View Poll Results: would you call him/her a Christian

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes: Christian

    34 72.34%
  • no: not a Christian

    13 27.66%
Page 51 of 61 FirstFirst ... 41444546474849505152535455565758 ... LastLast
Results 651 to 663 of 786
  1. #651
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,933
    Quote Originally Posted by scrogdog View Post
    By this, I guess you would tell your 5 year old all about sex, murder and rape exactly as you would tell things to an adult. The whole truth and nothing but the truth?

    If you don't, then you are a liar.
    Sorry to be so blunt, but this is just a stupid argument. Not telling children the brutal truth about everything is a lot different then deliberately lying to them.

    Do you tell children that murder and rape are ok? Aside from it being all right for mommy to be kissing Santa Claus, do you tell your children lies about sex?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cureÖ
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  2. #652
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,933
    Quote Originally Posted by bootlen View Post
    You never read fairy tales to your kids? That's all "Santa Claus" is...a fairy tale lived out for the very young. Younger kids love that stuff and, as long as it is not taken to an extreme, it's okay. JMNSHO.
    Santa Claus is NOT portrayed as a fairy tale. Santa is portrayed as a real person who watches your every move and brings you presents if you are good. That is not a fairy tale, that is a deceitful lie.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cureÖ
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  3. #653
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,933
    Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    its called the Feast of the Ephipany, when the 3 kings finally arrived bearing gifts.. this is learned in the first grade.
    Not in public schools.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cureÖ
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  4. #654
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,933
    Quote Originally Posted by scrogdog View Post
    Doesn't the story also say that the kings followed a bright star to find Jesus? Well, many folks put one at the top of thier tree. What's wrong with that?
    Ummm, the tree would be the problem. You can put a cherry on top of a pile of manure but that won't make it a chocolate sundae.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cureÖ
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  5. #655
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Woburn, MA
    Posts
    6,656
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Sorry to be so blunt, but this is just a stupid argument. Not telling children the brutal truth about everything is a lot different then deliberately lying to them.

    Do you tell children that murder and rape are ok? Aside from it being all right for mommy to be kissing Santa Claus, do you tell your children lies about sex?
    The point is that just because something may not be true doesn't mean that it has some sort of evil behind it. Sometimes we choose to not tell the truth to spare the feelings of others. That can also be a brutal truth.

    In the end, though, if we go down that path then we still have not told the truth.
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

  6. #656
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,933
    Quote Originally Posted by scrogdog View Post
    The point is that just because something may not be true doesn't mean that it has some sort of evil behind it. Sometimes we choose to not tell the truth to spare the feelings of others. That can also be a brutal truth.

    In the end, though, if we go down that path then we still have not told the truth.
    I'm gonna stick with dishonesty does come from the evil within us. We all have it and we all are dishonest at times, we cannot avoid that.

    What I am proposing is that we not make excuses for things we do that are dishonest by calling them "white lies" and "make believe". A lie is a lie is a lie....and all lies are wrong. If we can identify lies that don't need to be told, whould it not make for a better world if we eliminate as many lies as we can?

    Every time the truth is found out about a lie that has been told, someones feelings get hurt. In the case of Christmas and Easter, we have the power to avoid hurt feelings all together by never telling the lies.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cureÖ
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  7. #657
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Woburn, MA
    Posts
    6,656
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Ummm, the tree would be the problem. You can put a cherry on top of a pile of manure but that won't make it a chocolate sundae.
    Ok, why would the tree be a problem? Simply because it is paganistic? Because thoughts of Jesus do not remind you of trees? Nothing is stopping anyone from using all sorts of Christian symbols as decorations.

    Why does everyone have to be so conformist? Live and let live I say. It certainly does not bother me to see a nativity scene or any religous symbol, and why should it? Just because I may not believe doesn't mean that it bothers me that others do. Let's have all of the holidays and let's celebrate them as we see fit to do.

    Maybe Jesus speaks to some through thier trees. Hey... you don't know.
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

  8. #658
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,933
    Quote Originally Posted by scrogdog View Post
    Ok, why would the tree be a problem? Simply because it is paganistic? Because thoughts of Jesus do not remind you of trees? Nothing is stopping anyone from using all sorts of Christian symbols as decorations.

    Why does everyone have to be so conformist? Live and let live I say. It certainly does not bother me to see a nativity scene or any religous symbol, and why should it? Just because I may not believe doesn't mean that it bothers me that others do. Let's have all of the holidays and let's celebrate them as we see fit to do.

    Maybe Jesus speaks to some through thier trees. Hey... you don't know.
    There are several parables and other noations from the Bible books referring to the distractions of faith and how they differ for different people. The tree is a distraction. Some people may not allow the tree to distract, but then, why bother with it then?

    What ever distracts us from our relationship with God is a bad thing. For the one rich man in the Bible, his wealth was his distraction. Jesus told that particular man that he needed to give up his wealth in order to get to heaven. That was just that one mans distraction. There are many other wealthy men in the Bible who were not advised to give up their wealth because their wealth was not a distraction for them from God.

    Everything about the Christmas and Easter holidays is designed to be a distraction. That puts a lot of distraction between a lot of people and God. That is not a good thing.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cureÖ
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  9. #659
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Woburn, MA
    Posts
    6,656
    and all lies are wrong
    So, you are one of those guys who actually answers truthfully the wife's/GF's question; "do these jeans make me look fat?".

    You say, "no your fat arse makes you look fat"?

    What good does it do to offend?

    I consider sparing people's feelings to be "the high road". Sometimes you can't do it though, because sometimes being a real friend is telling that person a truth that no one else has the guts to say. But not always.
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

  10. #660
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Florida Panhandle
    Posts
    4,369
    Quote Originally Posted by icchvac View Post
    I went to an airshow and saw the blue angels fly when I was a kid
    I reccomend you keep your eyes open when looking in to the sky, you may find other things flying that dont belong to us..lol

    Roy
    "The perfect Totalitarian State is one where the political bosses, and their army of managers, control a population of slaves, who do not have to be coerced, because they love their servitude"

  11. #661
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Eastern PA
    Posts
    68,933
    Quote Originally Posted by scrogdog View Post
    So, you are one of those guys who actually answers truthfully the wife's/GF's question; "do these jeans make me look fat?".

    You say, "no your fat arse makes you look fat"?

    What good does it do to offend?

    I consider sparing people's feelings to be "the high road". Sometimes you can't do it though, because sometimes being a real friend is telling that person a truth that no one else has the guts to say. But not always.
    Nope! I lie just as well as anyone else. I just don't try to make excuses that my lies are ok to do. For we of faith, the physical world is ruled by Satan and inasmuch it is impossilbe to avoid all of the pitfalls of evil. Lying is an evil that we cannot figure out how to avoid at all times. It only compounds our lies when we don't admit that we are wrong for lying.

    I am no better then anyone else, I just admit I'm a liar and attempt to limit my lies as much as I feel I have control to do.

    In the example you have given I would reply more along the lines with; "Honey, you know you are a bit overweight and the jeans being tight do sort of draw attention to that. You look really good in those black pants you wore last week though. If you don't have to wear jeans, how about wearing the black pants?"
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cureÖ
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV


  12. #662
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    20,677
    Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Not in public schools.
    OR outside the Catholic Church, as I'm sure ac has discovered it ain't in Scripture.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

    For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

    http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

    Proud member of KA Club

  13. #663
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by scrogdog View Post
    By this, I guess you would tell your 5 year old all about sex, murder and rape exactly as you would tell things to an adult. The whole truth and nothing but the truth?

    If you don't, then you are a liar.
    yes i would tell the child about sex, murder and rape but in a way that a 5 year old could understand it because he\she is a child and not and adult

    Question: When your child was a new born did u feed the child adult food or baby food if your answer is baby food than why would i talk to my child as and adult when he is a child
    ďThey must find it difficultÖ
    Those who have authority as the truth,
    rather than truth as the authority.Ē

Page 51 of 61 FirstFirst ... 41444546474849505152535455565758 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event