Refrigerant and oil sample protocol

Boss recently said that he got a nasty gram from someone at Fedex or somewhere about refrigerant and oil samples being hazmat and needed to be crated. What have you guys been doing to send these off?

r404a

I just tape the caps on, seal in a plastic bag with shredder paper, triple box, them with shredder paper used as packing between the boxes. The things the package delivery people do are unbelievable. Had two prop fans that looked like they tried to fold them in half, the boxes were taped together when they were shipped, and someone cut the tape and separated them. Had a 1 1/2 hp motor that the shaft and bearing were shoved thru the opposite end bell. This is just this year.

Shipping oil is not a hazard however refrigerant is considered a hazmat item because it is pressurized. FedEx will instuct you on how to fill out the paperwork, package and label the box. That is their job. We use a DOT approved box with green non-flammable gas diamond sticker. Check out the cardboard box for your refrigerant cylinders. It has all the correct labeling.

Quote Originally Posted by mikep View Post
    Shipping oil is not a hazard however refrigerant is considered a hazmat item because it is pressurized. FedEx will instuct you on how to fill out the paperwork, package and label the box. That is their job. We use a DOT approved box with green non-flammable gas diamond sticker. Check out the cardboard box for your refrigerant cylinders. It has all the correct labeling.
    Low pressure refrigerants (R-11, R-113 and R-123) are not Hazmats, and can ship with no special paperwork.

Medium and high pressure refrigerants are Hazmants due to the pressure being over 5 psig in the sample cylinder at room temperature. If you were to sample a flammable refrigerant (like propane, isobutane etc.) then you need to get a red diamond sticker for the box.

Oils are not Hazmats, but you should vent off refrigerant prior to shipping if you want the sample to arrive intact. A lot of samples come in with the oil blown all over the inside of the box because the sample bottle was not vented. The tape around the lid doesn't seem to slow down the oil too much on its way out of the sample bottle. Our person who opens the oil kit boxes has learned to wear rubber gloves and put paper towels on the bench prior to starting that job.

I strongly urge you to get proper training on how to properly ship Hazmats if you want to stay out of trouble. The FAA and DOT are intolerant of mistakes on the Hazmat paperwork. They like to talk about some substantial fines if you don't do it correctly.

If you put a Hazmat refrigerant sample in an unmarked box (or worse yet put the green diamond marked box into an umarked outer box), you would be looking at some serious fines. They would also threaten jail time if something bad happened (like the Valuejet crash) during shipment.

The cardboard box with the green diamond sounds very familiar. I think I can see about 2000 of them from my office window

Rob Yost
    National Refrigerants
    Those that are unaware are unaware they are unaware.

Homing Pigeon is the only way to go.No placards required.

Do the same rules apply for a 30 lbs verse under 1 lb? I believe the last tubes I used the maximum capacity was 12 oz, the correct expansion factor put it at just under 8 oz. net weight for that particular refrigerant.