Confused JCI / DX9100 / XP-9103 Problem

Hi,

In an old school building there is a JCI installation for the heating system. It contains 2 boilers and about 20 pumps and valves distributes over 3 DX9100's.

The school will be dismantled over about 1 year. In the meantime there are some inhabitants to protect the building. ('Anti kraak' in Dutch)

One of the XP-9103 which is responsible to turn the boilers on/off and the main pumps does not work anymore. An engineer had turned the boilers and pumps in manual operation and that is very energy consuming. The boilers allways keep the system on 70 degrees C, even at night and when it is warm enough outside. In the summer the whole system was turned off, to save costs, but now they turned it on for the winter.

I've tried to replace the XP-9103 with an (working) identical one but it still does not work. I could try to replace the XT-9100, but before i do this i want to know if there could be something else wrong.

On the XT-9100 (which the XP-9103 is connected to) is an fuse. Is it posible that if this one is broken the XP-9103 does not work? Or is it posible the XP-9102 which is between the XT-9100 and the XP-9103 is broken so it does not transmit signals to the XP-9103?

The owner does not want to invest into the system/building anymore, but if i can fix this it will save them a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by LauPro View Post
    Hi,

In an old school building there is a JCI installation for the heating system. It contains 2 boilers and about 20 pumps and valves distributes over 3 DX9100's.

The school will be dismantled over about 1 year. In the meantime there are some inhabitants to protect the building. ('Anti kraak' in Dutch)

One of the XP-9103 which is responsible to turn the boilers on/off and the main pumps does not work anymore. An engineer had turned the boilers and pumps in manual operation and that is very energy consuming. The boilers allways keep the system on 70 degrees C, even at night and when it is warm enough outside. In the summer the whole system was turned off, to save costs, but now they turned it on for the winter.

I've tried to replace the XP-9103 with an (working) identical one but it still does not work. I could try to replace the XT-9100, but before i do this i want to know if there could be something else wrong.

On the XT-9100 (which the XP-9103 is connected to) is an fuse. Is it posible that if this one is broken the XP-9103 does not work? Or is it posible the XP-9102 which is between the XT-9100 and the XP-9103 is broken so it does not transmit signals to the XP-9103?

The owner does not want to invest into the system/building anymore, but if i can fix this it will save them a lot of money.
    What do you mean when you say the xp9103 does not work? Power, programming, what

When i check the outputs in the DX9100 port 1-4 should be on (XT 2: port 21 to 25). But the leds on the XP-9103 are off. The wirering isn't changed but my multi meter is broken so i can't check it.

I found out the Power led is blinking on the XT-9100, maybe this means something bad?

the power light blinking 1 time a second is a communications error, two times a second there is comm with the DX but a config error. that could mean more than one thing. Start here;
    assuming you have GX software follow the below. If you don't have the software or a meter it's time to call JCI or a contractor that can service JCI. Nothing is free and fixing this, no matter whom, will be cheaper than running pumps/boilers 24/7. The building owner must be crazy.

Blinking 1 time a second;
    1. upload the controller, verify correct XP types are defined. Your AI mod and the DO mod. Make sure there are no other XTs. Vefiy the addresses for your XTs.
    2. download the DX/XT/XTM. It'll probably say comm failure if you didn't find any of the above incorrect.
    4. verify the bus connection from the DX to the XP, wiring isn't broken-open, connector fits tight.
    6. try the download again- if it fails the XT is likely failed.

Blinking 2 times a second
    1. upload the controller, verify correct XP types are defined. Your AI mod and the DO mod. Make sure there are no other XTs. Vefiy the addresses for your XTs.
    2. verify 24v to all mods
    3. verify the black jumpers between the mods are tight and in the correct way, they are keyed but if you try hard enough they can be pushed on incorrectly
    4. download the DX/XT/XTM.
    5. If that fails; save your DX program, delete the XP mods, add only the 8 DO.(since you removed it from a working controller) define the address, REMOVE the AI mod physically, use the new black jumper thats already on the 8 DO, don't use the one already on the XP. Download. If that fails, the XT comm Mod is likely failed.
    "Yeah I can figure out whats wrong with it, but you were here first and there isn't room for two, plus it's cold up here, I'll be in the van"

Thanks for your information.

The Power LED does is only lit when there is traffic on the BUS. When i disconnect the XT-9100 from the bus it does not lit at all.

I don't have any programming stuff, but i can try to contact the contractor. Because they did replace some parts a couple of weeks ago, but this probleem still exists. But i don't think they are going after this one, because they don't want to make extra costs (as in: extra parts, service). So if i can fix this easily that will be fine. I have the software of the system on a disk btw.

And yes, this is allmost crazy because the boiler fires up every 10 minutes now. The second boiler has an error and is out of service atm.

Confused

No light at all... that's...new... I'll get back to you tomorrow. I'll be in front of a DX so I can simulate. I'm faily certain the light should be on no matter what as long as the XT has power. I'll also pull the fuse. I've never had a fuse blow though so I'm not sure what happens. If you shoot me an IM at wireguy06 i'll shoot you the e-mail if you want to send me the program and I'll look at it for you. Sounding more like your XT.

Quote Originally Posted by LauPro View Post
    Thanks for your information.

The Power LED does is only lit when there is traffic on the BUS. When i disconnect the XT-9100 from the bus it does not lit at all.

I don't have any programming stuff, but i can try to contact the contractor. Because they did replace some parts a couple of weeks ago, but this probleem still exists. But i don't think they are going after this one, because they don't want to make extra costs (as in: extra parts, service). So if i can fix this easily that will be fine. I have the software of the system on a disk btw.

And yes, this is allmost crazy because the boiler fires up every 10 minutes now. The second boiler has an error and is out of service atm.
    "Yeah I can figure out whats wrong with it, but you were here first and there isn't room for two, plus it's cold up here, I'll be in the van"

I can't simulate what your seeing. I disconnect the XT bus and light blinks as it should, reconnect it lights back up. Pull power off everything goes dark, put power back normal, pull the fuse everything dark. Order yourself a new XT. Anyone chime in here if I'm missing something. You'll also have to have someone download it once you get the new part.

Sorry, what i said was not correct. When i disconnect the BUS the power led just blinks as you said.

This looks like an configuration error. I've found a contact who has tools to reprogram it, when i have the stuff i'll post the progression here.