Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Trane 19i and American Home Maintenance Questions

Can anyone tell me is there a good and less expensive, alternative for the 5 ton Trane 19i? Also does anyone have a recommendation or not for American Home Maintenance,Inc in Phoenix AZ?

Quote Originally Posted by Katlan View Post
    Can anyone tell me is there a good and less expensive, alternative for the 5 ton Trane 19i? Also does anyone have a recommendation or not for American Home Maintenance,Inc in Phoenix AZ?
    An XL16i is a good option for the XL19i, it has a slight SEER loss but it does use R410 refrigerant.

AHM is a well respected Trane dealer, but you might also try JR Perkins, Howard Air, Air Conditioning by Jay, or Wolf Mechanical, also great Trane Phoenix dealers.

Not sure about the company that you named, but you might want to post your inquiry to somthing like " Trane consumers in Phoenix Az." I have seen on here lots of realy bad installations in the Phoenix area. There are pictures in "The wall of shame". Payson, and chandleraz are some of them.

Can anyone tell me is there a good and less expensive, alternative for the 5 ton Trane 19i?
    The Trane XL19i has dual compressors. Why do you need 2 compressors?

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    The Trane XL19i has dual compressors. Why do you need 2 compressors?
    For one thing, it lets Trane choose just what size it wants, for 1st vs. 2nd stage. They apparently chose about 55%. As opposed to the single compressor type which usually has 1st stage 67% or even 80% of 2nd stage. Dual compressor design is obviously expensive, but it lets you really go long on 1st stage runtimes. I like the results.

I'd certainly be interested in hearing the pros and cons from people more expert.

Hope this helps -- Pstu

Frown Alternative?

NO! The XL19i is 2 systems in one, because of the dual compressors.Matched with variable speed airflow it is the #1 Total Comfort System! Don"t know of the AHM co., but do take the advice about Pay*%@. Get more than 1 quote and go with your gut feeling. Take your time and ask alot of questions about the company's policies regarding warranties and certifications. Ask about financing if $ is an issue. If you are staying in this home for a long time, this system is your absolute BEST choice! No real alternative, just different systems for different needs. Enjoy your Comfort System & remember "It's Hard To Stop A TRANE"

How would a dual compressor system be more comfortable than a typical single stage compressor in the blazing Arizona summers? It would run on second stage most of the time, anyway. Is is needed to remove humidity in the Desert? No. I just don't see the need for it, it's overkill.

Confused Overkill?

How would a dual compressor system be more comfortable than a typical single stage compressor in the blazing Arizona summers? It would run on second stage most of the time, anyway. Is is needed to remove humidity in the Desert? No. I just don't see the need for it, it's overkill.
    If you have ever been in a home that has this type of system installed, providing comfort on a mild day, hot day, and extremely hot day...you would not have the OPINION that it's overkill. Don't always need 5 tons of cooling....XL19i has the solution! System design includes more than moisture removal....trane.com....

Gary, assuming a manual J was done, a system is over sized any time it is operating at below non design conditions. Our design temp in Lake Havasu Az. are 118 (mid 120s are not uncommon) so on a day like this past Saturday when the temp was 95 the system would be way oversized or summer nights when temps drop to high 90s. The Trane 19i or 16i are great systems for Arizona running on there lower capacities much of the time but having the higher capacities when needed.

Bye the way we do have our monsoon season in Arizona with rain and 110 degree temps.

Quote Originally Posted by jimj View Post
    Gary, assuming a manual J was done, a system is over sized any time it is operating at below non design conditions. Our design temp in Lake Havasu Az. are 118 (mid 120s are not uncommon) so on a day like this past Saturday when the temp was 95 the system would be way oversized or summer nights when temps drop to high 90s. The Trane 19i or 16i are great systems for Arizona running on there lower capacities much of the time but having the higher capacities when needed.

Bye the way we do have our monsoon season in Arizona with rain and 110 degree temps.
    Wow - design conditions of 120F, summer nights in the 90's - holy sh*t, you guys are crazy. Thanx for the info. Stay cool and take care.

The input is appreciated. Someone told me the smaller compressor, on the dual compressor system would struggle a lot against the hot ducts in the attic of a home built on a slab in Phoenix summer. That was his best arguement ahainst the dual compressor of the 19i. Any further thoughts would be great.

If your really worried about humidity control during the monsoon season.
    The Carrier Infinity with the Bristol TS compressor(50/100 split), and Infinity control would take care of that.

Get estimates on other brands in 2 stage models. Then compare the capacity splits.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Why Trane?

I was seriously thinking about gettint an XL19i heat pump for my house in eastern PA. until I saw what the heating capacity was. Just about everyone else has better heating capacity than Trane. Even Amana. Why would you want to purchase the Trane? Am I missing something.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast