Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Denali Park, Alaska, McMurdo Station, Antarctica
    Cascader, ever have the headmaster squall? I have one that is set at 4C, and it seems to be squalling while the condenser fan is cycled off. Looks like I'll have to crack the book.

Quote Originally Posted by vancouvertech View Post
    Anyone here work on these units? Just wondering similarities/differences with stationary refrigeration units?( I got up close with a intermodal unit today and it looked fairly interesting to work on?). Do you like working on these units? Weirdest thing you've ever found in a reefer trailer?. thanks.

I absolutly love working on and around Transport Temperature control equipment.

It has been my passion for 15 years. if you want to know anything about this equipment, ask away, you can go to www.reefertek.com as well to get the answers your looking for as well. Our TRU community is taedily growing.

Geesh I am a horrible speller

Good thing I chose TRU profession over writing books!!!!! HA hA HA

Regards Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by Reeferman View Post
    Well when you consider that in most cases a transport unit will haul loads from -20 degrees F to plus 80 degrees F in ambients from -30 or colder to 100 plus within days while bouncing down a highway at 70mph and keep the temperature of the freight within 1 degree of setpoint there are interesting to work on.
    It definetly takes some extreme engineering, for these units to work in all climates and ambients.

Anyone using Digital gauges here HMMMMM I wonder

Quote Originally Posted by sumdumguy View Post
    yanetrivr, do u have pdf files on the carrier tansicolds. i work for carrier kinda and thought of how these could be for the techs and if they are taken care of.
    I have pdfs of TK and CTC marine container units,, What models are you looking for?

What is it like working on these units??? Are they alot different to work on then a condensing unit for say a walk-in cooler?. I assume the basics are all the same, but what are the major differences? typical voltages? is it AC or DC like vehicles? How many tons of cooling do these units usually offer? Is most of the work done in the shop, or do these units get serviced on the side of the road? Is the control for these units like a solid state computer board? thanx.... I'm just curious....they look like they would be fun to work on. probably nice working in a shop too. not in the pissing rain on a rooftop.
    Is it fixed yet?

What is it like working on these units??? Are they alot different to work on then a condensing unit for say a walk-in cooler? I assume the basics are all the same, but what are the major differences? typical voltages? is it AC or DC like vehicles? How many tons of cooling do these units usually offer? Is most of the work done in the shop, or do these units get serviced on the side of the road? Is the control for these units like a solid state computer board? thanx.... I'm just curious....they look like they would be fun to work on. probably nice working in a shop too. not in the pissing rain on a rooftop.
    I have never really serviced any other HVAC system aside from transport. It would be difficult for me to make that comparison. I can tell you that it is dirty at times due to some of the mechanics in the system and you may smell like diesel at the end after servicing the unit. The basic refrigeration flow is the same, along with hot gas heat. There are added components for unit versatility and improved capacity, Example of some of the major compoent differnces in a TK or CTC trailer nosemount unit will be. Diesel engine direct drive coupled to the compressor crankshaft, fans are belt driven from engine pulleys, the control sytem works off of 12 volt automotive battery and alternator charging system, some units may have an electric standby operation which will require 3phase 230 vac, this would be good for units to be plugged in when not in transport, Unit cooling capacity is based on unit model, current trailer nosemount units will have a BTU cooling range of 40,000 to 65,000 btus, you dont need alot of BTUs for transport considering each trailer will hold a maximum product weight of 40,000lbs. Service work on these units may be done in a well ventilated shop due to diesel exhaust emmisions. But most units are serviced in the field, in rain, snow, sleet, nice sunny days, at all hours of morning day and night. Control sytems have evolved from solid state controllers to Microprocessor controllers.

Shipyard marine container style equipment like tk CFII,or magnum, ctc elite,
    units like that will be high voltage electric operation with 12 and or 24 ac/dc control sytem. Fans, Compressor, Heater strips are all high voltage most common 3 phase 460 vac, these units require a generator to be clipped on for transport.

I hope this was of help

Thanks for the Info!!. I was interested in why servicing these units is considered a different trade here in Canada and I think you answered most of my questions...I've been thinking about trying to get a job servicing these types of units. I have my commercial drivers license and have driven the big trucks before and I have been working in HVAC/Refrigeration for a while but working on the big trucks and these types of units seems like it would be interesting stuff and appeal to me. Thanks again.
    Is it fixed yet?

I forgot to ask...What are some common problems with these units? is it alot like refrigeration where leaks and fan motors are the major problems. I imagine that a truck rumbling down the road at 70mph would be cause for a possible leak somewhere....Also, what are the polygraph looking things on the container units? is that a data logger of some sort?

thanks
    Is it fixed yet?

you will find many differnt problems but most problems that are found are based on region. You can expect to see compressor shaft seal leaks are common due to open drive design, ORS fittings, throttle valve leaks vibrasorbers, cold joints, mechanical fan belts, fuel related problems due to new Ultra low sulfur diesel, sensor problems, controller instruction software problems, fanshafts and bearings. battery, starter, alternator, It is very rare that you will see a major component failure such as condensor or evaporator heat exchanger, txv, threeway valves, they dont fail often but sometimes due. If you stay in the business long enough you will have repalced every component in a TRU multiple times.

I like it or i wouldnt do it, I would eventually like to venture in learning commercial HVAC specifically low pressure systems. In due time i guess, i am sure i will get the opportunity.

vancouvertech,

You can visit my forum sight at www.reefertek.com/tektalk/index.php

I statred the forum a few weeks ago. it is starting to become loaded with information specific to the transport refrigeration. There is several embeded private forum topics that are not viewable or accessible to guests. I make it private due to the nature of information. If you register to be a member you may get screened if i dont recognize the user. Oh the membership is free. much like H-Talks.

Members post common issues or for technical service advise. You may actually learn alot more there on the transport side of the things. I try to get over here frequently to post and answer questions, but I do spend more of my time over on mine.

Anyway come on over and check it out.

Take care Regards Shawn

Thanks, I will sign-up.
    Is it fixed yet?

Thanks for the Info!!. I was interested in why servicing these units is considered a different trade here in Canada and I think you answered most of my questions...I've been thinking about trying to get a job servicing these types of units. I have my commercial drivers license and have driven the big trucks before and I have been working in HVAC/Refrigeration for a while but working on the big trucks and these types of units seems like it would be interesting stuff and appeal to me. Thanks again.
    Having worked on transport refrigeration in my early days in the trade, I would say this. If you do not like getting dirty, this is not a good trade to swap to. Think like this, they have oil, diesel, and freon leaks. The trucks drive on roads, picking up all the road grim and dust, this = dirty units. There are for and against, but I choose to not do this trade due to the road grim side of the job. I'm not scared to get my hands dirty, but it gets inbeded into your hands over time, and every thing you touch, gets a dark film on it.
    This is my experience, but it do not mean you would not enjoy it.
    You want me to do what, with that thing!!!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast