Thread: Books for a newbie?

Post Likes

Books for a newbie?

I work for an apartment complex as a service tech. Took my EPA test Friday and need to learn air conditioning repair. I know very little about a/c's and would like to read some books when at home to brush up. I will be working with others that know a/c's but would like to educate myself.
    What books would you pro's recomend for a guy just starting out?
    I will try to get into a a/c class at the community college but that will be after the first of the year.
    Thanks
    Kenny

Post Likes
    Start with Modern Refrigeration.

There also used to be some very good articles in a forum here called FYI or something like that. Norm C's article were excellent. Does anyone know what happened to them??

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kmatcek View Post
    I will be working with others that know a/c's but would like to educate myself.
    Watch out! I worked with a guy for 1 year and he taught me everything the way it shouldn't be done. Well, at least I know how to do it the wrong way.

Oh, HVAC Servicing Procedures, which is put out by Carrier.
    I like that better than the T.E.C.H. series
    Last edited by swellmel; 10-07-2007 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Forgot sumtin!
    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." -- Mark Twain

Post Likes
    I know about being taught the wrong way that is why I want to books to verify everything.

Can I buy these books from amazon?

Post Likes
    if you can affored it take classes at a comm collage , also some supply houses offer some good seminars for a/c, good luck

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kmatcek View Post
    I work for an apartment complex as a service tech. Took my EPA test Friday and need to learn air conditioning repair. I know very little about a/c's and would like to read some books when at home to brush up. I will be working with others that know a/c's but would like to educate myself.
    What books would you pro's recomend for a guy just starting out?
    I will try to get into a a/c class at the community college but that will be after the first of the year.
    Thanks
    Kenny
    I recommend "Practical Cooling Technology" by William Johnson, ISBN 0-8273-6814-3, hardback; not to be confused with the paperback lab manual. You can buy a new or used copy for less than $10 from one of the used book sellers who market thru Amazon.com.

http://tinyurl.com/yvugkv

Post Likes
    Thanks for the info. I will start looking for these books.
    I need all the help I can get and will buy several different books.

Post Likes
    E- mail me I'll send a few pdf's for general troubleshooting. jbarnicle at benoist dot com
    i belong to peta ... people eating tasty animals. all my opinions are just mine.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by snewman24 View Post
    I recommend "Practical Cooling Technology" by William Johnson, ISBN 0-8273-6814-3, hardback; not to be confused with the paperback lab manual. You can buy a new or used copy for less than $10 from one of the used book sellers who market thru Amazon.com.

http://tinyurl.com/yvugkv

I can't believe I got it for $12.80 new with 3.99 shipping and Amazon only wanted $150.95 but they were offering free shipping.
    Thanks alot for this heads up.

Post Likes
    Twilli's book of HVAC Facts is the best and very rare to find
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by twilli3967 View Post
    Twilli's book of HVAC Facts is the best and very rare to find
    .....maybe it's time the publisher did a second printing so we can find a copy...

Post Likes
    for the first 6 months or so call a a/c co for "advanced" diagnostic help then absorb the techs knowledge like a sponge also try RSES for some classes and last it is best to make the beginnner mistaks on the dime of an apartment complex because it is easiest to cover up

"THE ABILITY TO COVER YOUR OWN F*** UPS BEFORE ANYONE ELSE NOTICES IS THE FIRST SIGN OF A TRUE MASTER"

Post Likes

Start with "Answer Mans" Basic air conditioning Theory, and then controls. Very simple reading and easy. Then when your in college, you can get your nice text books.
    Sink or Swim!
    A Man has to know his limitations..
    To be old and wise, one must be young and dumb..

Post Likes
    I recomend you Fundamental Refrigeration by George Gunter, you can get it at www.escoinst.com, it is a really good book you can learn the theory of refrigeration systems.

Hernan

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in