Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    if you are not getting what you asked for up front stop the job better to fix now than try after sheet rock . also i would check all duct work and make sure it is sealed tight before sheetrock

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    Did you contact any of the numerous contractors from this site that are in your area. I am sure Mark Beiser would have been a god fit for you.
    Looks like Mark Beiser has been upgraded to a higher status!

Sorry Classical, just trying to have a little fun. I usually have so many typos it's ridiculous.

I usually proof my replies carefully must have missed that one. Or maybe it was a Freudian slip and I consider Mark an A/C GOD.

Mark has specific training from what he writes that would seem to be very pertinent to your desires. It might be worth your while to hire him as an expert to evaluate your design and the work performed.

Once those walls are sealed you’re stuck with what you have.

You can also come to an accommodation with your current contractor for work performed and have a competent contractor complete the work.

Remember a little additional money spent now to have superior work will pay multi fold over allowing inferior work to stand.

Quote Originally Posted by andserco View Post
    We need pics...
    The first picture is the contractor installed return vent in the main room.
    The second picture is the bottom of the chase showing the flexible duct connection.
    The third picture is the second contractor installed return vent on another side of this chase.
    The fourth picture is looking at the main room installed vent from the rear
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Quote Originally Posted by nickpt828 View Post
    so what is the story with that? why did everyone else wanna put the air handler in the attic and one wanna try something different?
    In this part of Texas, 99.9% of the air handlers and duct work are installed in the attic - it is the cheapest answer for the builder.

I made sure that mine was not going to be installed in the attic, and that has been a battle. Any time you do something different when building a house, there will be problems.

Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    Where is the builder during all this? His job is to oversee the job and handles all issues with subs. I will err on the side of caution. You sound very involved (maybe too much and are irritating everybody) we get them all the time. That being said, you are paying for the job, so you should get what you want. As long as you have said it and not assuming it to be understood. I agree that the return boxes should be lined, but if there is a duct in the chase, the chase doesn't need to be lined, just because there is a duct in it. I will assume you already know that. Before you start cussing and piss somebody off, which will get you nowhere usually. Call the HVAC guy and talk to him like you would a police officer that just pulled you over for speeding, it will probably get you alittle further. Sometimes people get a little emotional and think the sun rises and sets on their ONE project, the HVAC guy likely has many things going on and if you explain to him your concerns, it will most likely be addressed and remedied in a manner that will benefit you. Oh yeah, DIY is necessary, it means I get to come in and fix homeowners screwups. Like the dude that went out and bought $200 worth of Tstats this last week because his unit was cycling on and off and his buddy told him it would fix it He installed them and everything. It turned out to be a $1.28 light switch for the disconnect on the furnace. So yeah, keep on DIY'ers, I like your money.
    I'm the builder on this job.
    I never cuss at anybody. I go out of my way to never irritate my subs - sometimes way too far out of my way, but that is my personality and I'm happy with it.
    The HVAC contractor will never know that I'm not happy with this part of the task. It is something I can fix and that is pretty much done. I will post the after pictures tomorrow if I have time. It was a 12 hour day at the house today.
    There are also lots of DIY homeowners that haven't got a clue. I'm not one of them.
    I have copies of Manual D, T, and all of the applicable city code books.
    I checked, and the installer is within code - barely.

The chase is in a central location and is in conditioned space. I couldn't find a source for duct board on a Saturday, so I spent a few hours playing with drywall today. It will take me another hour or so in the morning, and this task too will be done. Except for the brick ties, the house is ready for the city inspection.

It's not my place to teach the contractor new ways to do things. I don't have the time nor the energy. If the fastest way to get my house ready for inspection and on to completion is to do it myself, then that is what is going to happen.

first off
    that electrical outlet can not be in that chase
    the wire running through the grille frame has to be moved also

can not have wires in a return or outlets

that chase should be metal or duct board
    the opening unless the system is max 2 ton need to be bigger

the return in the basement instead of flex should be metal also

why are you paying these guys for if you are going to do the work

if the roofer drops off the chingles and forgets to come back are you going to put them on and pay him

same with the rocker and anyone else

Quote Originally Posted by tinknocker service tech View Post
    first off
    that electrical outlet can not be in that chase
    the wire running through the grille frame has to be moved also

can not have wires in a return or outlets

that chase should be metal or duct board
    the opening unless the system is max 2 ton need to be bigger

the return in the basement instead of flex should be metal also

why are you paying these guys for if you are going to do the work

if the roofer drops off the chingles and forgets to come back are you going to put them on and pay him

same with the rocker and anyone else
    The drywall no separates the outlet from the return air chase.
    You are correct, the wire will have to be moved - one way or another.
    The chase is now drywall - which meets code.
    The system is 2 ton.
    Flex duct return in the basement meets code. It isn't my preferred answer, but it will work. If it causes me problems, I know how to replace it and I will.

I can get on my high horse and complain, or I can get the house built. Every problem that crops up has a different solution, but the goal is always to get the house built right, on budget, and as soon as possible.

It was faster to fix it today than call them Monday morning and schedule another service call. It also appeared to be the most likely approach to an answer that didn't have leaks between the return air duct and the attic.

have to admit i like your additude
    good luck with the house

I do not like to use a chase as a duct. BUT, if it's gonna be sheet rocked on the outside why must he line the inside?

You need to get a 14" X whatever return grill, the frame you have installed is hanging over out of the chase. At least that's how it appears in the pic , I may be wrong.

i think it would have been simpler to just run a lenth of 14in pipe up the chase to a return box the size of the grille being used

this way it is sealed and self contianed and imo a better job

but that is how i would have done doesnt mean it has to be that way

Quote Originally Posted by paul42 View Post
    I'm the builder on this job.
    When building you assemble a crew based upon many facets, and I suspect that you have very little experience in this area, hence, the reason that you are running into issues with your HVAC contractor. I have a great deal of experience in contracts ranging from the very simple to the hundred million plus, and albeit there is the legal component to the contract a contract is more powerful if both parties understand what needs to be achieved versus going to court should something goes wrong. You chose the wrong contractor or you are conveying your expectations incorrectly; I also believe I know why and would not be placing blame completely on your contractor.

I never cuss at anybody. I go out of my way to never irritate my subs - sometimes way too far out of my way, but that is my personality and I'm happy with it.
    Cursing, and irritation has nothing to do with a good construction job—it’s experience.

The HVAC contractor will never know that I'm not happy with this part of the task. It is something I can fix and that is pretty much done.
    Getting the right crew together to build "your vision" will do you very little good if the cannot convey to your crew your vision in a manner that they will build to—this is a very difficult thing to do, and very few are good at doing it.

There are also lots of DIY homeowners that haven't got a clue. I'm not one of them.
    I find this a bit arrogant. This forum has strict rules on DIY of which you have surpassed, and are still allowed to post.

I checked, and the installer is within code - barely.
    Then it is still within code compliance. Again, your vision does not align with your contractor’s as you either chose the wrong contractor or you are not properly conveying your expectations.

Hopefully, you will not take this post wrong as it is not meant to be derogatory.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast