Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused new heat pump with pressure problems

I just installed a rheem 3 ton 410a heat pump. The system worked for 2 weeks until friday i got a call that it wasn't running. Suction pressure was reading 60 psi and discharge was 240psi with out side ambient 70 degrees fahrenheit. I added refrigerant and check for a leak with soap bubbles, but couldn't find one. when i switched the unit to heating mode it tripped out on high head pressure almost instantly. I recoverd the refrigerant and found that the system was overcharged due to me adding some, replaced the filterdrier pressure tested with nitrogen, evacuated overnight and then weighed in my charge. the system comes factory charged at 9lbs, i wieghed in 8 lbs and then continued to try to chage the system with super heat/subcool. there wasnt any change in the system in cooling mode. in heating i am not tripping out on high head, probably because i have the proper charge in now. My current conditions in cooling are, 240 psi discharge, 50psi suction, my evap starts to freeze at the txv, suction line temp is 72.6 degrees at the service valve, dicharge temp at service valve is 76 degrees,low compressor amps. I also notice that the equalization tube on the outdoor txv freezes during cooling. in heating mode my pressures are both high discharge is 460 and suction is 140. does this sound like atxv problem?

no info I suggest you apply for pro status

I have a good idea what the problem is and you are no where near it

I don't know if your a DIY or not at this point

call your supplier for help or apply for pro status
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

pro status

thank you for your reply. last night was my first time visiting the sight. I have only been in the field for 3 years so I don't know if I will be eligible for pro status. could you by chance tell me how to apply.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

need help

I will not be able to get approved for pro status in time to fix the problem. I do have an associates degree at thaddeus stevens college of technology in hvac-r, followed by 3 years experience in the field. My reversing valve seems to be operating properly,air flow across the evaporator is good. I would greatly appreciate help with this.

update

I called the supplier this morning and found that they have had problems with the txv in this unit. I am waiting for a call back from the manufacturer, and i was wondering if anybody else had any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by beo1 View Post
    thank you for your reply. last night was my first time visiting the sight. I have only been in the field for 3 years so I don't know if I will be eligible for pro status. could you by chance tell me how to apply.

HAng around stay the course obtain pro status - there are many pro forums here and you will get the right help you need

the only other hint is to check your air side - if you have had training you will know what that means
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

So you went to stevens.

My e mail addy is in my profile.

E mail me.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

will do

[QUOTE=The Penguin;1643407]HAng around stay the course obtain pro status - there are many pro forums here and you will get the right help you need

the only other hint is to check your air side - if you have had training you will know what that means[/QUOTE

15 degree delta t across evep, brand new clean coil, fresh filter, i am getting the full 1200 cfm. just for grins and giggles i lowered th fan speed and had no significant change. with low pressures I am thinking restriction in the outdoor unit. thanks again i will apply for the pro status when i get the proper amount of quotes out there.

sounds like you have wrong evap- coil

I have a newer Rheem 3T HP and am having similar problems.

Today, a Rheem contractor came for a seasonal check-up and the tripping issue with the outdoor unit. He stated that the evap coil is to large.

The air handler is a BHK-21J11NHE. the "E" would make the coil a RCHJ-36A2.

Dunno what that means as it is compared to the outdoor unit which is a RPPB-036JAZ. I would like to know what evap coil I should have.

Don't mean to highjack this thread but I am having similar problems.

regis, your indoor coil is fine with that outdoor unit. Tell your Rheem dealer to contact his tech rep if he's having trouble diagnosing it.

beo1, we have a 3 ton R410a pump giving us fits too. Been through 2 indoor TXVs already. Sounds like your problem too.

rheem heat pump

The problem was the indoor txv. My supplier gave me a new evap and everything has been working great ever since.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast