Piping! A lot of piping...

Every bit of piping seen in this picture was done solely by your truly. Kinda proud of that, actually - which is why I'm sharing. Took me a long time to do - around my other duties at this facility.

The second picture is of just one set of many air handlers w/duct work that this piping was connected to. Uh... I had help with the duct work.

Wow, that's impressive! There's a lot of stuff going on there. What's it all for and how long did it take you?

It took me 6 months to complete the entire project working almost entirely on my own as I was only allowed help when I absolutely had to have it. There is a whole other bank of units not seen here. Hard to explain in detail the exact scope - but to put it most simply - this was the installation of a 30 ton psychometric test chamber and all that that entails: heating and cooling equip, air flow chamber, low temp refrigeration unit, variac, water source piping to all the existing chambers, etc. I was not involved or responsible with the automation and control apparatus/application - just the raw equipment installation and setup. For me, at the time, it was a HUGE project. I was new with the company and was hired to do this and then transition into a test technician role. Which made sense... since I had such an intimate knowledge of how the chamber operated. It was a great challenge and a fantastic opportunity and learning experience. That job was a great job in general for someone with my background.

Where do you work if you don't mind saying? I work in a HVAC design and test lab and just curious. I am currently a heating test technician but I spent about 2.5 years running one of our psychometric chambers.

I did work for Underwriters Laboratories in Plano, TX. We did both 3rd party performance testing as well as some safety testing - mostly performance, though. The lab was brand new when I started there - hence my involvement with building their third and largest test chamber at that particular location. After about 3 years we moved the entire facility (including all 3 test chambers) about 1 block away to a much larger facility. And yes... that involved an in-house tear-down of everything you see in those pictures and a lot more. New rooms were added at the new facility. The move was another immense project -- involving setting everything backup, converting all our multiple 10, 15, and 20 ton Trane condensing units and low-temp units to water-cooled (they added a massive cooling tower at the new facility). I was there for 5.5 years from '07 through '12. It was really a great job... a great outfit to work for. I've moved on to private contracting now.

That's pretty damn cool! Never even heard of a psychrometric chamber. Sounds like a great experience getting to put it all in and test it all out. Cool stuff

Ok very cool. Like you said a place like this seems like a great springboard for getting up into the industry. I'm only about 3.5 years in so I'll probably stick around a little bit longer. I do really like the multitude of things we cover, lets you cover it all in.

Top notch!

Those environmental rooms are a whole different trade, impressive stuff!!!!

Sent from my Event using Tapatalk