Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Chiller plant in a box, beware!!

Hello All,

I recently sat through a couple of sales pitches on this concept at the CSG meeting. I remember having heard about a foreign outfit that did something like this, but I could't remeber the name. McQuay & York rolled out their product info with pride. I will say they both had good presentations & I'm pleased that the plants are to be assembled here in the USA, atleast for now.

But, I couldn't help but think about all of the fun & enjoyment I experience now when I have to deal with some of the mfrs of the chillers whenever there are warranty issues & such.

Imagine, if you buy one of these, you can now have the same fun whenever you have a problem with the pumps, the VFDs, the cooling tower, the controls, etc, etc.

Its a pretty good idea on the part of the mfrs if you think about it. Forget about the mfrs getting into the contracting business, if we line up to start buying these, we will just be handing them a good chunk of our business, all in the name of "saving the customer some money".

Rest assure, regardless of what its called, work that would have been done in the field will now be done in a factory. Atleast most of it anyway, the only thing we will have to do is hook the building pipes to it.

Sounds good, huh?. Not to me. Right now if we build a chiller plant, there is no question that we built it, we own it, we know all about it, etc, etc. If we buy one these contraptions, we would have call the mfr if there is a problem. No thank you.

Besides, I see plenty of access issues & I don't think there is as much room in there as you might think.

I understand completely the concept of buying a car pre-assembled in a factory, the benefits are endless.

I would prefer a site built house any day to the nicest manufactured house.

So, in closing, I still prefer site built chiller plants.
    All my leon freaked out!

Nicely stated, I think I may have seen the same presentations. The only thing these will do for the contractor is take away work and profits. The manufacturers can used relatively unskilled, underpaid labor in order to build these, this is how they are saving money. Servicing them will also be a nightmare due to space constraints. I would never sell or reccomend one. JMHO
    Your poor planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!!!!

CM,

I built one for a manufacturer a year ago. Access was an issue...Here are a couple pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

What size sytems are we talking about? Seems to me that a system of much size will have to be shipped in several modules. I am seeing that already with pump houses being shipped in a module with the chiller. Contractor simply hooks them up and calls us in for the start-up.

Quote Originally Posted by chiller mekanik View Post
    Hello All,

I recently sat through a couple of sales pitches on this concept at the CSG meeting. I remember having heard about a foreign outfit that did something like this, but I could't remeber the name. McQuay & York rolled out their product info with pride. I will say they both had good presentations & I'm pleased that the plants are to be assembled here in the USA, atleast for now.

But, I couldn't help but think about all of the fun & enjoyment I experience now when I have to deal with some of the mfrs of the chillers whenever there are warranty issues & such.

Imagine, if you buy one of these, you can now have the same fun whenever you have a problem with the pumps, the VFDs, the cooling tower, the controls, etc, etc.

Its a pretty good idea on the part of the mfrs if you think about it. Forget about the mfrs getting into the contracting business, if we line up to start buying these, we will just be handing them a good chunk of our business, all in the name of "saving the customer some money".

Rest assure, regardless of what its called, work that would have been done in the field will now be done in a factory. Atleast most of it anyway, the only thing we will have to do is hook the building pipes to it.

Sounds good, huh?. Not to me. Right now if we build a chiller plant, there is no question that we built it, we own it, we know all about it, etc, etc. If we buy one these contraptions, we would have call the mfr if there is a problem. No thank you.

Besides, I see plenty of access issues & I don't think there is as much room in there as you might think.

I understand completely the concept of buying a car pre-assembled in a factory, the benefits are endless.

I would prefer a site built house any day to the nicest manufactured house.

So, in closing, I still prefer site built chiller plants.
    Contractors doing chiller work days are numbered. You'll be lucky if we let you look at them! and In case you haven't figured it out yet Manufactures are already in the contracting business. JCI/York is the perfect example. The hole Industry is changing. My suggestion to you is move into the residential market. You and the CSG would do well there! maybe you could start overhaulin furnances!

hERE IS SOME i FOUND ON THE NET i WILL UPLOAD SOME JCI/YORK IS BUILDING SOON.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Chiller 32 you are a knucklehead

i have worked on epac units in the past... i think they are no more but the same idea... the first thing that gets me going is what does a guy do if there is a refrigerant leak and you lay yourself out looking for the door... do these packages include monitors and exaust fans...???

Here is one we did , at least it was built in Texas, 4000 tons with 3 low pressure chillers.

These are the leading guys in the Gas Turbine inlet cooling field for building portable chiller plants in a box. They mainly build for the energy industry to cool the incoming air for turbines in power plants to get more power out of the gas fired turbines.

And yes, they are MADE IN USA.

http://www.turbineairsystems.com/

Chiller 32 get a life!

Quote Originally Posted by acjourneyman View Post
    Here is one we did , at least it was built in Texas, 4000 tons with 3 low pressure chillers.

Wow, I'm glad they left soooo much room in case you might have to do a teardown!!??!! Jeez.....

Actually the beams above the chiller unbolt and the roof comes off to reveal an eye beam on the tower structure.Bolt a trolley on and away you go, there is also beams with trolleys above all the end bells.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast