Thread: E Series JACEs

E Series JACEs

Seems to me that Honeywell's genius idea to eliminate the need of batteries is to have the unit constantly process data recovery and hog up resources. These JACEs are slow, slow, slow....

Is anyone else using these have similar issue?

We are looking at disabling this function and adding the battery back.......

There is a very informative thread on Niagara-Central about the JACEs with SRAM.
    https://community.niagara-central.co...onThread/17808

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by CerealKiller View Post

We are looking at disabling this function and adding the battery back.......
    Not possible...SRAM is supported by hardware and firmware in v3.7 and later. Battery version works on different hardware and older versions.

Put a battery in one and disabled the SRAM last Friday, Jace now runs a lot better.

Kevin
    "Profit is not the legitimate purpose of business. The legitimate purpose of business is to provide a product or service that people need and do it so well that it's profitable."

James Rouse

Have had 6 that I have had to add a battery and disable Data Recovery Service, think its a scam to make a battery an extra cost instead of coming installed.

From my limited experience with these there is not clear documentation on how to properly set these jaces up.

General:

-You still need to have max heap license for these jaces if you want up the RAM. (no different than 600)

-You can install a battery. This is helpful with "dirty power" situations which can cause these to reboot.

Rebooting and Resource Hog issues:

-You need to realize how these work.

Any slot configured as critical that has a change will write to one of the three data recovery blocks. As these fill they write to files .drdb on the JACE, and clear themselves to write to again. (these blocks should not be filling up every 30 seconds) and when the persistent memory is full the station saves. On reboot from power loss or command these "playback" to the DRAM as they are the most recent data.

-Every slot in the JACE is configured as critical automatically.

You need to plan based on application. If I have three Jaces reporting to websuper do I need to write every change in space temperature for every VAV in the system? If the histories push to the websuper do I need them recorded?
    If the Jace is stand alone, this will change the answers some, but in my opinion you never need to have everything as critical.

-View the data recovery service editor

You can see the blocks fill. Once again, I have seen stations fill these in 30 sec.

-check out the application director.

Is are you seeing persistant memory full, how often? How often is the station saving. This should be greater than every two hours. On another note, fix errors you see here, related or not. (sorry, pet peeve)

-check out the data recovery manager

This is the best tool for this I use. Right click on station/ spy/ sysmanagars/ datarecoverymanager. This shows where your writes are coming from and their size. Your writes are broken into three areas; station, alarm, or history. At the bottom of the page you can view additional statistics in each area. I found our issue was in the station writing. I attached an example of this.

With this data you can chase down errors or config flags on non-important data to stop writing to data recovery.

-High CPU usage patches

If you are getting the JACE rebooting on engine watchdog timeout you need patches. These are available for 3.5, 3.6, and 3.7. They all include new alarm.jar, baja.jar, and niagaradriver.jar. Additionally 3.7 includes alarmOrion.jar, and orion.jar.
    These did not help with the issues I was having, just wanted to include in case you have this specific error.

Additional notes:

I do like installing the batteries, just because it takes out issues from small power bumps. in our critical sites with generators everything will run along smoothly during power issues.

Once you configure what should actually be considered critical, your problems should go away in my experience.

Decent information on this: http://cochrane.comcastbiz.net/downl...ecoverySvc.pdf

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Good info, thanks for sharing!
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

I am curious what the benefit of using the Data Recovery Service is other than not needing a battery?

On a system without a web supervisor it will save your histories and such in case of a power loss.

With a supervisor I do not see much of an advantage other than it can allow a higher operating temperature.

Thanks,

Shannon

If you have a battery in your jace it does the same thing. I believe that is the only reason for a battery, to back up the site in the event of a power failure. But now you have to buy the battery instead of it coming installed, kind of a cheesy way to get appx $70 from a customer.

Thanks smmedlin!

Found our TUNCOS logic and NDIO point polling eating it up. Also, set the Non-Critical Flag for the runtime extensions.