Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Filter for Furnace ( 16" X 25" X 4" )

I would like to know who makes the best Furnace Filter ( 16" X 25" X 4" ) I have 2 cats one dog in the house, which is the best MERV for my home? I have a RHEEM Furnace.

What's the model number of the furnace and air conditioner. 16x25 may not be large enough for the airflow needed for your unit.

To answer your question I like honeywell F100, no higher than MERV 10-11 for airflow reasons.

Install a 1" fiberglass filter ahead of that one to catch the hair and big dirt. It will extend the life of the 4" filter.

The filter case only holds the 4 inch filter, there is no way you could put another inch into it.

Which Brand Name is the best on the market?

Which Merv would you use Merv 11 or Merv 13? An why?

Quote Originally Posted by nhoj View Post
    The filter case only holds the 4 inch filter, there is no way you could put another inch into it.

Which Brand Name is the best on the market?

Which Merv would you use Merv 11 or Merv 13? An why?
    Please read my post correctly. I did not say put another filter in with it. I wrote INSTALL A 1" AHEAD OF IT.

Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    Please read my post correctly. I did not say put another filter in with it. I wrote INSTALL A 1" AHEAD OF IT.
    Are you talking about putting a 1" filter in the Furnace? Because the 4" filter is on the outside of the furnace.

If I am not mistaken there is always a filter inside the furnace. If that is the case it would make since. But will that affect the air flow?

Also do they not make filters out of two different types of mutual? Which one is the best filter, also who makes (Brand Name) filter?

AHEAD OF IT. There's only one way to interpret that.

Has anyone used Accumulair Diamond Furnace Filters?

I have looked to see if I can put a 1 inch filter in front of my 4 inch filter and I see no where that I can, is it common that there is a space or open ing that one can do this?

I am very much interested in this to save the 4 inch filter or gave it a longer life spand.

no one makes the best one, you go by merv rating, all medrv 10 is merv 10, what you need to realize is that just adding higher mervs can cause airflow restriction that can be very harmful, so placing a 1" ahead of a 4" is increasing the restriction and pretty soon., oh crap, why did my compressor die?
    Total Energy Management, inc

I have to agree with you but it was wroth a try.

I have been using a Merv 13 and will couture until someone advises me different.
    I have had my Rheem 90 furnace for 10 years now and without any trouble with it.
    What is a life of a furnace?

what can one have done to it to keep it in top running conduction? Everything is sealed on this furnace.

regular checkups and combustion analysis should be a yearly, along with routine filter changes, a gas furnace can go 20-30 years
    Total Energy Management, inc

Change to merv 10-11 I'm with Jtrammel on this and don't use a 1" ahead ----change media twice a year.

Determine the stat pressure available (if not already to high) and base your filter choice on that data.

Merv 8 will probably be pressing the upper limits of your system.
    Never install filters in series unless there is enough available static pressure from the blower.

A 1 fiberglass resistance is around 0.08
    A 4 inch merv 8 is in the area of 0.15

Static pressure will increase as merv rating increases. A merv 16 will be in the range of 0.36 over half of your design static.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast