Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Does Goodman make a two stage heat pump?

Looking at Goodman. Do they make a 16 seer two stage heat pump?

It looks like on their website that they have a two-stage furnace (GMV95).

It says variable speed is that the same?

The air handler says variable speed also

Does that mean I would need to go with a furnace and a/c to get two-stage?

Live in Central Ky. Should I go 16 seer HP or Furnace and A/C?

Goodman's website, under Product Specifications for the SSZ16 heat pump, states that the unit is single stage from 2 to 4 tons, and 2-stage for a 5 ton unit only.

Variable speed refers to the fan in the air handler and has nothing to do with the heat pump condensing unit (outside unit) or the gas furnace located in the air handler (along with the refrigerant coil).

If your electric rates are decent, and you don't have arctic-like winters, you can use the heat pump as your primary heat source and the gas furnace as supplimental heat for the heat pump when outside temps drop below 32 degrees. Below 32 degrees (or whatever the balance point is for your home), the house loses heat faster than can be supplied by the heat pump so supplimental heat is needed. Using the heat pump as primary and gas furnace as supplimental in this case, a dual-stage gas furnace may be overkill as single stage gas would do the trick.

Don't confuse a dual stage heat pump condensing unit (with either a 2-stage compressor or 2 separate compressors) with a dual-stage gas furnace. You can use a single stage heat pump or a dual stage heat pump with either a single stage furnace or a dual stage furnace. The gas furnace and heat pump are different sources of heat, kind of independent of each other, but work together if the heat pump needs supplimental heat, or the heat pump can be turned off in brutal cold and the gas furnace is used as the sole source of heat.

Hope this helped.

Best to you.

I would not go with Goodman! Find a better product... American Standard, Trane, Carrier, etc!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by benthemusicman View Post
    I would not go with Goodman! Find a better product... American Standard, Trane, Carrier, etc!!!!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Goodman...if properly sized and installed it will work very well.

That's your opinion. I would not want to purchase a Goodman. Look on consumer reports and pick a unit that has better quality.

Not just an opinion...I have installed every brand you can probably think of. Some brands have more bells and whistles and cost more and some cost more based on name recognition....truth of the matter is that almost any brand (Goodman included) will serve well if installed correctly and maintained properly. Those who don't like a particular brand have usually not been exposed to it start to finish, they run a service call on a hacked unit and suddenly..."what a hunk of junk" syndrome starts...

How about this...we agree to disagree

And please...don't get me started on consumer reports

Look on consumer reports and pick a unit that has better quality.
    Consumer Reports is not the place to go for HVAC feedback. Most system problems have more to do with the install than the manufacturer: proper sizing, proper evacuation and charge, ductwork, etc.

I am very happy with my new Goodman 14 SEER heat pump. Got a Copeland scroll, TXV, and a 10 year parts warranty. Saved $2k over brands x,y, and z. The filter rack for the 1" filter was poorly designed which is my only complaint.

Wake up and smell the Goodmans.

What is this TXV everyone says to get? I am getting this system payed for as a gift, so I dont have a 100% decision in this just persuading. I just wish Goodman made a two stage HP or furnace. I cant justify $4500 more for the Carrier or Trane. So for my area should I go HP or Furnace? I have a gas water heater and logs I use now, so I wouldnt cut Gas all together with a HP.

Whats the chance of Goodman coming out with 2 stage anytime soon?

Thanks for all of the replies, I'm back and forth with this Goodman after reading NUMEROUS posts on the subject.

Also I have asthma, what a good filter to pair with this?

BTW, the installer has put in my folks system 4 years ago with no problems, so it would be a good installer IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by mothergoose45 View Post
    What is this TXV everyone says to get?
    - A TXV (thermo-static expansion valve) meters refrigerant to the evaporator coil inside the air handler. It does a much better job than the piston that comes with the air handler. Get the TXV as it is only a few $$ more and well worth it.

"So for my area should I go HP or Furnace?"

- Heat pump with gas back-up as stated earlier. You'll get cheap heat with the heat pump and have the gas furnace as supplimentary heat for the heat pump.

Don't be frustrated, this is a learning experience for you. You want to make sure that you get a good system for the right price with a good install.

What kind of system do you have now?

What are your electric rates in Kentucky?

here is my current Utility bill:

Metered kwh Usage
    Customer Charge 5.00
    Energy Charge 112.33
    Other Charges For Above Rates
    Fuel Adjustment ($.00731 x 2309 kwh) 16.88
    Residential DSM ($.00061 x 2309 kwh) 1.41
    Environmental Surcharge (5.270% x $135.62) 7.15
    Merger Surcredit (1.589% CR x $142.77) -2.27
    Value Delivery Surcredit (0.300% CR x $140.50) -0.42
    Home Energy Assistance Fund Charge 0.10
    Total Electric Charges $140.18

Dont know which one is what I need to know. The Goodman guy didnt reccomend the dual fuel. Will that make it two stage for the heat but not the Air?

Excellent info MotherGoose.

$140 electric bill divided by 2309 kilwatt-hours consumed = 6 cents per kilwowatt-hour electric rate. Congratulations, you have dirt cheap electricity and a heat pump will be an excellent choice.

What kind of winter temperatures do you have? How often is it below freezing?

If you have fairly mild winters, you can skip the gas back-up and have electric strips as the back-up heat in the air handler. This will save you the purchase cost of the gas furnace.

If you have either back-up electric strips or a back-up gas furnace in the air handler with a single stage heatpump, then you have 2 stage heating. If you have a dual stage compressor in the heat pump and either back-up electric strips or back-up gas furnace in the air handler, then you have 3 stage heating (and 2 stage cooling).

Keep up the good work.

Well last year we had weeks at 20* so prob I would say at least a month or so at or below freezing. So the Goodman 16 seer HP is a two speed unit that runs low until needed and then kicks up to high gear when needed?
    Yeah we are supposed to have the lowest electric rates in the country.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast