Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

thanks.... but

well,

I have a new computer with core duo etc... so it is modern... but it still puts out lots of heat... even the video card has a fan.

I can't duct out the window. The minisplit sounds good but it is more of a project than I was hoping for.

I put in a ceiling fan. Not helping too much.

I put a fan next to the ac duct to push air into the room. no help.

I can punch a hole through to my garage. THe garage is already hot from 2 cars and a freezer..... is it a mistake to vent a portable ac unit into the garage. Will it drip a lot of water into the garage?

thx.

Put the freezer into a cooler part of the home. Leave the garage door open until the cars cool down.

Put in a window unit through the wall into the garage, and leave the garage door cracked open about a foot when you're running the window unit during the day. At night, put all your computer/electronic equipment into sleep or standby mode, shut off the room unit, and close the garage door completely.

As for the water, unless you're extracting a lot of humidity from the room, the outdoor section of the window unit has a slinger ring on the fan that will fling condensate up onto the condenser coil, where it will evaporate. Since your house is already air conditioned, humidity load on the window unit will be less...and if you live in a dry climate, even more so.

I had an 8,500 btuh window unit installed through the wall of my shop to outdoors in humid north Texas...it never dripped once. You could sometimes hear the water being slung up onto the outdoor coil by the condenser fan, but it never dripped water onto the ground.

Are there finished rooms above the garage...or just an attic?

re

no other place for freezer.....

no room to put the window unit into the garage... only option is to put a portable unit in room and run hose unobtrusively through the wall.

I don't use the office all day... only in the evening or on weekends.... Only would need to turn on the ac then.

there is living space over the garage.

The single hose portable a/c models will only pull air out of your home, causing the whole house a/c system to run more.

For about the same amount of room you'd need to punch two holes in the wall to run a two hose portable a/c (which are more expensive vs. single hose models...which is probably why you don't see many, if any, two hose models in the home centers for sale) you could have a carpenter frame in an opening for a window unit chassis and poke it into the garage. Is your wall area in the room and/or in the garage so limited, it could not give up an area roughly 15" x 24" for a wall mounted window unit?

Please understand that the garage location for the outdoor half of the window a/c is not ideal. Given that you're only using the office evenings and weekends, and given that there is living space above the garage vs. an attic that becomes superheated during the day and cooks the garage well into the night with that heat, I think you'd be okay doing an a/c this way...keeping in mind to crack open the garage door when the unit is running.

re

thanks for the advice...

We live in an upscale home... My office is right in the front of the house. I just think a window ac unit in the wall next to my medical school diplomas would look horrible. I could conceal a portable hose but not the window unit. If this were a business office in a working area of the house it would be different.

Quote Originally Posted by radman2020 View Post
    thanks for the advice...

We live in an upscale home... My office is right in the front of the house. I just think a window ac unit in the wall next to my medical school diplomas would look horrible. I could conceal a portable hose but not the window unit. If this were a business office in a working area of the house it would be different.
    Any other approach than either a small mini-split air handler or a small window unit mounted high on the wall is going to be more labor intensive and likely be less aesthetically appealing than what has been proposed. Especially poking a hose or two through the wall...doesn't sound very elegant to me. The portables will take up floor space, and will either need to be frequently emptied when they fill up with condensate, or the condensate pumped out of the office and disposed of. Again, I strongly recommend AGAINST the single hose models. Which means a two hose model gives you twice the aesthetic problem of disguising or playing down the hose appearance. The portables will also put the compressor noise inside the house, vs. outside. A window unit isn't much better in that regard, so if noise is a concern, the mini-split air handlers can be whisper quiet.

If it were me I'd either find a different room in the house to designate as my office that will present easier heat mitigation solutions...or move the medical degrees to another wall or spot in the house and install the window or mini split unit and keep my computers comfy. If the room at the front of the house right now has a door that can be closed...you'll want it closed while the unit is running, anyway. You could also consider building shelving around the wall unit (without restricting its airflow) to play down its appearance...I've seen this done before and if there are other objects on the shelves, the wall unit tends to fade a bit in visual impact. Left alone on a bare or sparsely decorated wall, yeah, it's gonna stand out. Incorporate it into your office decor and it should be fine...and your computers will thank you for it.

re

thx.

wall unit not an option. veto by wife. shelves or no shelves.
    the thought with the portable unit is that the hoses would be run along the side of the room behind the desk so you wouldn't see them.

agree, water would be a problem... I thought I would get one that evaporates the water outside.. but my guess is that it would flood the garage.

noise is not an issue. I love white noise.

can't move my office.

sounds like the minisplit is the solution...... not sure I am prepared..

nothing is easy is it!!

thx

Go to mr slim dot com, look up a dealer!
    Aire Serv of SW Connecticut- Gas heat, dual fuel and central a/c systems installed and serviced

I put a portable unit in our upstairs office and vented the exaust hose down into the garage...the setup worked well enough, but because the condensor was in the room itself it was annoyingly loud (and this unit was supposedly a quieter one). Condensation was never an issue as the unit I used didn't make a lot of condensate and we're in a fairly dry climate.

After zoning my house, I've since removed it.

This is the one I have (basically) and I'd recommend it or something like it if you don't mind the noise http://www.sunpentown.com/wa10poacmaco.html

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by radman2020 View Post
    thanks for the advice...

We live in an upscale home... My office is right in the front of the house. I just think a window ac unit in the wall next to my medical school diplomas would look horrible.

Quit pinching the purse strings Doc and put in the mini-split. I probably pay you more to read your magazines while waiting on you.....
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12