Newbie here about to replace my original 27 year old furnace and AC. Due to various rebates I am going Hi Efficiency and have interviewed about 7 companies so far.
My house in Toronto is a 2 storey 2200 s.f., not including a recently finished basement with 2 bedrooms down there. The existing furnace is 78000 btu and AC is 2.5 tons. Most of the reps say I need a similar size for both. None are willing to do a complete load calc.
Only one rep made the case for a 58000 btu, because my old furnace did a fine job of heating even at <55%, compared to the new 95%. That seems to be more in line with what I have read here. Should the size of the blower be a concern as well? Heating wasn't a problem too much, but the AC never cooled well upstairs.
I've also been advised by a couple reps that a 2 ton AC would make more sense since it would run longer and allow the humidity to drop.
In terms of brand, I've been pretty much sold on going with the American Standard Freedom 95 for the furnace. However, the reps pushing the KeepRite -- besides a lower price -- argue that the stainless steel heat exchanger is superior to the aluminum.
For the AC, I'm between the AS Allegiance 14 and the KeepRite C4A4 SX2400.Again, the AS costs more and the KeepRite has a 2-speed fan.
In any case, I am absolutely going for a 10 year P&L, no matter what.
I am trying to get them to supply a Honeywell IAQ tStat as has been strongly suggested here. Most of them are pushing for the Visionpro 5000 or 8000 instead, which they will include at almost no cost. I have a feeling that pushing for the IAQ will cost me dearly.
FInally, because of some dust allergies in our house, I am going to get a mechanical media air purifier. This will either be AS or Honeywell. Does the brand matter here?
To summarize my questions:
1. Should I go out and pay for an independent load calc to determine if I should go 60k or 80k btu, and 2 or 2.5 ton? Or should I just err on the side of ....?
1A. Will there be a bigger blower in the 80K?
2. Is the Freedom 95 a good choice and worth 20% more than the Keeprite?
3. Is there an advantage to going with the Keeprite AC due to the 2 speed fan or is it better to stick with an AS to keep the equipment consistent outside and in?
4. Should I shell out for the IAQ tStat?
5. Are all mechanical air handlers around the same?
Any advice from you experienced pros would be most welcome. Thanks in advance.