Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    You should be very happy with Trane equipment... especially in Florida if you're near the beach. Best of luck to you in your decision and new system.

By the way, do you know the model of the Trane outdoor unit? The indoor unit should be 4TEE, and the outdoor unit would be the XR13/14, XL14i, etc.

Ask them for a quote for the 14SEER Rheem R410a and variable speed blower.

Good chance it will be less then the Trane.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

They didnt have a Rheem 14 SEER variable speed w/ puron. They only had :

1) Rheem 14 SEER single speed w/ r410a

2) Rheem 14 SEER variable speed w/ R22

3) Trane 14 SEER variable speed w/ r410a

#1 & #2 are the same price

#3 is $900 more than #1 & #2

They didnt have a Rheem 14 SEER variable speed w/ puron. They only had :

1) Rheem 14 SEER single speed w/ r410a

2) Rheem 14 SEER variable speed w/ R22

3) Trane 14 SEER variable speed w/ r410a

#1 & #2 are the same price

#3 is $900 more than #1 & #2

4) they gave me a quote for a Rheem 17 SEER w/ variable speed and r410a for double the quote for #1 & #2

Hmm, that's strange. Do you have any details on the Trane system (model #'s, etc.)? I suggest you request a Honeywell VisionPRO thermostat to control your system.

Quote Originally Posted by johnml View Post
    Yes, I had ECS come out yesterday, They gave me a proposal for a Rheem 3 ton 14 SEER $1000 more than the proposal I received today (same units). They showed me why my coil was collecting dust and suggested I not clean it again, but replace. I received quotes today from ALL year cooling & heating for a Rheem 14 SEER - same price for a Rheem w/ R410 single speed and a Rheem 14 SEER variable speed, but w/ R22. The price seemed good - They will with the R410 unit, replace the lines and add a air intake (ECS told me my 18"x18" intake got narrow before entering the air handler). My only dilema is : wait until I can get a R410 unit w/ variable speed fan at a lower price or my two choices i posted ? Any thoughts ?

Thanks for your advise. ECS told me to add a 12"x12" intake under my air handler to increase air.but I think by looking at the area below my AH, The coil is probally dirty again, they told me thats where the dust is getting in. Its built w/ fiberglass board instead of plywood, thus allowing dust to seep in. The new proposals include correcting this problem and adding a new air intake also.

I just need to choose one or the other -
    I'm just a HO but 3 tons seems a bit much for a 1200 sf house. I live in metro Atlanta and I have a 4 ton system for a 2400 sf house which works well and the system ran practically non-stop this past summer in 100 degree heat, as it was designed to do and the humidity was kept at a low level.

I would recommend you have a load calculation done before I would finalize the contract.

I beleive I had a load calculation done. Sears came out for a estimate and the guy measured the outside of my house, measured all my windows, spent about 30 minutes taking measurements. He told me I need a 3 ton also. I only had one company come out and tell me I might need only a 2 ton unit. the guy from Sears entered all the measurements into a computer program that said I need a 2.75 ton, but they dont make them, so he recommended a 3 ton.

My main goal is to save $$$ on my bill.
    If this is truly your goal, you need to look at the Energy Efficiency Ratio (EER) for each system that is proposed. The EER is taken at 95 degrees outside air temps which is similar to Florida conditions and is more representative of operating costs than SEER. SEER, for a single-speed fan in the air handler = EER (taken at 82 degrees outside air x fudge factor). SEER, for a variable speed fan in the air handler, is calculated from outside temps including 67,72,77,82,87,92,97, and 102 degrees. The lower temps are weighted much more in the calc than the higher temps. 97 and 102 degrees are almost negligable in the calcs. High SEER ratings do you no good in 100 degree Florida temperatures. EER is what matters to you.

I chose R22 in my 14 SEER heat pump and a fixed speed fan in the air handler. I did this for simplicity and low replacement costs down the road. While the variable speed stuff is nice and hi-tech, you'll spend big $$ to replace them if they fail out of warranty in the future. I am very happy with my decision. It was a personal decision for me that I researched thoroughly. My system is 14 SEER and 12 EER. I would have picked up another SEER point with a variable speed fan, but after researching SEER and seeing that it is just a numbers game, decided against it.

Best to you.

O.K. Heres the system :

4TTR3036 Condenser?

4TEE3F39A Air Handler

3 Ton 14 SEER variable speed AH w/ R410a

Where/How do I find the EER numbers ?

Yes, that's a 3 ton Trane XR13 R410a air conditioner with a 3 ton variable speed air handler. That should be an excellent system, especially because if I'm not mistaken, the 3 ton and 5 ton XR13 units have scroll compressors rather than reciprocating compressors.

O.K. Heres the system :

4TTR3036 Condenser?

4TEE3F39A Air Handler

3 Ton 14 SEER variable speed AH w/ R410a

Where/How do I find the EER numbers ?
    From American Refrigeration Institute (ARI) website:

www.aridirectory.org.

That condensor and air handler combo is 14 SEER, 12 EER, and 36,600 btus (ARI Test# 11040180. Those are solid numbers. I like the fact that it is a 12 EER and a true 3 ton capacity at 36,600 btus.

You can look up your other Rheem system quotes and see how they compare (or post the model #s and I'll look them up for you).

Take care.

Quote Originally Posted by gary_g View Post
    From American Refrigeration Institute (ARI) website:

www.aridirectory.org.

That condensor and air handler combo is 14 SEER, 12 EER, and 36,600 btus (ARI Test# 11040180. Those are solid numbers. I like the fact that it is a 12 EER and a true 3 ton capacity at 36,600 btus.

You can look up your other Rheem system quotes and see how they compare (or post the model #s and I'll look them up for you).

Take care.

So, Does this system sound good for me ? The price isnt too excessive.
    I havent heard much about EER numbers only SEER. I guess what i'm trying to ask is this a good system for me in Ft Lauderdale where it's above 80 11 months of the year and summers even worse ? Thanks for all the help, I really do appreciate it. - John

400 sq ft to the ton sounds over sized to me. But then again, I don't do houses in Ft Lauderdale.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast