Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Why dont some like JCI?

Sometimes I think it has to do with how they were treating some of their clients. Some of my clients love their JCI systems and some don't, mostly because the customer service was less then expected.

In clients where the owners staff wasn't very versed on using the JCI stuff, I found a high level of dissatisfaction because they got billed for every little
    change the system needed and the JCI techs would not help the building operators learn the system. I think some of the poor customer feelings were self inflicted. Turning over the controls of a 20 story building with a JCI ddc system to a "day porter made chief engineer" is a disaster to any controls vendor.

I actually hope JCI never changes, it makes my job of selling other brands of controls with better customer service and easier end user interfaces much easier. Let JCI buy the big market projects they want anyway. Those deals are usually not made about quality, they are made totally about bucks.

Anyway, hats off to any controls company that can sell billions of dollars of controls, they gotta be doing something right???????????????????????
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit" Aristotle

Remember to "Pay it Forward"; help out the newer generation of techs, remember someone during our career helped us! ("Pay it Forward" was by someone smarter than me!!)

Dracula,

Well said.

I'll second the operators don't help matters. I was doing some training recently, customer complained thoughout the whole project. Some reps thought they were being screwed, job was taking longer than expected because of sequence changes/added work. As if major changes take 5minutes. It's a pretty heavy on network level control. The operators decided they had enough training after 3 hours, and said it's like our old system. I expect a major headache in a few weeks when they don't understand what the system is doing. It'll be the control contractors fault somehow and the "system is to difficult to use" from the operators. Anyone else run into that?

JCI is so big that operations in one branch can be completely diffrent than one right next to it. I guess keep an open mind, it's intresting to see the JCI beating that goes on here lol.

Quote Originally Posted by dracula View Post
    Sometimes I think it has to do with how they were treating some of their clients. Some of my clients love their JCI systems and some don't, mostly because the customer service was less then expected.

In clients where the owners staff wasn't very versed on using the JCI stuff, I found a high level of dissatisfaction because they got billed for every little
    change the system needed and the JCI techs would not help the building operators learn the system. I think some of the poor customer feelings were self inflicted. Turning over the controls of a 20 story building with a JCI ddc system to a "day porter made chief engineer" is a disaster to any controls vendor.

I actually hope JCI never changes, it makes my job of selling other brands of controls with better customer service and easier end user interfaces much easier. Let JCI buy the big market projects they want anyway. Those deals are usually not made about quality, they are made totally about bucks.

Anyway, hats off to any controls company that can sell billions of dollars of controls, they gotta be doing something right???????????????????????
    "Yeah I can figure out whats wrong with it, but you were here first and there isn't room for two, plus it's cold up here, I'll be in the van"

Different JCI offices with different quality?

You hit a very good point on the nose. My clients in northern California were the ones that for the most part, up until recently, were very well taken care of and happy with the JCI product and service. In southern California, the factory serviced JCI clients were in the tear it out mode, while the Johnson Controls Authorized suppliers were doing a good job. Seemed that in southern California the only JCI new jobs going in were where there wasn't anyone on the end user level who even knew what DDC controls were.

I have worked for a long time with JCI ddc hardware and the accessories, and it has been for the most part decent stuff. Once set up correctly, it just keeps working.

I have had clients building engineers at the startup of one of my projects very pissed off that they got DDC controls in their 1950's building, yet after training them and getting them to believe that if they became good with the system, they would be more valuable to the management, they loved the darn system. Now 15 years later I try to tell them that the stuff is worn out, they are hesitant to modernize, because it still works good. Now I have to teach them that there is real life limits on printed circuit boards, and it is time to get a new warm blanket and throw out the old one, before it bites them hard.

The only real issue that I have seen manufactures like JCI do poorly is create an incentive plan that makes cost cutting the number one project goal rather than quality with reasonable profit. Greed is the fastest way to loose a client and get a bad reputation.

Remember when Micheal Douglas said "greed is good", well they should stop showing that movie in Milwaukee, or where ever the heck JCI is from.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit" Aristotle

Remember to "Pay it Forward"; help out the newer generation of techs, remember someone during our career helped us! ("Pay it Forward" was by someone smarter than me!!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12