Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Event

Looks like the accumulator ruptured due to rust, and spun around. There would likely be liquid refrigerant present. The noise could be the sound of the accumulator whacking against the cabinet as it turned, like a playing card in bicycle spokes. Ask the earwitness if it was one short blast, or sustained. Never saw anything like it.

it could have been a crank case heater that blew

Slick Willis, Twilli wears this when working on carriers

http://www.global-security-solutions.com/BombSuit.htm
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

That's one you want to see AFTER it happens for sure!

Make sure if you find out any further info that you share it with the rest of us.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Looks like the accumulator corroded through from the outside and let go, BIG TIME!

Quote Originally Posted by napoleon-dynomite View Post
    I had never seen anything like it before. Maybe somebody else has. The thing that gets me is the system was off, customer wasn't home and the neighbors said that it sounded like a bomb had exploded causing the fire department to be dispatched. R-22 system, ambient was about 80 deg. F

Attachment 4130

Attachment 4131

Attachment 4132

Attachment 4133

Attachment 4134

Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post

Twilli has one of them suits.Twilli use to defuse Bombs.

I work in a coastal area also and have seen accumulators rusted way more than that one, Ive changed countless ones due to corrosion leaks, I have never seen anything remotely close to what happened there, more going on there than just rust

hey guys just joined yr chat
    what exactaly blew up here the compressor or suction accumalator

ok guys just seen the photos yr right ive never seen anything like it
    i had a 410a compressor blew its terminals out as i was sat next to it and that was scary

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post

LOL thanks for the laugh
    Larger Duct, Larger Duct, More Air, More Air
    READ THE MANUAL
    What if I train them and they leave?
    What if you Don't train them and they Stay!
    DSG member

I'd bet that some one put too much juice in there wayy too much juice I would say it hydrostaticed and blew off the weakest point - the rusted bottom ( if it had rused through you would see oil staining)

to boom loud enough for the fire dept to be called it would have to fail catrostropicly thus thats why I feel it was hyrdostaticly ruptured

I bet refrigerant had been accumulating during the cold nights and collecting in the accumulator and the compressor to the point of hydrostatic expansion.
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Event

Good point. gazpan. Compressor terminals can blow out and make a hell of a noise. Sounds like a jet taking off. That would also shred the compressor insulation.Maybe there is more than one thing going on

Quote Originally Posted by Swampfox View Post
    I work in a coastal area also and have seen accumulators rusted way more than that one, Ive changed countless ones due to corrosion leaks, I have never seen anything remotely close to what happened there, more going on there than just rust
    I'll tell you what, equipment on the coast is subjected to excessive moisture and salt air which destroys equipment quickly. I've seen the fins on a Carrier condensing unit installed on the coast one year after it had been installed completely corrode and fall apart leaving only the copper tubing. These conditions will eat up copper too, just give it a little bit more time. Usually the system will be replaced before the copper will be eaten due to compressor failure.

By the way, yes, there is rust present like I said before, but I have seen units that are really weathered and rusty. Those units don't blow up, come to think of it, most systems that are not installed correctly have a hard time keeping the refrigerant from leaking out.

The customer stated that the system appeared to function with no problems prior to the unit exploding. That is why I am having a hard time thinking there was anything wrong with the install.

Lots-of-junk, you said "Although, that receiver looks kind of skimpy on metal thickness."

That is what I am thinking myself.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast