Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Goodman sold!!

Thumbs up Watch out Trane.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articl...N-UPDATE-2.XML

Goodman with money to build and engineer new products, could be a real good deal for everyone.

I would say that Goodman has increased it's market share from 17% to maybe 31% with that move.

As far as Goodman equipment, it has become strong in the market in the past 5 years, and increases to show better products every year.

The grip that I had with them was selling to public and online well here in AMD FTW. that don't happen anymore for any products.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Question

didn't goodman have to drop the janitrol name to get people to sell them

Have installed a few of the newer Goodman/Amana units. I really don't care for them. Found them to be really noisy, burners and inducer motor. Have gone back to installing American Standard exclusivly and love their equipment. Love having happy customers instead of complaints about noise. I think for dependablility Goodman is as good as any other brand, they all have their problems.
    "Go big or Go Home"

I am just a lowly homeowner. I like the fact that Goodman provides detailed operating info on its website such as expanded heating and cooling data as well as ARI test data. I was able to spec out my own heat pump (replacement for old 7 SEER, 3-ton, Trane) and chose the GSH14 because of the Copeland scroll compressor. Kept R22 refrigerant. Went with a fixed speed fan in the air handler (they can keep that v-s stuff), a TXV, and a hard-start cap. Getting a full 36,000 btu of cooling, 14 SEER, 12 EER, and 9 HSPF. Those are solid numbers with a fixed speed fan. Bought it myself thru an A1 rated Goodman supplier and paid a pro to install it. I'm very happy so far. Electric consumption has been reduced by 42% comparing August '07 to August '06.

My only complaint is the quality of the sheet metal in the air handler is very poor and the track for the 1" filter is poorly designed and almost an afterthought. I have to literally rip out the old filter and struggle to install a new one. I should have gotten a 4" media filter and avoided this problem.

There is a price to pay for the lower price of Goodman. Thinner sheetmetal is just one of the ways to cut down on costs. I also think their filter setup is a piece of crap. Set one of these down in an upright position and you are just about always going to find that the frame begins to collapse or go out of shape. Don't know why you would not opt for variable speed. The cost is not much more and the benifits far outweigh any cost difference. I for one don't like any company that will sell HVAC equipment direct to the public.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Quote Originally Posted by Black Adder View Post
    Don't know why you would not opt for variable speed. The cost is not much more and the benifits far outweigh any cost difference. I for one don't like any company that will sell HVAC equipment direct to the public.
    I didn't want the v-s because of the high replacement cost should the ECM motor fail out of warranty. One failure and any savings over the life of the system is nullified. I think like a homeowner and not like an HVAC pro. I can't get wholesale parts and free installation (one poor lady on a different site paid $1000, part only, for an OEM Bryant ECM - my entire air handler was 2/3 that price). I also like a little noise coming out of the registers to drown out the street noise. Goodman now makes a 5 speed energy efficient motor for a new model air handler - a compromise between the PSC and ECM motors. This was not available when I bought my unit in May '07.

Sorry you don't the company I bought from. I love them.

Take care.

Can't see why the cost of repair should be a factor, goodman offers 10 year parts warranty on their equipment.
    "Go big or Go Home"

Except on internet sales.......which is a big fat zero for the warranty.

Man, I'm sure glad I bought all I could when they went public!

Quote Originally Posted by centralairekc View Post
    Does anybody like goodman products. Are their products built well and reliable?
    Hmmm, $2.65 Billion dollars up from $1.4 Billion dollars three years ago and we are wondering if anybody likes Goodman?

There are more HVAC systems with the Goodman label then any other singular brand on the market. I'd say someone likes Goodman. Me? I don't even have centrl air
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

I've seen thousands of Goodman system installed in less than optimal situations.....I'm confident in their ability to make a quality product.

I'm not a huge fan of Goodman, but that is my preference. It will be interesting to see how things change or try to change over the next year or so.

We install mostly amana products. I think that the condensers are as good as any brands, the prices are great, the warranties are the best in the business, but the air handlers are cheaply made and I hate having to install the external txv kits which I think are sloppy looking. I guess you can't have it all.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast