Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Furnace exhaust

Furnace exhaust

A quick question for all the pros - I am buiding a new house and am tring to figure out where I would like to vent my furnace exhaust. I am thinking hidden under my deck - but I understand you run the risk of an iced over deck. Are there any ways of venting under a deck and not having the freezing issue?

Vent it out the roof.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

Furnace exhaust contains carbon monoxide. Why would you want to vent that anywhere other than the roof?

I think under the deck would be a bad idea due to possible lack of airflow. Also it might violate the distance from windows and doors in the intall instructions. I would just run it out the side wall.

Mine comes out the front of the house about ankle level under a bay window type thing where the area pushes out farther then the house. House is 5 years old. It was the first time I had ever seen that type of setup. There must be a blower to push it out just like on my water heater. First time I had ever seen one like that too.

new house i would go out the roof.

It's pretty common and quite acceptable to vent the exhaust from 90+ gas furnaces ( the modern efficient ones that vent through PVC pipe) out the side wall rather than the roof. This works out fine in practice, though there are some requirements about how close it can be to a window, door, snow line, etc. These rules are spelled out clearly in the install manual for the furnace.

Quote Originally Posted by HVAC Student View Post
    Furnace exhaust contains carbon monoxide. Why would you want to vent that anywhere other than the roof?
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mikethemech View Post
    This works out fine in practice, though there are some requirements about how close it can be to a window, door, snow line, etc.
    I don't have the manual but I am glad you said that. We just moved here and they say there isn't a lot of snow, but if it ever does I will have to make sure it doesn't get covered. It is in a pretty protected place but you never know!

well currently the exhaust is planed for above the basement door, but I really don't want it there I would like to hide it. I don't think the roof is an option as its a 2 story house, my builder tells me I can do it under the deck but it will have to go to the end of the deck or it will freeze the deck. any ideas on keeping it from freezing the desk.. as i really want it hidden.

I don't know about other places but its against code here to vent under a deck. Also some furnace manufactures will not allow it. You would have to run it insulated under the deck and out the end.

Why would you want to hide somthing so nice to look at anyways? LOL
    Its a good Life!

2 story should not matter, most furnaces can run 40 feet or more of pvc vent pipe.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

it should be able to be vented out the roof like has already been mentioned, as it will be a 2 or 3" pvc pipe (should be 2 pipes dont let them install only 1 if you can help it)
    as far as above the basement door goes, well i would not put it there if there was any other option what so ever (assuming you mean right above it and not off to the side)
    now under the deck, how high is the deck off the ground? how far below the deck will the vent be?
    if your deck is 10' off the ground and you are venting out a foot below it it more then likely wont be an issue but if you are 2 or 3 feet off the ground your looking for trouble

i think this is a case of "the devil is in the details" so be more specific if you can and see what we can narrow down

Here is a link to the house plans
    http://www.theplancollection.com/hou...home-plan-2437

the furnace is in the basment under the stairwell (basically in the center of the house)

The furnace installer drilled the holes where he wanted to run the intake and exhaust and its about 1' above the walk out doors - so if you walk in the doors you would see these to pipes sticking out and it would look like crap.

The deck is set to be about 20' long and on the end I would like the exhaust to exit it will be about 3-4' off the ground - with the retaining wall about 1-4' (depending on where he exits the house)

The furnace is a 5 ton unit - Reehm

I know nothing about HVAC but I would like all of this out of sight and was thinking of a couple of options
    1)exit the exhaust under the deck - if freezing the deck floor is an issues either 45 or 90 the pipe toward the ground or put a sheild above it so it can't reach the deck floor
    2)exit the exhaust under the deck and 45/90 it to above the retaining wall

The installer says he NEEDs to run the exhaust out the end of the deck so again I would have 2 pipes right in eyes view

I really like the idea of out the roof I will ask about that but for some reason they all think it needs to be out the basment - he keeps mentioning length of the run and bends

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast