New Lineset?

Thread: New Lineset?

New Lineset?

Thanks pros for all the great things I have learned reading others' posts. I think I know the answer but I need to ask my question. I am replacing an 18 year old home system and all the R22 based system's dealers recommend that I should reuse my lineset. The current leading "finalist" would be installing an American Standard Allegiance 15 4Ton condenser with new coil and furnace. It uses R22 and the current lineset is 22' long and is a 7/8" 3/8". I mentioned to him that a 1 1/8" 3/8" set is recommended by the mfg. He said that because the line is so short, it will not make a noticeable difference. He said there would only be a 408 BTU loss and it would not be worth the replacement cost (which I won't post but it sure seemed high). I'm not sure about his calculation or how much importance I should give it. The lineset travels through an easily accessed basement.

Is his argument reasonable, or should I follow my instincts and replace the line? Thanks.

Your dealer would be correct in his info, it should only have approximately 505 btu's of loss and would be negligable.

you shouldn't need 1 1/8 on a short line set ( manufactures installation guides will tell you ) but I would insist on having them changed on a new install even if the correct size of copper is there. We never install a unit without changing the linesets, unless there is no possible way to do it.

It is definitely worth the cost to replace the lineset w/ a new system. Over time oil and other contaminates will etch into the copper and may not get cleaned out therefore contaminating the new system. Why take the chance?
    Scott

I have to agree with the above .. With a new install always replace the lineset. Without knowing what killed the last system .. There could have been acid problems. Why risk that in your new system. A 22' lineset in a basement .. easy enough. Hope this helps in your decision

The last system is still working and there is no apparent contamination. A new lineset seemed natural to me, until they added a cost that approaches 4 digits, or more than 3 times the online price I can find the lineset for. That extra $$ for less than 30 minutes extra labor seems high to me. That makes me think the dealer really doesn't want to add a new lineset, or he is now shying away from the job and using a high lineset price to keep me away. But all the dealers said they would reuse the lineset so I'm not sure how to evaluate them.

Thanks for your advice!

Just FYI, the linesets you see on line are generally not up to the same quality standards. Some are M copper, some are L copper, some are evacuated and nitrogen charged to ensure clean and dry pipe, some just have silly little caps on the ends, some are ovaled, some only have 1/4 or 3/8 insulation on them, others have 1/2 inch. What you see online is DIY stuff.

30 minutes for a lineset replacement is probably rushing it.

that size seems fine for 4 ton. But if the specs call for bigger it might be a good idea to change it. i always change lineset when going from r22 to 410 because of different oils.cahnging copper is no cheap task with the price of copper so high!

I appreciate all the advice from the pros. Thanks!