Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada Occupation:Interprovincial Plumber, Commercial Gasfitter Interests:
    Quote Originally Posted by newbeetech View Post
    no affance RICH , but this is a site is for new guy's that want to learn the trade the least we could do is help them out as much as we can ,but some are so selfish on passing on the trade to new tech, infact i still remember the techs that broke me in , i'll tell if i could see them today , i would give them a piece of my mind.
    But the problem is you have NO idea who madcity is. He says he is taking an HVAC course and is working at Burger King. Telling him how to set a gas reg and valve on a deep fryer when he doesn't know how, is worse than telling a HO how to wire a stat.

I don't have an issue with passing on info in the pro section when I have a bit of an idea who I'm talking to. But you need to use a little common sense when talking to newcomers. And no, he didn't get flamed.

Somebody could get seriously injured with this fryer. The smartest techs I know are the ones that know when they are in over their heads.

And I do agree with you that new techs need to be helped out and shown how and WHY things are done.
    I love my job, but paydays Thursday

Stay on 'em Rich! These guys think we are tryng to keep the "secret". Problem is... 'A little knowledge is dangerous, no knowledge is dynamite!' One must gain experience & this only happens by watching, doing, & asking questions. New techs NEED a mentor for a "walkthru" on systems they are not familiar with. Even experienced techs bang their fingers & lose some hair now & then, but seldom create a condition that puts people/property in danger. Safety first! Then deal with the problem.
    In this situation, an experienced gas tech is required.
    Moose -36 yrs- gas/oil/plumbing

Two things happened when I read this thread First I thought good initiative from a new tech and then all the little hairs on the back of my neck went up.

1 Call frymaster First b4 you do anything else

2 Propane is not NG, heavier,
    pools on floor or lower area of unit.

3 make sure you're not mixing NG & LP parts up

4 if you didn't have a soot problem b4 you do now

5 don't be so cocksure' you still have your eyebrows and nose hair

6 be aware, that what you're doing affects Others....

Quote Originally Posted by ezone View Post
    Two things happened when I read this thread First I thought good initiative from a new tech and then all the little hairs on the back of my neck went up.

1 Call frymaster First b4 you do anything else

2 Propane is not NG, heavier,
    pools on floor or lower area of unit.

3 make sure you're not mixing NG & LP parts up

4 if you didn't have a soot problem b4 you do now

5 don't be so cocksure' you still have your eyebrows and nose hair

6 be aware, that what you're doing affects Others....
    Yes, I already knew the different beweetn LP & NG in the first place, but the only part I try replacing was the Reg on the gas value which Is LP, it didn't help much. Hey Rich, I knew how to set a damn Reg in the first place and was watching the damn pressure on the gague. There no Reg in the building to adjust, the only other Reg is outside which we can't touch anyway. The other three fryers are working correctly (correct pressure). You are right about one thing rich, you don't know who I am and I ain't as dumb as you think I am. Oh ya, how much a fry pot costs us? Nothing since we have warranty on that part because I have replaced those before. I think we already had soot problems in the first place, that why I was trying to fix it, but the flames looks good itself (blue, with little orange tips). Anyway I have not even been on this site for a week or so because of all the bull*** here

Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, Canada Occupation:Interprovincial Plumber, Commercial Gasfitter Interests:
    Glad to see you back.

1. from your other posts, the only thing I know is you didn't know how to set a reg. Go back and read your post.

2. I don't think you are dumb, lack of experience is closer to reality.

3. You said you were adjusting a reg, not the valve.

4. If you change pots, you have my sympathy. I HATE doing that.

5. No bs in this thread, just advice.

6. If you worked in the shop I work in, you and I would have had a LONG discusion. Actually, I probably would have done most of the talking.

Having flames shoot up in front of you and losing some hair is a good rush. Been there, done that.

Once again, stick around, this place can get interesting and sometimes informative. This part of the site is probably the tamest.

And most of the regulars are decent guys.

Quote Originally Posted by rich pickering View Post
    Glad to see you back.

1. from your other posts, the only thing I know is you didn't know how to set a reg. Go back and read your post.

2. I don't think you are dumb, lack of experience is closer to reality.

3. You said you were adjusting a reg, not the valve.

4. If you change pots, you have my sympathy. I HATE doing that.

5. No bs in this thread, just advice.

6. If you worked in the shop I work in, you and I would have had a LONG discusion. Actually, I probably would have done most of the talking.

Having flames shoot up in front of you and losing some hair is a good rush. Been there, done that.

Once again, stick around, this place can get interesting and sometimes informative. This part of the site is probably the tamest.

And most of the regulars are decent guys.
    Well I read my first post and I did say soemthing about a gas reg on a gas value on the second line. So I mean the reg on the gas value if that better. There no way to repair the reg inside the gas value, so I would have to replace that if that was the problem, I going to try cleaning the orfices and check to see if the targets are in the right place and make sure they ain't missing. Yes, I had to replaced two pots so far in the same store since they like to get them a little too hot while in the melt cycle. Um.. We can still have that long talk if you want to come in USA and teach me while you here The frymaster in Dobson was shooting flame out of the burner and I didn't know it when I sticked my head on the floor to see what was going on and boom! I screamed like a girl and everyone was laughing That the fryer I could not fixed at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by madcitysw View Post
    The frymaster in Dobson was shooting flame out of the burner and I didn't know it when I sticked my head on the floor to see what was going on and boom! I screamed like a girl and everyone was laughing

Life Lesson #356 - Never stick your face in an appliance if you don't know how it lights.

p.s. most life lessons are learned the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by rich pickering View Post
    Life Lesson #356 - Never stick your face in an appliance if you don't know how it lights.

p.s. most life lessons are learned the hard way.

Yep, most lessons are learned the hard way for sure. Just how many life lessons are there anyway? I know one of them is don't scream like a girl in front of everyone

Lots.

I tried to re-light a direct vent stove shortly after it had gone out.
    Problem was it had an old Robertshaw valve that continued to allow the propane to fill the firebox as I pressed the ignitor to try to re-light the pilot.
    Click.
    Click.

Click.
    BOOM!!!!!!

I can still hear the ringing in my ears.
    Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Collin View Post
    I tried to re-light a direct vent stove shortly after it had gone out.
    Problem was it had an old Robertshaw valve that continued to allow the propane to fill the firebox as I pressed the ignitor to try to re-light the pilot.
    Click.
    Click.

Click.
    BOOM!!!!!!

I can still hear the ringing in my ears.

Yea, I think they had those values on recalled didn't they? Was everyone ok after the big bang?

Everything was fine, except for my pride.

Main point is we all make mistakes, but propane can really make you pay.
    We ALL need to be careful around gas.
    Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

What is your job with Burger King? Were you hired as a maintenance technician? Since you are still in school, why not run this past your instructors and see what they have to tell you. You have received some sound advice. You learn a lot more in life by keeping quiet and listening to others. I've been doing this work for over 35 years and I still run into stuff I've never worked on. I don't have any problem asking for assistance and input from others more qualified in a specific area or on some equipment I am unfamiliar with. Stick around and develope a thicker skin. As long as you are in this trade, you will get friendly ribbing from you peers, but at the same time, if you lose your arrogance, you'll also get massive amounts of advice and assistance when you need it.

Quote Originally Posted by madcitysw View Post
    Yea, I think they had those values on recalled didn't they? Was everyone ok after the big bang?
    He shrunk a couple of inches.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast