Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    400 sq ft to the ton sounds over sized to me. But then again, I don't do houses in Ft Lauderdale.
    I know nothing about sizing A/C systems. Sears was the only company who came out and did a what i'm guessing was a heat load test ? He measured my house and what windows were on the east side and west side. He actually said per his computer program data that I needed a 2.75 ton unit, but since they dont make 'em that I would need a 3 ton unit. I also had a few other companies come out and say the same thing without doing the measurments. It's all greek to me though. All I know is, I want the best system that I can get for $3500 or less. -John-

Not to get into pricing too much, but if what you were quoted was around that price, I'd say you got a good deal. You could go for a 2.5 ton system, but being just slightly oversized by 1/4 ton may help on those really hot and humid days down in Florida. 3 tons for 1200 square feet does sound a bit oversized, but I don't know the insulation, climate, etc. well enough to be certain. Good luck.

Now I feel much better. There so many choices. The sizing issue still has me wondering. I currently have a 3 ton Rheem/Wheather King which cools O.K. but does seem to run all day (my currant Rheem is bottom of the line, so the Trane should be a big step up). The Sears guy was the only one who ran the info into a computer. I did have another guy tell me I could get a 2 1/2 ton. I always thought that bigger is better especially here in South Florida where it's not only hot but humid. I guess this debate has no "concrete" answers. thanks for all the help - John

Just a note of caution here, I've read too many deplorable tales and buyer's remorse about using Sears as the HVAC installer. You might be better served and will probably receive a superior installation by using a small/medium sized HVAC contractor who has a vested interest in performing a superior installation who is more in tune with providing top notch customer service.

John, if you live near the beach, the coils on Trane condesning units are said to be pretty durable for this type of climate.

Quote Originally Posted by johnml View Post
    So, Does this system sound good for me ? The price isnt too excessive.
    I havent heard much about EER numbers only SEER. I guess what i'm trying to ask is this a good system for me in Ft Lauderdale where it's above 80 11 months of the year and summers even worse ? Thanks for all the help, I really do appreciate it. - John
    Yes, the 14 SEER with 12 EER is a good system, plus you are getting a full 3 tons of cooling capacity because of the air handler selection. Some 3-ton Trane combinations put out less than 36,000 btus. On those 100 degree Florida summer days, you'll be happy you got the full 3 tons.

You can still provide the Rheem model numbers for more info if needed.

For your piece of mind, you should consider a PARTS AND LABOR warranty. The warranty offerred with the unit is parts only, no labor.

I'm not going with Sears, I just got a estimate from them (I knew Sears would be way too high) Sears was really pushing the customer satisfaction slogan if I ever needed service. The salesman knew they were overpriced, but wanted me to think local A/C companies would be slow to repair any breakdowns.

I live about two miles from the beach

The Rheem info :

RANL036
    RHAHLL 3617
    (14 SEER, single speed w/puron)

FOOD FOR THOUGH

- Ft Lauderdale FL, only day to reach/exceed 100 degrees since 1839 is August 4th, 1944.

- AVG Max temperatures by month
    76.0 77.3 79.8 82.8 86.0 88.5 89.9 90.3 88.9 85.5 81.1 77.2

- Oversized units = less humidity control and less efficiency even for same SEER rating (units take 4-7 minutes to reach rated efficiency)

- Undersized units = not cool enough but lower costs, higher efficiency and better humidy removal and more comfort on all but the few days the unit can't handle.

- 14 SEER single, double, infinite speed blowers cost about same to run regardless. They are all 14 SEER. The sole purpose of SEER ratings is for comparison/efficiency purposes.

- EER is nice to know but not critical. Efficiencies vary by unit as they move from from rated conditions but not a lot (two different brand 14 SEER units running at 95 F will have minor difference in their EER ratings).

RECOMMENDATION:

- Go with the variable speed blower. FT L. average humidity is around 85% so humidity control is vital to your comfort.

- Ask about a Goodman 15 SEER unit. They have copeland scroll compressors and very good warranties. Price should be similar or maybe less than RHEEM.

- 3 tons for a 1200 SF house seems a bit high based upon a recent study of FL units but an undersized unit is very annoying. If you go with the 2.5 ton unit consider adding insulation and sealing cracks to insure your unit can handle those hot, humid days.

I live in Merritt Island Florida so I understand your quandry.

Hope I have been of help.

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by alex_in_fl View Post
    FOOD FOR THOUGH

- Ft Lauderdale FL, only day to reach/exceed 100 degrees since 1839 is August 4th, 1944.

- AVG Max temperatures by month
    76.0 77.3 79.8 82.8 86.0 88.5 89.9 90.3 88.9 85.5 81.1 77.2

- Oversized units = less humidity control and less efficiency even for same SEER rating (units take 4-7 minutes to reach rated efficiency)

- Undersized units = not cool enough but lower costs, higher efficiency and better humidy removal and more comfort on all but the few days the unit can't handle.

- 14 SEER single, double, infinite speed blowers cost about same to run regardless. They are all 14 SEER. The sole purpose of SEER ratings is for comparison/efficiency purposes.

- EER is nice to know but not critical. Efficiencies vary by unit as they move from from rated conditions but not a lot (two different brand 14 SEER units running at 95 F will have minor difference in their EER ratings).

RECOMMENDATION:

- Go with the variable speed blower. FT L. average humidity is around 85% so humidity control is vital to your comfort.

- Ask about a Goodman 15 SEER unit. They have copeland scroll compressors and very good warranties. Price should be similar or maybe less than RHEEM.

- 3 tons for a 1200 SF house seems a bit high based upon a recent study of FL units but an undersized unit is very annoying. If you go with the 2.5 ton unit consider adding insulation and sealing cracks to insure your unit can handle those hot, humid days.

I live in Merritt Island Florida so I understand your quandry.

Hope I have been of help.

Alex

Those average temps are in the shade. In a perfect world i wouldnt have to work in the sun, and my house would be shaded. I never liked temps. taking in the shade, they should be taking in the full sun.

Got my new Trane variable speed A/C installed today. I have a couple of questions.

1) Exactly how does the variable speed air handler work ? I'm not sure if mine works, it blows very hard and the air handler is loud. It seems it runs in its high gear constantly. It doesnt seem to vary at all.

2) the bedrooms nearest the air handler blow very hard, they almost sound as loud as a window shaker. I tried to close the vents, but that only made it louder. Any ideas ? I asked the tech's who installed it and they suggested that I close the vents, but that didnt work - it only made them louder.

3) Is the fan switch supposed to be on auto like a single speed A/C ? my new variable speed seems to run like the old one - shuts on and off, doesnt seem to run on a lower speed ?

I think i'll have to call them to come back tomorrow. I'm happy with the new system, but it is very loud - When all I heard is the Trane is really quiet ? the new Trane is much louder than my Rheem.

any ideas, suggestions ? Thanks - john

Since your single-speed air conditioner is only running at one speed, so will your air handler. However, when you leave the fan only on, it should not blow as fast. Your installer may be able to adjust the speed at which it runs at. You'll probably want to wait for some input from some pros, though. Do you have any installation pictures? Is it keeping the house comfortable/cool?

It cools fine. I set the fan switch to on position instead of auto, that seems to make it run fast then slow. When it kicks into fast, the room in which closet its installed and the room next to it, the vents really blow hard. Its like each vent has blowers in them. Something has to be done. Even with the vents closed a little they just get louder. When there in high speed, they will blow the window blinds and turn the ceiling fans. It wouldnt bother me if the living room did that, but the bedrooms are just too loud.

Is the fan supposed to be in the fan mode all the time or auto mode ?

I cant understand how this system will save me money this way with the fan runnung all the time ?

Quote Originally Posted by johnml View Post
    It cools fine. I set the fan switch to on position instead of auto, that seems to make it run fast then slow. When it kicks into fast, the room in which closet its installed and the room next to it, the vents really blow hard. Its like each vent has blowers in them. Something has to be done. Even with the vents closed a little they just get louder. When there in high speed, they will blow the window blinds and turn the ceiling fans. It wouldnt bother me if the living room did that, but the bedrooms are just too loud.

Is the fan supposed to be in the fan mode all the time or auto mode ?

I cant understand how this system will save me money this way with the fan runnung all the time ?
    It's up to you whether or not you want to leave the fan running all the time or not, but with a variable speed air handler, it should decrease the speed of the fan. What is the model on the air handler? What thermostat are you using? I think you need to have your contractor back to see for himself what you're experiencing; he should be able to do something about it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast