Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes: Christian

34 72.34%
  • no: not a Christian

13 27.66%
Page 4 of 61 FirstFirst 12345678910111454 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by scrogdog View Post

Do I always have to rush to the defense of Christians?
    Well, it helps to have someone who does not appear to be biased towards Christianity. YOU certainly fit the bill.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

I didn't vote in the poll because I've seen people say they were Christian but didn't think that Jesus was the Saviour. How they are Christian without Jesus being the Saviour I haven't figured out yet. The Christmas and Easter thing is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by forged alloy View Post
    Must there always be a dark underside to things? I've got enough things on my plate to worry about right now without adding christmas and easter to the mix.
    No dark underside. The lies that go along with Christmas and Easter are very much right up front and blatantly accepted. If you believe that lying and deceiving are appropriate, then continue participating in the Paganistic inspired holidays so everyone can feel "normal". If however you feel that lying and deceiving are not very good things to do, simply stop lying and deceiving and tell the truth during the holidays.

Oh! I guess being truthful isn't as fun, eh?
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cureÖ
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by scrogdog View Post
    But Christians were not on the attack (strategically speaking) during the Crusades. The Crusades, from a Christian standpoint, were a rush to the defense of *already Christian lands* that had been invaded by Muslims.

That's not to say that everything that was done was "nice". But it is a common misconception that the Crusades were some sort of "wars of conversion", from a Christian standpoint anyway.

Do I always have to rush to the defense of Christians?
    Justification does not make wrong doing right. The Crusades were just out and out wrong from every standpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by icchvac View Post
    I didn't vote in the poll because I've seen people say they were Christian but didn't think that Jesus was the Saviour. How they are Christian without Jesus being the Saviour I haven't figured out yet. The Christmas and Easter thing is optional.
    Those who do not accept Christ as their Saviour cannot be considered Christian. Easter and Christmas are not options, they simply have nothing to do with Jesus Christ other then having Jesus's name tagged onto Pagan holidays chock full of Pagan rituals.

The three who voted that a person who does not participate in Christmas or Easter cannot be a Christian simply do not have a true understanding of the teachings of Jesus Christ or the writings of the New Testament along with no knowledge of Pagan holidays and rituals.

So halloween candy is out of the question...

...and I don't mean just from the "commercial" point of view, since halloween is a heathen/pagan celtic ritual.

Lord. Save your ancestors. You'll never see them again since they're burning in the hell-fire of damnation.

Some say you can not be a Christian without believing Christ to be the Saviour... You can certainly be a follower of Christ's teachings though. A true to form Christian also understands that Christ is the Son of God, not just the Saviour.

Besides... With my family spreading out across the globe, Christmas, Easter and Thanksgiving are good enough excuses for me to get them all together again. Isn't that what really counts? I'll keep these celebrations close by.
    Last edited by gruntly; 10-30-2007 at 09:46 AM.
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2Ę.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    Justification does not make wrong doing right. The Crusades were just out and out wrong from every standpoint.

Robo, good buddy, the crusaders were fighting the advance of Islam. Nothing wrong with that other than the fact they they weren't successful. Also when to you celebrate the Birth of Jesus or the Resurrection? Never I presume. Since no one can be sure what the exact date is who cares as long as it is celebrated.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by gruntly View Post
    Some say you can not be a Christian without believing Christ to be the Saviour...
    Actually, God Himself said it first. I try to not argue with God. And I recommend the same for you.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Quote Originally Posted by gruntly View Post
    So halloween candy is out of the question...

...and I don't mean just from the "commercial" point of view, since halloween is a heathen/pagan celtic ritual.

Lord. Save your ancestors. You'll never see them again since they're burning in the hell-fire of damnation.

Some say you can not be a Christian without believing Christ to be the Saviour... You can certainly be a follower of Christ's teachings though. A true to form Christian also understands that Christ is the Son of God, not just the Saviour.

Besides... With my family spreading out across the globe, Christmas, Easter and Thanksgiving are good enough excuses for me to get them all together again. Isn't that what really counts? I'll keep these celebrations close by.
    I have nothing against Halloween other then it seems to be a bit odd to teach your children to beg for candy, but hey, to each their own. It does not matter to me that Halloween has Pagan roots because I have nothing against Pagan rituals being used as entertainment. No one has injected Jesus Christ into Halloween, so there is no issue.

A Christian accepts Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour. A person who follows Jesus's teachings and tries to adhere to them but does not accept Jesus as God incarnate is a student of Jesus and not a Christian. Faith makes the Christian.

I'm happy for all of the people who like the holidays because they bring the family together, but no, that is not what really counts. Keep the holidays and keep having family get togethers over the holidays, just stop lying about Jesus and all of the Pagan icons during the holidays. Is there some special ingredient in deceit and lies that brings families together? If you prefer to not be a deceiver and a liar, just stop deceiving and lying. The holidays are a great time to stop being liars.

Quote Originally Posted by glennac8 View Post
    Robo, good buddy, the crusaders were fighting the advance of Islam. Nothing wrong with that other than the fact they they weren't successful. Also when to you celebrate the Birth of Jesus or the Resurrection? Never I presume. Since no one can be sure what the exact date is who cares as long as it is celebrated.
    Sorry Glenn, but you are stuck in a web of lies. The Crusades were about mortal power. Once the European Crusaders got to the Middle East and saw that the Christians there that they went to free from Muslim oppression looked more like the Muslims then they did European Christians, the Crusaders executed the Middle Eastern Christians right along with the Muslims. It was all about European expansion, not Christianity.

I celebrate the birth of Jesus of Nazareth daily. If the mortal Jesus's birthday were important, the books of the New Testament would have instructed us to do so. The fact is that birthdays are a relatively new celebratory event. Tell me where Jesus is ever mentioned celebrating a day of birth. I believe that my Christian faith needs to dwell on what Jesus taught, not what is popular among the masses at the moment.

Passover is the day that should be celebrated by Christians because that is the day that Jesus celebrated. With Jesus, eternal death will "Pass over" the believer just as mortal death passed over the Jews in Eqypt.

Quote Originally Posted by chaard View Post
    .....I think Christians should actually celebrate Passover, for the mere fact Jesus was the sacrificial Lamb. Otherwise celebrate resurrection Sunday...
    Passover is the only commanded celebration to Christians by Christ himself.

Luke 22:19 And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me." NIV
    The same point is made in 1 Corinthians.

You can't prove what day Jesus was born, but you can absolutely figure out what day passover is every year. Actually, Jesus changed what passover was and made a new covenant with people as the old ways were ended. So it's not even passover, but commemorating Jesus sacrifice.

Jesus subsequent resurrection is a given so there wouldn't be a need to celebrate that. Afterwards, Jesus didn't say "celebrate my resurrection" as that was merely the promised result of his death.

Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    You can thank God for the greatest gift of all during your prayers [I do] , Jesus Christ. God gave us the worldly Jesus, and Jesus us His worldly self. Which is pretty much the christian attachment to those holidays. Holidays come once a year, prayers may be weekly or several times in a day even. I voted yes.

Of course, I hope you are not being a total grinch about it either. If you have kids of nephews or nieces you can still buy a few presents from santa[wal-mart]clause and paint a few bunny-eggs. I know you gotta have relatives who would like you to come visit.
    yes I have a 3 three year old son and a about 20 nephews and nieces. I will not teach my son about Xmas or Easters. when he is old enough 2 ask about them ill tell him why i donít.

Quote Originally Posted by Its 2 Hot View Post
    yes I have a 3 three year old son and a about 20 nephews and nieces. I will not teach my son about Xmas or Easters. when he is old enough 2 ask about them ill tell him why i donít.
    TWENTY NEPHEWS AND NIECES! HOLY COW, MAN!

You CANNOT celibrate Christmas, you would be bankrupt!!!!
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

"Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

"I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

Page 4 of 61 FirstFirst 12345678910111454 ... LastLast