Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Confused

The model number is : 4TEE3F39A

I'm not sure exactly how a variable speed air handler works. (the installers didnt bother?) My understanding it will run on low speed 80% of the time until it gets real hot and then kick into high gear. If I leave the fan switch in auto mode it works like a regular single speed A/C in high mode. It doesnt seem to slow down at all. When its in high speed it sounds like a jet engine.

With the fan switch in the on position, I can hear the fan cycle between high and low speeds, with the fan never turning off. I dont know what position the switch is supposed to be in ? (how can this possibly save money when its running all the time ? ) The installers left it in the auto position. What position is the switch supposed to be in for maximum effieciancy ?

Now that its night and the house is quiet, all the vents do blow alot harder, but are also much noisier than before. This will definitly take some getting used to. If only there was some way to quiet the bedroom vents ?

I just installed a consumer reports rated best buy thermostat - A touch screen LUX brand. (the installers were going to give me a digital, but said the one I have is much better)

any ideas/thoughts ? I would like to get some unbiased advise before I call the install company. Thanks - John

Call them back, it sounds like they just turned on the switch and left.
    They didn't set it up.
    Or, your duct system is too small.
    They need to set the ramping profile. Might want them to enable comfort r mode.
    Your stat doesn't have the ability to slow the blower down when the humidity is high.

Name brand doesn't matter, the installers do.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

http://www.trane.com/residential/pro...ableSpeed.aspx

You do indeed have a variable speed air handler.

Installers were in a rush to leave and didn't set it up correctly.

I have a different tech out right now. He said the installers left it in high speed, so I think he's taking care of that now. He is also having trouble with the freon - He says it might have air in the line, so it has to be drained and refilled. Im glad this tech seems to know what he's doing. Since he's been here the A/C did run on slow speed much like my old system, and now that he's refilling the freon i noticed the A/C has kicked into high mode. It's incredible, in high speed, my vents actually rattle, its like each vent has a blower in it. ill keep posted.

The installer did adjust the fan speed, he left it in low mode, but assured me it will ramp up and down when needed. My only complaint is, the air handler seems noisy. I mentioned it to him and he agreed, but said to wait a day or two to let it adjust ? Otherwise he said the compresser line might have to be run up the side of my air handler and then down into it ?(it will require more copper) right now it runs along the baseboard and then up the side of the air handler into it.

That is not going to help with noise, but keep on them until you are satisfied.

This is the reason that price shopping for a/c is a bad idea, 99% of the time it has nothing to do with the equipment and everything to do with the installers, only after a proper investigation of the complete duct system and load calcs have been done to verify the correct machine is installed in the first place.

You paid them, now keep on them until your system is running to your satisfaction, if you had air in your lines that also means you had moisture in there too, that is not a good thing, hopefully he evacuated the system "completely" and installed a new liquid line drier.

He's blowing smoke.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I agree. It seems they send out different levels of technical eprerienced guys each time you call. The installers seemed to know not much. The tech today seemed to know more, he knew what the problem was. I watched him (thru the window) and there was some kind of smoke/steam comming out of the lines when he told me he was replacing the froen ? I'm guessing that was drying the lines ? I call them back Friday if the noise presist. It does seem to be comming from the big copper line comming from the outside unit - not the air handler itself. (does it sound right when he said the line should have been run up the side of the air handler then down and in to it? )Other than that I'm satisfied. Thanks for help. I'll keep posted on how things turn out.

Quote Originally Posted by johnml View Post
    I watched him (thru the window) and there was some kind of smoke/steam comming out of the lines when he told me he was replacing the froen ?
    Sometimes I wonder !!!!!!!

Stay on them and get it right.

Whatever it was I'm not sure. This Trane is supposed to be better than my bottom of the line Rheem, so you can bet I'll keep on 'em. My old cheap Rheem was quieter than this Trane ? I do know it is the line comming from the outside unit- I can put my ear on the line and hear it.

Lightbulb Tech Support!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by johnml View Post
    Got my new Trane variable speed A/C installed today. I have a couple of questions.

1) Exactly how does the variable speed air handler work ? I'm not sure if mine works, it blows very hard and the air handler is loud. It seems it runs in its high gear constantly. It doesnt seem to vary at all.

2) the bedrooms nearest the air handler blow very hard, they almost sound as loud as a window shaker. I tried to close the vents, but that only made it louder. Any ideas ? I asked the tech's who installed it and they suggested that I close the vents, but that didnt work - it only made them louder.

3) Is the fan switch supposed to be on auto like a single speed A/C ? my new variable speed seems to run like the old one - shuts on and off, doesnt seem to run on a lower speed ?

I think i'll have to call them to come back tomorrow. I'm happy with the new system, but it is very loud - When all I heard is the Trane is really quiet ? the new Trane is much louder than my Rheem.

any ideas, suggestions ? Thanks - john
    #1= Comfort-R Mode... 1st minute is 50% fan speed, next 7 1/ is 80% fan speed, if required, then 100% fan speed, followed up by 3 minutes of 50% fan speed, then quietly shutting off. Excellent for heating and cooling! #2=possibly adding manual dampers at plenum & balance airflow, possibly lower cfm output via dipswitches in Airhandler, possibly installing new louvered 3 way adjustable registers, possibly increasing duct work size. First three options are ideal. #3= Auto is acceptable and preferred after #1 and #2 are performed. You have an excellent system that will provide years of comfort and savings. The comfort system installed should NOT sound like a train!! After the adjustments are made, rest assured, enjoy your system, and don't forget.." It's Hard To Stop A TRANE "

Quote Originally Posted by diesel65 View Post

Sometimes I wonder !!!!!!!

Stay on them and get it right.

That wasn't smoke or steam.....unbelievable!

Quote Originally Posted by kellyr24 View Post
    #1= Comfort-R Mode... 1st minute is 50% fan speed, next 7 1/ is 80% fan speed, if required, then 100% fan speed, followed up by 3 minutes of 50% fan speed, then quietly shutting off. Excellent for heating and cooling! #2=possibly adding manual dampers at plenum & balance airflow, possibly lower cfm output via dipswitches in Airhandler, possibly installing new louvered 3 way adjustable registers, possibly increasing duct work size. First three options are ideal. #3= Auto is acceptable and preferred after #1 and #2 are performed. You have an excellent system that will provide years of comfort and savings. The comfort system installed should NOT sound like a train!! After the adjustments are made, rest assured, enjoy your system, and don't forget.." It's Hard To Stop A TRANE "

Is the comfort R mode somthing I can set myself ? After the tech left yesterday, I set the mode back to normal, he had left it on low. The only time I can hear the fan decrease is when the temperture is reached, but at that point I think the compresser is off and the fan just slows down before stopping. I am going to call back tomorrow because of the freon line comming from the compressor. I put my ear next to it and that is where the noise is comming from (not the air handler) My old Rheem was alot quieter than this new Trane... Ever since the changes were made yesterday, the fan speed is much more "normal". The first night was unbearable, the air vents seemed each had its own blower, it was like mini tornados comming out of each one, but thats taken care of.

Im not sure it was steam, looks to me like it was escaping freon, but i'm no expert.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast