Thread: Gurgling Boiler

Gurgling Boiler

Got a boiler that has me scratching my head. It gurgles. When a zone calls for heat it fires, runs to supply heat, comes up to temp once demand is met it shuts down. Then it starts to gurgle, not every time but maybe every 4 or 5th cycle. All air vents work, thoroughly cleaned and brushed, drained and filled, pressure and temps are good. 20 year old Burnham in good shape. These folks want a few more years from this thing so replacement is a bad suggestion. Told them a new mpo would be a good way to go.

Move pump to pumping away from boiler [expansion tank] and add a honeywell supervent.
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

Thought about that

but everything was fine until the expansion tank was replace. It was shortly after that the gurgling begain so it a rather new problem.

Nope. Replaced expansion tank means the expansion tank is now doing it's job, keeping the pressure on, which means the circulator is now experiencing enough of a pressure differential to cause problems. Gurgling'll be just the tip of the iceberg; squealing and cavitation'll be along, by and by.

fix

so the fix is replacing the Circulating pump?

No repositioning it. You'll need to visit www.heatinghelp.com and search "PUMPING AWAY"
    My doctor gave me six months to live, but when I couldn't pay the bill he gave me six months more.
    Walter Matthau

pumping away

Quote Originally Posted by spotts View Post
    No repositioning it. You'll need to visit www.heatinghelp.com and search "PUMPING AWAY"

i have the book pumping away love it
    frank
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

Quote Originally Posted by akfred View Post
    but everything was fine until the expansion tank was replace. It was shortly after that the gurgling begain so it a rather new problem.

nothing to do with the Tank ..

fresh load'a .. Water ...

be noisy fer a while .

Quote Originally Posted by anna conda View Post
    Nope. Replaced expansion tank means the expansion tank is now doing it's job, keeping the pressure on, which means the circulator is now experiencing enough of a pressure differential to cause problems. Gurgling'll be just the tip of the iceberg; squealing and cavitation'll be along, by and by.
    itsa .. Circulator ....

it doesn't see System Differential, only a + on the outlet, and a - on the inlet ...

sounds like you have some air in the system, maybe when u replaced the expansion tank.

you can blow it out.
    blow it out one zone at a time use a garden hose.
    take a good look at the loops before, use the fast fill.
    I always put the end of the hose in a bucket see the bubbles once they stop you know air is out of the zone.
    then close that zone off, blow the next one out.
    once your done don't foreget the fast fill, also check the packing nots on all valves u used.
    sometimes on them old units they will drip, ease back on them valvess a litttle and make nuts tight if they are
    also when I blow out a zone i will have that fast fill open and as I am closing the valve to my hose once its just about closed i will turn off fast fill just to make sure the air is out of it if you have a long vertical pipe there.

OK guys, waaaaaaaaaaaaaay to technical for this forum. If you are a technician, and you have highly technical questions such as this, and you need them answered, they must be asked in the Professional Forums.

There is a link in my mess of a signature line, find the link, apply for Professional Status and then you can enter the Pro forums to ask questions like this.

Soooooooo, this thread is closed. You should be able to glean enough info to get yourself outta trouble.