View Poll Results: would you call him/her a Christian

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes: Christian

34 72.34%
  • no: not a Christian

13 27.66%
Page 49 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3942434445464748495051525354555659 ... LastLast
    I would like to get back to why we Christians who deny Pagan iconry in leiu of sticking to the teachings of Jesus Christ are not Christians.
    Well I voted that you are.

However, aside from being offended at someone who may have voted that you are not, I'm trying to figure out why this matters. As long as you celebrate Jesus how you see fit, what does it matter what others do?

I admit that I am fully taken in by the paganism. It's fun. I like the Christmas parade on Christmas Eve (in Lynn, MA) because it makes kids smile. Same for gifts... it makes people smile. And I don't give the slightest thought to Jesus the entire time.

To me, life is too short to get one's underwear in a wad over meaningless things. Let people have thier fun. So what?
    "Social networking" is an oxymoron.

Quote Originally Posted by scrogdog View Post
    Well I voted that you are.

However, aside from being offended at someone who may have voted that you are not, I'm trying to figure out why this matters. As long as you celebrate Jesus how you see fit, what does it matter what others do?
    Exactly.

The thing is, (Robo), that while the inaccurate celebration of Jesus' birth on Dec. 25 is based on pagan ritual, eating is also a pagan event. You quit eating, have you? Pics indicate you may have actually perfected the art.

The point is this. As long as what we do does not interfere with our focus on the greatest gift God ever gave anyone, and as long as none of it is an offense to God or Scripture, it really does not matter.

If you choose to not celebrate the birth of Christ on Dec. 25, that's cool. Matter of fact, many countries do so on different dates. Ukraine, for instance, does so in January. Why? I haven't a clue.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Quote Originally Posted by bootlen View Post

The point is this. As long as what we do does not interfere with our focus on the greatest gift God ever gave anyone, and as long as none of it is an offense to God or Scripture, it really does not matter.
    so lying and deceiving our children is Not (an offense to God or Scripture)
    ďThey must find it difficultÖ
    Those who have authority as the truth,
    rather than truth as the authority.Ē

Quote Originally Posted by Its 2 Hot View Post
    By this, I guess you would tell your 5 year old all about sex, murder and rape exactly as you would tell things to an adult. The whole truth and nothing but the truth?

If you don't, then you are a liar.

Quote Originally Posted by Its 2 Hot View Post
    You never read fairy tales to your kids? That's all "Santa Claus" is...a fairy tale lived out for the very young. Younger kids love that stuff and, as long as it is not taken to an extreme, it's okay. JMNSHO.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

Proud member of KA Club

Quote Originally Posted by scrogdog View Post
    ....However, aside from being offended at someone who may have voted that you are not, I'm trying to figure out why this matters. As long as you celebrate Jesus how you see fit, what does it matter what others do?....
    What is the determining factor for this? Throwing babies in the fire was pagan practice and nobody is adopting that anymore (I think).

I look at it this way: It's not how YOU see fit that really counts.

Exactly.

The thing is, (Robo), that while the inaccurate celebration of Jesus' birth on Dec. 25 is based on pagan ritual, eating is also a pagan event. You quit eating, have you? Pics indicate you may have actually perfected the art.

If you choose to not celebrate the birth of Christ on Dec. 25, that's cool. Matter of fact, many countries do so on different dates. Ukraine, for instance, does so in January. Why? I haven't a clue.
    its called the Feast of the Ephipany, when the 3 kings finally arrived bearing gifts.. this is learned in the first grade.

Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    its called the Feast of the Ephipany, when the 3 kings finally arrived bearing gifts.. this is learned in the first grade.
    Can't argue that. I don't know. Sounds like a Catholic Church thing to me. And it does kinda make sense, what with the gifts thing and all. So maybe Christmas is tied to the discovery of Jesus by the "wise men" and presentation of gifts rather than His actual birthdate. I think Jesus was something like 6 or 8 when they found Him, though. Which gives the shepherds alone the scoop. Interesting.

You have any info on January or any other date, ac?

Proud member of KA Club

Can't argue that. I don't know. Sounds like a Catholic Church thing to me. And it does kinda make sense, what with the gifts thing and all. So maybe Christmas is tied to the discovery of Jesus by the "wise men" and presentation of gifts rather than His actual birthdate. I think Jesus was something like 6 or 8 when they found Him, though. Which gives the shepherds alone the scoop. Interesting.

You have any info on January or any other date, ac?
    well, I don't see it as strictly a Catholic Church kid of thing, it is in the Bible, but those who spend to much time on christians view of Jewish History are lost when it comes to the new covenat. Other than the 6th of January , which by the way is named after the greek god Janus, who had eyes in the back of his head, so he could see the future along with the past I see nothing else relevant about January. However, symbolic as it ma be, Jesus birth and the giving of gifts represent the future as in the new testament and guides us to remember the past as in the old testament, but only in the future are we saved.

Quote Originally Posted by sysint View Post
    What is the determining factor for this? Throwing babies in the fire was pagan practice and nobody is adopting that anymore (I think).

I look at it this way: It's not how YOU see fit that really counts.
    Well, I am sure there are many pagan practices that are not fun. So we threw them away and kept what we liked.

Well, it may not be all about what I see fit to do, but even if I were a believer I'm not sure if I remember any guidance in the bible with regards to how to celebrate the birth of Jesus. Am I wrong on that?

Quote Originally Posted by acmanko View Post
    well, I don't see it as strictly a Catholic Church kid of thing, it is in the Bible, but those who spend to much time on christians view of Jewish History are lost when it comes to the new covenat.
    The Feast of Epiphany as celebrated at the time of the "wise men" is in the Bible? Where?

Proud member of KA Club

Interesting read.

Though it does seem to show that the story of the three kings relies heavily on tradition and even mythology to some extent.

Yet, I fail to see how this history lesson shows how God or Jesus would dislike a lot of what we do at Christmas. Yes, they would likely be upset with me for not observing the birth of Jesus as they would like, but the kings gave gifts - we give gifts.

Doesn't the story also say that the kings followed a bright star to find Jesus? Well, many folks put one at the top of thier tree. What's wrong with that?

Page 49 of 61 FirstFirst ... 3942434445464748495051525354555659 ... LastLast