Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Lennox View Post
    I was seriously thinking about gettint an XL19i heat pump for my house in eastern PA. until I saw what the heating capacity was. Just about everyone else has better heating capacity than Trane. Even Amana. Why would you want to purchase the Trane? Am I missing something.
    I am a homeowner who is mostly studied AC the last few years, curious to what the facts are here. I don't have the heatpump heating capacity numbers for the XL19i, although the cooling capacity is good in the 2.5 and 3.0 ton sizes. What numbers do you see?

My hodgepodge of technical notes includes Amana ASZ16 heatpump at 34,400 btuh for 3.0 ton size, if I read it right. The Trane XL14i heatpump at 33,800 or 31,800 btuh. The Trane XL16i heatpump at 33,200 to 32,000 btuh depending on coil and air handler.

One possible reason to choose a heatpump would be not just by capacity ("bigger is not always better"), but by efficiency or performance around your actual climate conditions. I don't know enough to say whether any Trane models look better that in that respect. For a 2-stage unit, there would be long runtimes at low stage most of the year, though I am not sensitive to how valuable that is in heating mode. This is interesting to me but since I am in S.Texas where nearly every furnace is oversized, mainly of academic interest.

Thanks -- Pstu

The only reason I went with an XL19i was because I was doing a zoned system and needed a compressor that could deliver lower CFM for when only one zone (usually the bedroom) needs cooling. It's worked out quite well.

I'm not sure your friend's analogy of struggling against the heated ducts is really correct. At least with the way mine is set up, if the zone isn't cooled in 10 minutes it switches over to the 2nd compressor. During the hot season it switches back and forth from small to large compressor as needed to keep the zones cool.

Maybe think of the XL19i as trying the hammer before pulling out the dynamite.

Hope that helps.

I believe I saw where the XL19i heatpump puts out 30,000 btuh at 47 deg. In a cold climate every btu counts,

32,800 btu,s at 47 degrees F

Just curious, why do you want/need the XL19? The XL16 is a good system and probably a much better price. Have you done a cost benefit analysis? Once you get over 15-16 SEER the cost-benefits seem to plummet.

I recommend always checking with the local BBB before buying that expensive HVAC system.

gary_g, I notice you tend to focus exclusively on the hottest day of the hottest part of the year. Generally an HVAC is not designed for that.

Let us know what you finally decide to buy.

Alex

Air conditioning is "the" issue in Phoenix. We are still using daily air. A house could be lived in all year with very little to no heat at all. That's not to say you would not need some warm clothes in the harsh ( ? ) winter days when the high may only get to 55-65.
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Average High Temperature Years on Record: 48
    YEAR Jan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec.
    F 86 66 70 75 84 93 103 105 103 99 88 75 66

I was originally thinking XL19i because the 2 compressors give you a better split between stages than the scroll compressor in the XL16i.

I was not aware that Carrier could give as good a split as the Trane XL19i.

I thought I would try to decide what equipment I wanted and then call contractors that deal with that brand. I do not know anyone that can reccomend anyone so I thought narrowing down the brand would make it less confusing. Other than Amana and Rheem I can't even find any detailed specifications on the other units like Trane or Carrier. What is the big secret?

Cool SpineFin

Quote Originally Posted by Old Lennox View Post
    I was seriously thinking about gettint an XL19i heat pump for my house in eastern PA. until I saw what the heating capacity was. Just about everyone else has better heating capacity than Trane. Even Amana. Why would you want to purchase the Trane? Am I missing something.
    All aluminum SpineFin, All aluminum ComfortCoil, Vortica fan system in air handler, RotoLok connections at compressor, Dual ClimaTuff compressors, DuraTuf basepan, WeatherBeater top, double sloped composite drain pan, baked on powder paint, Easy-cess panels for maint., proven reliability-durability-efficiency-dependability, happy workers at all factories, 100% production line tested coils to ensure leak-free units, top rate warranties with profitability for contractor if repairs are needed during warranty period (rare, but good $). Did I mention the SEET lab in Tyler, TX? Oh yeah...." It's Hard To Stop A TRANE "

Quote Originally Posted by kellyr24 View Post
    All aluminum SpineFin, All aluminum ComfortCoil, Vortica fan system in air handler, RotoLok connections at compressor, Dual ClimaTuff compressors, DuraTuf basepan, WeatherBeater top, double sloped composite drain pan, baked on powder paint, Easy-cess panels for maint., proven reliability-durability-efficiency-dependability, happy workers at all factories, 100% production line tested coils to ensure leak-free units, top rate warranties with profitability for contractor if repairs are needed during warranty period (rare, but good $). Did I mention the SEET lab in Tyler, TX? Oh yeah...." It's Hard To Stop A TRANE "
    Can I assume you are a Trane dealer?

From what I've seen it looks more like she's a Trane marketer. I'm just wondering where she keeps the pom-poms.

We sell both Trane and Carrier,I like the Infinity control better for humid PA weather like we are having now.
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

It's Hard To Stop A TRANE

It more expensive to get them going again after the warranty runs out.

Couldn't resist.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Angry Male Chauvinst?

Quote Originally Posted by glewis29 View Post
    From what I've seen it looks more like she's a Trane marketer. I'm just wondering where she keeps the pom-poms.
    What if "she" was a He? No "pom-poms" needed, just providing facts for a legitimate question asked by the OP! 17 yr Exp. Service Technician / Installer / Estimator / Sales / Designer of whole house, multi zone, multi-family, high efficiency, reliable, durable, comfort providing, Heating & Cooling Systems is what I do, no marketing needed here. A referral driven business provides my family with a generous lifestyle, how'z about you? Are you doing enough for your family, or would that be a question that I should direct to the "man" of the house?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast