Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rheem 14 seer w/ puron vs. Rheem variable r10

Post Likes

Rheem 14 seer w/ puron vs. Rheem variable R22

I received two quotes :

1) Rheem 14 SEER with puron, but single speed

2) Rheem 14 SEER with R22 with a variable speed fan

Both same price, which is better? more effiecent ? Which would the pros's recommend ? PM me for the price.

I want the new puron because i heard it cools quicker and I want the variable speed fan too. I can get one or the other, but for the price i'm paying, I have to pick ? I'm lost, please help. Thanks - John

This is for a 1200 SF house in ft lauderdale, fl where its hot 90% of the year.

Post Likes
    Varaible speed will give more benefit than r410a. r10 does not exist. I assume you mean r22
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Post Likes
    Oops. I meant R22. Would you recommend i get the variable speed w/ R22 instead of the single w/ puron ? I really wanted both, but for the price, its not possible. I heard R22 is being fazed out ? Thanks - John

Post Likes
    Performance and efficiency is not determined by the refrigerant used.

R410a is scheduled to replace R22 in new equipment around 2012 because it has no ozone depletion potential. R22 for existing systems will be available until at least 2020 (new and reclaimed), and it has very low ozone depletion potential. (0.05. Compare that to 1 of R12 and R11)

Provided that proper service procedures are followed and the system does not leak, R22 is just as environmentally friendly as R410A and refrigerant will never need to be added to the system.

The variable speed blower, on the other hand, consumes 1-2 to 1/3rd as much energy as a standard one, and offers dehumidification options. Average SEER increase is in the range of 1 to 2 points

Post Likes
    So, If I understand correctly, I should get the Rheem w/ variable speed fan w/ R22 ? Since the variable speed will actually boost the SEER rating 1-2 points ? Thats the better choice of the two options I listed ? My main goal is to save $$$ on my bill. I was also told that a 14SEER is all I need for my 1200 SF house? I think the quote i received is great. I appreciate the responses, as my knowledge is limited in A/C. Thanks - John

Post Likes
    In your steamy climate, I'd suggest either A/C with variable speed blower. Ask for a Honeywell Vision Pro IAQ thermostat and make sure they hook up the dehumidify on demand feature. That slows the blower if the humidity is above the setpoint for additional moisture suckin' ability. Really slick.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by johnml View Post
    I received two quotes :

1) Rheem 14 SEER with puron, but single speed

2) Rheem 14 SEER with R22 with a variable speed fan

Both same price, which is better? more effiecent ? Which would the pros's recommend ? PM me for the price.

I want the new puron because i heard it cools quicker and I want the variable speed fan too. I can get one or the other, but for the price i'm paying, I have to pick ? I'm lost, please help. Thanks - John

This is for a 1200 SF house in ft lauderdale, fl where its hot 90% of the year.
    I would personally go with Puron and variable speed.

Was I any help with your original post ?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel65 View Post
    I would personally go with Puron and variable speed.

Was I any help with your original post ?
    Yes, I had ECS come out yesterday, They gave me a proposal for a Rheem 3 ton 14 SEER $1000 more than the proposal I received today (same units). They showed me why my coil was collecting dust and suggested I not clean it again, but replace. I received quotes today from ALL year cooling & heating for a Rheem 14 SEER - same price for a Rheem w/ R410 single speed and a Rheem 14 SEER variable speed, but w/ R22. The price seemed good - They will with the R410 unit, replace the lines and add a air intake (ECS told me my 18"x18" intake got narrow before entering the air handler). My only dilema is : wait until I can get a R410 unit w/ variable speed fan at a lower price or my two choices i posted ? Any thoughts ?

Thanks for your advise. ECS told me to add a 12"x12" intake under my air handler to increase air.but I think by looking at the area below my AH, The coil is probally dirty again, they told me thats where the dust is getting in. Its built w/ fiberglass board instead of plywood, thus allowing dust to seep in. The new proposals include correcting this problem and adding a new air intake also.

I just need to choose one or the other -

Post Likes
    If you cannot wait, then you should go with the R22 with variable speed, you gain energy savings with the variable speed also humidity control. Ask for the T-stat that Bald-loonie posted here, you will not be disapointed

R22 is being phased out but it will not concern your new unit purchase, it will be readily available for many years to come.

Make sure they deal with your plenum issue. Just FYI the plenum should be lined with fibreglass no matter what the box is made of.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel65 View Post
    If you cannot wait, then you should go with the R22 with variable speed, you gain energy savings with the variable speed also humidity control. Ask for the T-stat that Bald-loonie posted here, you will not be disapointed

R22 is being phased out but it will not concern your new unit purchase, it will be readily available for many years to come.

Make sure they deal with your plenum issue. Just FYI the plenum should be lined with fibreglass no matter what the box is made of.
    They actually called me back and told me for $900 more, I could get a Trane 14 SEER w/ puron and a variable speed. With the info Im getting here that might be the answer, Although it does cost more. Thanks for the expert advise. - John

I just installed a consumer reports rated best buy thermastat - A touch screen LUX - Do you think I should replace it with the honeywell ? Im not even sure if the Trane has that option ? I'm trying to get the variable speed w/ puron cheap... I will ask though. Im going to ask for a new proposal monday for the Trane and see exactly what it includes.

Forgive another stupid question : The plenum issue is the area beneath my air handler ? If so, they are going to build it with plywood and im pretty sure they said they will use the fiber glass board (plenim?) too.

Post Likes
    Anybody rcommend a Trane over a Rheem ? I'm not sure of the specifics, as I was quoted over the phone (after I realized the Rheem didnt have a variable speed AH w/ puron) (14 SEER) I will call tomorrow to get the fine print though. Im not sure if the Rheem single w/ puron Vs. the Trane variable speed w/ puron for $900 more is worth it ?

Post Likes
    Yes, it would be worth it in my opinion. It is variable speed with Puron and brings the reliability and durability of Trane. I'm not saying a Rheem/Ruud wouldn't be reliable or durable either, but you did not receieve a quote for a Puron system with a variable speed air handler. I'd try to see if you can have that contractor come out and give you a quote in writing. Do you know the model of the condensor? I would recommend a Trane in just about any situation.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the info - I received a quote for a Rheem 14 SEER w/ puron (3 ton) The guy told me it was a variable speed, but when I called to confirm, they told me it was a single speed. I told him I really wanted a effiecent model w/ variable speed and since puron was the new standard, I prefered puron. They told me I could get a Rheem 17 SEER w/ variable and puron but the cost was double. They told me of the Trane 14 SEER w/puron and variable for $900 more than the original quote for the reguler Rheem. From what I gathered on this site, the variable speed is the way to go. the puron is a toss up, but the Trane has it, so that looks like the way i'm gonna go. Thanks - John

Post Likes
    You should be very happy with Trane equipment... especially in Florida if you're near the beach. Best of luck to you in your decision and new system.

By the way, do you know the model of the Trane outdoor unit? The indoor unit should be 4TEE, and the outdoor unit would be the XR13/14, XL14i, etc.

Post Likes
    Ask them for a quote for the 14SEER Rheem R410a and variable speed blower.

Good chance it will be less then the Trane.

Post Likes
    They didnt have a Rheem 14 SEER variable speed w/ puron. They only had :

1) Rheem 14 SEER single speed w/ r410a

2) Rheem 14 SEER variable speed w/ R22

3) Trane 14 SEER variable speed w/ r410a

#1 & #2 are the same price

#3 is $900 more than #1 & #2

Post Likes
    They didnt have a Rheem 14 SEER variable speed w/ puron. They only had :

1) Rheem 14 SEER single speed w/ r410a

2) Rheem 14 SEER variable speed w/ R22

3) Trane 14 SEER variable speed w/ r410a

#1 & #2 are the same price

#3 is $900 more than #1 & #2

4) they gave me a quote for a Rheem 17 SEER w/ variable speed and r410a for double the quote for #1 & #2

Post Likes
    Hmm, that's strange. Do you have any details on the Trane system (model #'s, etc.)? I suggest you request a Honeywell VisionPRO thermostat to control your system.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by johnml View Post
    Yes, I had ECS come out yesterday, They gave me a proposal for a Rheem 3 ton 14 SEER $1000 more than the proposal I received today (same units). They showed me why my coil was collecting dust and suggested I not clean it again, but replace. I received quotes today from ALL year cooling & heating for a Rheem 14 SEER - same price for a Rheem w/ R410 single speed and a Rheem 14 SEER variable speed, but w/ R22. The price seemed good - They will with the R410 unit, replace the lines and add a air intake (ECS told me my 18"x18" intake got narrow before entering the air handler). My only dilema is : wait until I can get a R410 unit w/ variable speed fan at a lower price or my two choices i posted ? Any thoughts ?

Thanks for your advise. ECS told me to add a 12"x12" intake under my air handler to increase air.but I think by looking at the area below my AH, The coil is probally dirty again, they told me thats where the dust is getting in. Its built w/ fiberglass board instead of plywood, thus allowing dust to seep in. The new proposals include correcting this problem and adding a new air intake also.

I just need to choose one or the other -
    I'm just a HO but 3 tons seems a bit much for a 1200 sf house. I live in metro Atlanta and I have a 4 ton system for a 2400 sf house which works well and the system ran practically non-stop this past summer in 100 degree heat, as it was designed to do and the humidity was kept at a low level.

I would recommend you have a load calculation done before I would finalize the contract.

Post Likes
    I beleive I had a load calculation done. Sears came out for a estimate and the guy measured the outside of my house, measured all my windows, spent about 30 minutes taking measurements. He told me I need a 3 ton also. I only had one company come out and tell me I might need only a 2 ton unit. the guy from Sears entered all the measurements into a computer program that said I need a 2.75 ton, but they dont make them, so he recommended a 3 ton.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in