Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Hmm Heard that!

Quote Originally Posted by slahac View Post
    Good point. gazpan. Compressor terminals can blow out and make a hell of a noise. Sounds like a jet taking off. That would also shred the compressor insulation.Maybe there is more than one thing going on
    Heard a scroll blow when a start assist cap was wired wrong. The thing blew out the bottom of the shell. Seen another after it blew out the terminals (recip) The hack used the green weenie (r22) until he had no more. He said he couldn't get it to start, thinking it was low on charge. His helper said the hack hugged & prayed over the unit and then it finally started! Ran for almost 2 days before I got the emergency call at 7 at night. HO said it was LOUD! The blanket was shredded to pieces, oil everywhere. That was unit w/o accumilator/receiver. Dynamite is only other logical conclusion!

Maybe that rusted accumulator was leaking too much refrigerant so a contractor or HO replaced it with one of the so called "drop in replacements" that contain butane, propane or any of the other "panes" that like to go boom.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Amazed

How can you wire a hardstart wrong? You would really have to be trying hard to screw up. But then we all know how helpers lie.
    Coastal a/c is where it's at. A few years and it's time for a new condensor. Job security. What about the anodized gold colored condensors? Do they last any longer I wonder?
    I doubt it, but then I doubt most marketing hype.

Quote Originally Posted by slahac View Post
    How can you wire a hardstart wrong? You would really have to be trying hard to screw up. But then we all know how helpers lie.
    Coastal a/c is where it's at. A few years and it's time for a new condensor. Job security. What about the anodized gold colored condensors? Do they last any longer I wonder?
    I doubt it, but then I doubt most marketing hype.
    Using Heat Pumps:

Carrier Coastal units, 7 to 9 rears. Lennox, Trane, American Standard, 7 to 9 years. (All ocean front).

Goodman, 3 to 5 years ocean front.

ICP, 1 to 3 years ocean front. I saw a Heil go in 7 months. Fins were GONE, nothing but copper left of the coil. Replaced the unit with another Heil, a year later it was the same way. Replaced that in the same location with a Trane, it went 9 years.

I did see a Goodman go 13 years ocean front, the lady that owned it rinsed the condensor witha hose every week. Seems like rinsing them off with water on a regular basis is a good idea.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

you are absolutely correct, rinsing the condenser with fresh water does buy you some time. A light chem. cleaning every six months works very well too. The problem that people on the coast are faced with is the newer equipment is made different. The fins are made thinner and they are spaced much closer together for increase efficiency. Well that is what I have observed anyway.

Did you use a little dynamite napoleon?I couldn't resist
    Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it.

Beautiful, Philadelphia, the City of Brotherly Love!

Did you see any guys riding camels in the area?

Any body know why Carrier has been using these suction acumulators for years? These babies are the number one leak I find on Carrier units. I have removed a few of these accumulators on older junkers, the units are still operating to this day.

This is a first, I see compressor terminals blow out all the time, but nothing like this.

I can just imagine the cloud of oil, well there goes the ozone layer.

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why we do not give out repair info to DIY'ers on this site.

Accumulator

Quote Originally Posted by AtticAce View Post
    Any body know why Carrier has been using these suction acumulators for years? These babies are the number one leak I find on Carrier units. I have removed a few of these accumulators on older junkers, the units are still operating to this day.

This is a first, I see compressor terminals blow out all the time, but nothing like this.

I can just imagine the cloud of oil, well there goes the ozone layer.
    A couple of good points here. The accumulator is in place to protect the compressor from liquid refrigerant during the H/P heat cycle. Thats why S/C systems don't have one. It also comes in handy when quick charging during times of stress. I was taught that liquid refrigerant will damage the valves on a reciprocating compressor, and I have guinie pigged compressors with liquid R-22 in the past, and they make a funky sound that doesn't sound too healthy. Refrigerant cooling systems when stripped down are fairly simple. Coils, fans, a compressor, a piston, connecting tubing and a temp controlled on/off switch. My brother has an old side discharge Singer condensor on a rental property that's got to be 30 years old and still running strong. This is not unusual for this design. What's up with that? No way newer systems get anything close. I guess Volkwagon stopped manufacturing the original bug for similar reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Atticmonkey777 View Post
    And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why we do not give out repair info to DIY'ers on this site.
    Are you referring to the customer that has the carrier equipment, or are you speaking in general?

i was told from an old tymer that when he was in texas auto shops were filling car a/c's with propane boy what fun that would be to see a hood fly off in a intersection with a large fireball coming from under it.

Quote Originally Posted by Protech81 View Post
    i was told from an old tymer that when he was in texas auto shops were filling car a/c's with propane boy what fun that would be to see a hood fly off in a intersection with a large fireball coming from under it.
    Sounds like another urban legend. Why would propane explode in a sealed system with no oxygen present? And why would an auto shop want the warranty liability?
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Urban myth

I don't know about the auto industry, but hvac contractors I have done work for have solid steel cajones when it comes to warranty work they are responsible for. This would be a good experiment for Mythbusters

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast