East Coast Unions

Union’s have a much greater hold in the East coast vs the West. So, how do the unions handle it if a licensed journeyman (non-union) tech moved out there from the West and had to join up? Would they grant him journeyman status or would he have to go through a union sanctioned apprenticeship program? Do they give him a written test? Just curious.

Written test.
    Your poor planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!!!!

In the Boston area you need to pay 100 X thr currrent hour rate. They may let you in as a journeyman if you have a lot more than 5 years commercial/industrial exper.

good driving record....pass drug test.....speak english...get $6 over scale.....your in with the bigger service groups in NYC.
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

no unions in south carolina why would i give my money to someone else for my work ??

Because the amount you would give is allot less than the difference between what a union company pays their guys and a non union company pays their guys

For the vast majority of the guys this holds true, however there are a few exceptions to this rule. For most guys though they will make more working union than non union even when taking into account union dues

overall union compensation packedges are a better deal for the techs both in wages overtime benifits training medical dental extended coverage and retirement
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

I am in md.

The company I work with voted them in but still had to take a jourman test through them. I think I veries on the union.I know there is a sortage of jorman mech. in the union here. I think all you need to do is take test but the union hall will know more. I know if I loose my job I could go to carrrier or york just 2 of the company in the union i in. .hope thios info helps you.Ice man

i work a full time job with swing shifts for a leading tire manufactor.but. i also hold a residental lics. for up to 5 tons, have to have it in this state to buy from the wholesalers, so I am bonded and insured, just do it on the days I am off of my full time job, can pick and chose my jobs and Have a couple people that take care of installs for me, help out and check the work when I am off. I did HVAC full time for a number of years, got tired off the rat race here with getting paid for new const. and the sorts, anyways this is a non union state< south carolina> yes I do manual J for my installs, I also have my jounerymans lics. but all I need is the residental lisc here, the test is about the same sorry for the long post

Becuase with the crappy wages in SC if you gave anyone anything, you'd be paying to work. JMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by papa_jo View Post
    no unions in south carolina why would i give my money to someone else for my work ??
    Your poor planning does not constitute an emergency on my part!!!!