2 Stage System Question

My 2 different Carrier quotes states I would have a 2 stage HP and Furnace Backup. They said they wouldnt have to modify my ductwork.

Same with the Trane quote.

My Goodman quote is for an A/C and 2 stage furnace. They claim they would have to modify my whole duct system to be able to use the 2 stage furnace.

Whos right and whos wrong? Or do the systems work differently allowing no duct work to be done on the higher system? Or does the Goodman installer not know what hes talking about?

Hmm

holly cow those are two complete different systems
    I dont even know if goodman makes a two stage heat pump

No they dont. A two stage Furnace. Are they correct?

Hmm

Heat pumps need more airflow to work properly and these new veriable speed blower motors require more duct room to operate Energy saving HVAC equipment cannot be slapped in there.

You need a contractor to test your ducts static pressure to know if your duct system is sized right.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

If your replacing your gas furance with the same size then NO your duct work should be right. train and carrier contractors are right. any tech can buy a goodman be we can't buy Train or Carrier only contractors. think about.

Unhappy

one of the reasons for the veriable speed fans is to move needed air quietly

older gas heating/ airconditioning systems normaly have duct work smaller than duct work required for heat pumps

When you install the heatpump with the older smaller ductwork when the blower starts it will sound like a jet plane

Bring your concerns to the attention of the Trane and Carrier contractors, see what they say.
    Contractor locator map

Well last year I had new return ran and new supply to the part of the home that wasnt heating, cooling well to try and fix it. Also had a new box (large box where the filter goes) built. Dont know the correct name for it, but you know what Im talking about. Its just weird both carrier contractors said it was fine for their systems and the goodman cont. said it wouldnt work for 2 stage but for single it would be great. They would be putting in a 90k furnace from a 130k furnace. Downsizing. The heat side of things works ok, but I wanted to put everything in new instead of only an AC since its older.

So my ducts ARE good.

Hmm

I am sure most all your two stage heat units are going to be veriable speed now. I think I would drop the option of two stage cooling an maybe install two systems now that you have two return and supply ducts

Many contractors are confused about 2 stage units. They worry the rooms that weren't getting enough air, will get worse.

The carrier guys are probaly right about your duct system.
    They should still test it first.
    Contractor locator map