Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Homeowners Question on Upgraded ICP Board

Hi All... I'm a homeowner with an older TRANE XE80 furnace that was installed in my house back in 2001. Since then, I have been through more than a few parts and had a technical question for you all. Back in 10/2004 was the last time I needed service and the Mechanic swapped out the WHITE-ROGERS 50A65-475 board, (TRANE P/N:CNT 03076). I just had the mechanic come out today as the ignitor wasn't firing. He replaced the ignitor, measured control voltage output to ignitor, 116-68 / 100-63 / 88-61. As he was getting ready to leave, he could here it shut down and cycle even when the thermostat was set to 72 and it was still 62 in the house. He mentioned the ICP board might be going again and that I could find one cheaper elsewhere rather than buy it from him...which I found was quite odd. Anyway...he said that the upgraded board was the WHITE-ROGERS 50A65-476 (TRANE P/N:03798),board, but as I have been reading more and more threads on the various HVAC sites, I found that WHITE-ROGERS makes an even better board that is supposed to replace ALL the 50A65-xxx boards, and it's called the 50A65-843 board. My question is that if this is, in fact, the best board they put out there now, why would my HVAC mechanic try to steer me towards the other board? Could this be a matter of getting rid of older stock??? I'm puzzled over this one and in fact, if my ICP board IS going on this machine, when the mechanic comes back out to install a new one, I would like to be able to instruct him to put in the best board instead of just what he is selling. Any help on this would be appreciated...Thanks in advance,
    V/R,
    JD

Hello. I do not know what the 50A65-476 is, but the 50A65-843 does replace the 50A65-475. Better board? Really depends on the design. Purge times and fan delay times are the difference. I can not locate any info on the 50A65-476, or I would help you out more.
    "Fighting Ignorance since 1973 (It’s taking longer than we thought)." The Straight Dope.

Hmm Mysterious -476 Board???

Thanks for the reply...I couldn't find anything on the -476 board either. He showed me one before he left and it looked identical to the -475 board except it was a green board instead of the ivory colored original. One would think I could find a data sheet on the TRANE site if it is an OEM replacement part...oh well!!! Take care,
    JD

By the way, how is the bike races? The trane (TRANE P/N:03798) also the -476 is a replacement for the -475 as well. I still can't find the specs for it. I would go with the direct replacement to be sure. The -843. Good luck.
    "Fighting Ignorance since 1973 (It’s taking longer than we thought)." The Straight Dope.

Smile

Racing is ALWAY good!!! Of course, in the Pacific Northwest, half the season is in the rain...but you get used to it up here...and, with the right tire choice, you can get dang near up to regular speed. It's a constant battle for tire choices...rains/DOT's/slicks, HAHa!!! It keeps it interesting though. We just finished our season up here two weekends ago, so now it's time to start prepping for next April.

Quote Originally Posted by wmrra82 View Post
    Racing is ALWAY good!!! Of course, in the Pacific Northwest, half the season is in the rain...but you get used to it up here...and, with the right tire choice, you can get dang near up to regular speed. It's a constant battle for tire choices...rains/DOT's/slicks, HAHa!!! It keeps it interesting though. We just finished our season up here two weekends ago, so now it's time to start prepping for next April.
    Absolutely, but didn't your mom tell you that bike racing is dangerous? Especially in the rain. LOL!

She did back when I was twenty...but that was 25 years ago!!! Now, she has a bunch of grandchildren that she hopes listen to her better than their Father did! HaHa!! She actually worries more about me on the street than she ever would on the track...and for good reason, it's a jungle out there!

BTW...do you happen to know of a guy goes by Stickboy with his wife Lori that run DB-Motorsports??? He's down in your neck of the woods. In fact, he's the person I buy my Bridgestone Slicks from...just thought I would ask! Must head to bed...after having no heat for two days, this heat is kicking my ass. Have a good one and hope to read more interesting posts on this site...Later,

Quote Originally Posted by wmrra82 View Post
    BTW...do you happen to know of a guy goes by Stickboy with his wife Lori that run DB-Motorsports??? He's down in your neck of the woods. In fact, he's the person I buy my Bridgestone Slicks from...just thought I would ask! Must head to bed...after having no heat for two days, this heat is kicking my ass. Have a good one and hope to read more interesting posts on this site...Later,
    Unfortunately, no. They are in Connecticut, right? That's a bit far away for motorsports. I live in the heart of NASCAR country. There has to be a couple hundred motorsports shops around here. If you are in need, they are here.

The 3798 is the newest board. Not sure what the W-R designation is, we only use the OEM parts. Earlier boards, like the 3076 were trouble.

You can use the W/R 50A65-843 furnace control board it is a universal board designed to replace all 50a65 series boards. There is a jumper that needs to be installed in the 12 pin conector on the furnace wiring harness for Trane units. There is nothing special about the board that would make it BETTER that I can see from the specs. I am wondering why the tech pointed you in that direction rather than checking to see why the furnace cut off. Have the next tech check the unit for propper grounding to the unit and bonding on the burner manifold. Voltage nuetral to ground should be less than 10 volts. hope that helps.

who knows which safety its going off ?
    try another company

No...Stickboy is in North Carolina...stickboyracing dot com. My wife is the big NASCAR fan in this household. I like 'em when I have time but I seldom have any of that...this furnace is the easiest of the to-do list, HaHa!!! Take care...
    JD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast