ecclesiastical system pagans were received into the churches apart from regeneration by faith, and were permitted largely to retain their pagan signs and symbols. Hence the Tau or T, in its most frequent form, with the cross piece lowered, was adopted .

Dr. Bullinger, in the Companion Bible, appx. 162, states, "crosses were used as symbols of the Babylonian Sun-god ... It should be stated that Constantine was a Sun-god worshipper ... The evidence is thus complete, that the Lord was put to death upon an upright stake, and not on two pieces of timber placed at any angle."

Rev. Alexander Hislop, The Two Babylons, pp. 197-205, frankly calls the cross "this Pagan symbol ... the Tau, the sign of the cross, the indisputable sign of Tammuz, the false Messiah ... the mystic Tau of the Cladeans (Babylonians) and Egyptians - the true original form of the letter T the initial of the name of Tammuz ... the Babylonian cross was the recognised emblem of Tammuz."

In the Encyclopaedia Britannica, 11th edition, vol. 14, p. 273, we read, "In the Egyption churches the cross was a pagan symbol of life borrowed by the Christians and interpreted in the pagan manner." Jacob Grimm, in his Deutsche Mythologie, says that the Teutonic (Germanic) tribes had their idol Thor, symbolised by a hammer, while the Roman Christians had their crux (cross). It was thus somewhat easier for the Teutons to accept the Roman Cross.

The crucifix serves to remind Christians of Christ's sacrifice and it's only considered "jewelry" to people who are too disillusioned to understand the man who died for their sins, the symbol and it's importance.
    If that type of symbolism is offensive to some, tuff.
    The "instrument" of his death were the men who crucified, mocked and killed him.

Jesus wasn't crucified. The Greek word is stauros.

Otherwise, I understand perfectly about Jesus. Enough to know not to promote the instrument of his execution.

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Not in all uses of the term. There are enough misconceptions without your injecting stupidity into the mix just to muddy things up even worse then they already are.
    thats what it meant when God sent angels to Soddom.

Jesus wasn't crucified. The Greek word is stauros.

Otherwise, I understand perfectly about Jesus. Enough to know not to promote the instrument of his execution.
    I don't speak Greek.
    Jesus most certainly was crucified, died, was buried, rose again and will come to judge the living and the dead.

You have serious chronological problems. When were those first 5 books written? When were the ten commandments given? Both were AFTER. What it amounts to "Fonzie" is that you are "wah, wah wrah wrong"... try that once.

These people just came out of Egypt. They knew that calf wasn't God himself. They used it as a physical representation. How did the image become a calf? They took what they knew with pagan religion and adopted that into their worship of Jehovah which was unacceptable. This is off the principles of their recent experiences.

After this situation Moses provided them with the ten commandments and they then swore to follow that.

What you want to do is seek some sort of justification for you pagan influences in your celebrations. You are starting on the wrong end. Surprising to me that you accept all these Catholic driven celebrations anyway. You really can cherry pick what pagan and Catholic things you like to use.
    Doesn't matter WHEN they were written. The events had already taken place. I don't need justification for truth. Truth stands alone. Truth is self-justifying.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    Hmmm. In a biblical sense "to know him' means to have sex with him.
    This could only come from that guy in Forney.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Page 54 of 61 FirstFirst ... 444474849505152535455565758596061 LastLast