Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    You could switch to aluminum registers with wider fin spacing. That will produce less register noise at the same air flow. This is especially true on the returns.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Question to BaldLoonie

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    I have the same furnace. On low fire, the airflow is about like cooling is for my 2 ton. But on high fire, and the furnace is oversized for the house, it does sound like a jet engine. I have those switches set to low as well. Morale of story, don't oversize - but when I put mine in, that was the smallest model. Now they have a 60K version. Fortunately, I could do without high fire and usually have it turned off with a switch.
    I live in a mild winter climate. Could you elaborate on how to set up that swtch? Thanks -JR

JR

Sure glad to see your post. My 4 tons of Trane XL16i mated with the XV80 operates exactly as yours. I only saw about a month of cooling need after the install, and I was absolutely delighted. 95 percent of the time the unit runs on Stage 1 and is dead quiet. Stage 2 wasn't too bad either as far as noise goes. The DIP switches are set to provide 1600 cfm for that stage.

Now that the heating season has arrived (sort of anyway), I'm not at all happy with the noise. It seems the furnace starts out on low heat and then almost immediately ramps up on high heat. The contractor is coming out to change out the return. It is simply, not large enough. According to the install notes, on high heat my furnace ramps up to 1750 cfm. That increase over the Stage 2 cooling (1600 cfm) was just enough to start the return registers playing a very melodious tune! I've had to remove the grills until we get 'em upsized a bit.

What kind of T-stat do you have? Is it single stage or multi-stage?

Stat is the Honeywell TH8320U and it's definately wired to provide the Y1/Y2 (two stage cooling) and W1/W2 (two stage heating) signals.

I've just discovered that as delivered, the default settings on the XV80 are very interesting. Dip switches 7 and 8 determine the fan speed settings for heating. Trane, for whatever reason, has them set to provide the exact same speed on both Stage 1 and Stage 2 (7 off 8 on). That setting isn't even listed in the Service Facts, but is listed on the label inside the door. Rather than it listing the Low/High cfms it just says "MEDIUM"??

I sat and watched the furnace go through several cycles. The burner would start out on Stage 1 and then immediately kick up to Stage 2 and the fan speed LED always blinked 13 times indicating 1300 cfm. I set it to 7 on and 8 on. Which results in 1000 cfm on Stage 1 and 1600 cfm on Stage 2. I'll have to check the temperature rise to make sure I'm getting enough airflow on Stage 1, but what a difference. Very, very quiet. Why Trane is delivering them this way.....?????

Note that this is for a 140k btu furnace. Air flows will be different depending upon furnace size.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12