Thread: 9 lead motor

Post Likes

9 lead motor

was informed that a contractor (electrical) wired a motor, customer called us (hvac dept) and stated his motor is not running, only humming.
    upon trouble shootin found that the motor was wired wrong, 208/230 3 phase line voltage. motor was found to be wired for 460 volts high voltage.
    I know that on a 9 lead motor high voltage is in series & low voltage is in parallel. my question is what exactly made the motor fail?
    Is it the higher current with the lower voltage wired in series?

thanks Jesaire

Post Likes
    without knowing anything more than you told us...did it really fail or was it just stalled? if it actually failed, my guess is that the motor did not have enough torque to properly spin the rotor. without enough "spin" the motor did not cool itself and it ended up being an electric heater. if it was just stalled, you (he) effectively had a 40 hp nameplate motor and turned it into a 20 hp motor, for example. after awhile, i would imagine that it would fail due to overheating.

good luck.
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    without knowing anything more than you told us...did it really fail or was it just stalled? if it actually failed, my guess is that the motor did not have enough torque to properly spin the rotor. without enough "spin" the motor did not cool itself and it ended up being an electric heater. if it was just stalled, you (he) effectively had a 40 hp nameplate motor and turned it into a 20 hp motor, for example. after awhile, i would imagine that it would fail due to overheating.

good luck.
    Well said
    All my leon freaked out!

Post Likes

Hmm

did you rewire it for 208/230 to see if it bummed and or ran,was it open windings or grounded out to the frame?how long was it miswired and ran?
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Post Likes
    I had a customer once who replaced a pump motor. They call me to say it was running slow, and there was a brown stripe around the motor.

The ranch foreman (this was when I was in the ag business) saw 9 leads in the motor, 3 leads from the line, so he just picked the first 3 from the motor and let her rip. He wire nutted the rest together.

I can't believe it even ran for a second and didn't blow a breaker! When I got there it was done.

I agree with JayGuy

Post Likes
    Jayguy hit the nail on the head. Too much resistance in the windings, can not pull enough amps to turn the motor over. How hot was that motor? It could still be ok. cool it off wait awhile ohm the windings make sure all three ohms readings are the same. Hope this helps.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis.

Post Likes
    even this guy could of wired that motor properly

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    even this guy could of wired that motor properly
    You might be amazed at the number of calls I get about low voltage/high voltage on the motor label.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Post Likes

Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    You might be amazed at the number of calls I get about low voltage/high voltage on the motor label.
    i know, but it just kills me how someone can turn something simple into rocket science!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in