Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes: Christian

34 72.34%
  • no: not a Christian

13 27.66%
Page 5 of 61 FirstFirst 1234567891011121555 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Its 2 Hot View Post
    If someone told you I am a Christian but I donít celebrate Christmas or Easter! what would you say to that person ?
    "That's his choice."
    TB
    Everyone knows something I don't.

2 Chronicles 7:14
    14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

As for the poll Q. It depends on the reason Christmas and Easter are not celebrated. First off, I gotta throw in with the others that said define "Celebrate". I can think of a lot of reasons why a christian would not celebrate in the traditional manner.

Didn't Paul say, 1 Corinthians 10:25
    25 Eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of conscience,

He said this about meat sacraficed to idols, and said it to Christians. If there is nothing wrong with eating meat that was sacraficed to an idol, then what's wrong with celebrating Jesus on a day that was once sacraficed to idols as well?

Here lies the problem. Is Jesus celebrated / worshipped in spirit and truth? (Jn. 4), or in rites and rituals?

Colossians 2:16
    16 Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.

A new moon celebration was a rite of witchcraft, and occult practices--still is, or can be--but in Christ, we have freedom to celebrate any day we choose--or not. The focus of the Christian should be on Jesus, not the day or origin of it, but the purpose of a celebration.
    TB

14 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Quote Originally Posted by TB View Post
    As for the poll Q. It depends on the reason Christmas and Easter are not celebrated. First off, I gotta throw in with the others that said define "Celebrate". I can think of a lot of reasons why a christian would not celebrate in the traditional manner.

Didn't Paul say, 1 Corinthians 10:25
    25 Eat anything sold in the meat market without raising questions of conscience,

He said this about meat sacraficed to idols, and said it to Christians. If there is nothing wrong with eating meat that was sacraficed to an idol, then what's wrong with celebrating Jesus on a day that was once sacraficed to idols as well?

Here lies the problem. Is Jesus celebrated / worshipped in spirit and truth? (Jn. 4), or in rites and rituals?

16 Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.

A new moon celebration was a rite of witchcraft, and occult practices--still is, or can be--but in Christ, we have freedom to celebrate any day we choose--or not. The focus of the Christian should be on Jesus, not the day or origin of it, but the purpose of a celebration.
    Another pivotal text in matters of Christian liberty is I Corinthians 8. This then moves into another chapter (9 of course), which goes further in laying out our goal in all of this--to preach the gospel of Christ without (our conduct) making the preaching void.

So I celebrate these days with family, not for the sake of the cultural aspect , but rather to remember that Christ has made us free.

Our family already thinks we're weird, because they're always asking us if we know how come we keep getting pregnant. I think those holidays would bankrupt us if we spent money at the retail rate.

But we take the opportunity to remember that it's all about the Way, the Truth, and the Life
    our Lord Jesus Christ. The rest is just details...
    It's great to be alive and pumping oxygen!

"Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God." óJohn 1:12 (NIV)

Christmas and Easter are there to entertain the flesh.......
    I believe in the dignity of labor, whether with head or hand; that the world owes no man a living but that it owes every man an opportunity to make a living.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined,
    but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a
    status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them,
    which would include their own government.
    --George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by chas View Post
    "Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God." —John 1:12 (NIV)

Christmas and Easter are there to entertain the flesh.......

Maybe those holidays entertain YOUR flesh, but Christmas reminds me that the God of Creation humbled Himself to become a man, was born in a stall for farm animals, lay in a feed trough, but was in fact, the Promise...the Messiah. And "Easter, reminds me that the aforementioned God of Creation was despised and rejected, hailed one Friday and nailed the next Friday, was beaten beyond human recognition, hung on a shameful cross, died on that cross after 6 hours of excrutiating pain, was buried in a tomb loaned to Him, BUT WAS RESURRECTED ON THE THIRD DAY ACCORDING TO THE SCRIPTURES. And my friend, those little tidbits bring immeasurable joy to me to think He did all that out of love for this horrible wretch. And I will celebrate those 2 incredible events each year in His memory and in thankfulness.

BTW, Robo. I am reminded of His resurrection each and every Sunday by our gathering together to worship Him...Jesus Christ. And my Bible study each morning reminds me daily of His ressurection. (Just thought you'd like to know I agree with you on that point.)
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

Quote Originally Posted by TB View Post

I think the reference here is to the existing Jewish festivals if you read vs 17 too, especially since vs 16 is only part of the complete sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by bootlen View Post
    Maybe those holidays entertain YOUR flesh, but Christmas reminds me that the God of Creation humbled Himself to become a man, was born in a stall for farm animals, lay in a feed trough, but was in fact, the Promise...the Messiah. And "Easter, reminds me that the aforementioned God of Creation was despised and rejected, hailed one Friday and nailed the next Friday, was beaten beyond human recognition, hung on a shameful cross, died on that cross after 6 hours of excrutiating pain, was buried in a tomb loaned to Him, BUT WAS RESURRECTED ON THE THIRD DAY ACCORDING TO THE SCRIPTURES. And my friend, those little tidbits bring immeasurable joy to me to think He did all that out of love for this horrible wretch. And I will celebrate those 2 incredible events each year in His memory and in thankfulness....
    Who resurrected Jesus?

Quote Originally Posted by sysint View Post
    Who resurrected Jesus?
    Jesus did. Proof that He is God...in the Person of the Son.
    No reserve. No retreat. No regrets.

For those who have fought for it, freedom has a sweetness the protected will never know.

http://www.airwarvietnam.com/16thSOSGunners2.jpg

Proud member of KA Club

LOST SHEEP ...........

Keep herding them BOOT,Lord Knows they need a Shepard
    I believe in the dignity of labor, whether with head or hand; that the world owes no man a living but that it owes every man an opportunity to make a living.
    A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined,
    but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a
    status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them,
    which would include their own government.
    --George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post

Our family already thinks we're weird, because they're always asking us if we know how come we keep getting pregnant.
    me too, friends kept asking if we know why that happens... till I started answering with Ps. 127
    TB

Quote Originally Posted by chas View Post
    LOST SHEEP ...........

Keep herding them BOOT,Lord Knows they need a Shepard
    I think booty would be the first to state that he is not the shepard. I guees those of us who evangelize could be thought of as sheepdogs though. Unfortunately there are some wolves in sheepskins in the herds.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cureÖ
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Quote Originally Posted by RoBoTeq View Post
    I think booty would be the first to state that he is not the shepard. I guees those of us who evangelize could be thought of as sheepdogs though. Unfortunately there are some wolves in sheepskins in the herds.
    (sorry man, but I cant help myself...)

sheep flock, if you're in a herd you're in the wrong group
    TB

Quote Originally Posted by bootlen View Post
    Jesus did. Proof that He is God...in the Person of the Son.
    If you say that Jesus resurrected himself, then he didn't really die at all. That would mean there was no sacrifice.

Page 5 of 61 FirstFirst 1234567891011121555 ... LastLast