Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    How would I apply positive pressure to test this approach?
    My vaccum cleaner is a Dyson with HEPA filter. The dust was a problem before I purchased it. I bought it to try to clean up more of the dust!! I don't think it leaks...I have observed it in direct sunlight for particles and see none. We have no pets and the dust doesn't look "dirty" but fibrous white/grey.

have you caulked ALL wall joints?
    is the ceiling caulked to the chimney?
    does dust look like particles from insulation in attic?

does dust look like particles from carpet?
    does dust look like particles from carpet pad?

with kids bordering on breathing problems, why do you have carpets?
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

As far as we can tell, yes all these joints are well caulked.
    The dust does resemble cellulose insulation or fibers of some sort, but we cannot locate a source.
    We do not have carpet....hardwood floors throughout.

do you have crown molding?
    is it & baseboard caulked along both edges?

more dust under beds?
    under couches?

any of the supply trunks for HVAC have fiberous linning?
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

Where is the furnace, air handler located? If its in the attic, and you already checked the returns for any possible leaks whereby insulation fibers could be sucked in, I would look closely at the unit. Do a smoke test around the unit when its running to see if unfiltered air is getting inside.

We do have crown mold, but it is caulked on both edges. I just a few weeks ago finished caulking around the lower edge of the baseboards throughout the house, but have seen no improvement.
    The dust does not collect more under beds, furniture, etc...it is simply everywhere on the main floor.
    We do have some ductboard in our system, but the supply registers look clean and do not appear to be the source. We recently had an HVAC contractor thoroughly inspect all of our ductwork, joints, etc. and seal thoroughly. He is quite meticulous and checked pressures afterwards, so we have pretty much ruled out the ductwork as a contributor. We do have a unit in the attic they checked out. It may be worth checking again.

Does anyone know of a resource where I could have samples of the dust analyzed? We suspect it is the cellulose insulation, but it would help to know for sure. I can't find anywhere that does this.

heck, buy a 750x microscope on eBay -- $25 --
    just look at dust, then at cellulose --

if it looks like a rose, it is unlikely to be a duck --

I did that for inspecting LPs for dirt in grooves --

Can anyone say OCD??

Quote Originally Posted by ar_hvac_man View Post
    Can anyone say OCD??
    Not the case at all. I've seen the original test results and spoken extensively with the tester.

Your comment is completely unnecessary.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbenny View Post
    Not the case at all. I've seen the original test results and spoken extensively with the tester.

Your comment is completely unnecessary.
    Calm down your heiness. Im just clowning. Seems to me with all your superior intellect and brainstorming with the tester the problem should have been identified by now.

Stupid suggestions, and you may have tried them already but...

Try not using the hvac for a day or two and see if you get the same amount of dust. Try and not opening the exterior doors for a while AND not being in the house for 10 hours straight and see if the dust accumilation is the same.

Maybe it's the fireplace/chimney(s). Do you have a lot of trees over your house?

This is very interesting. I hope you find the solution.

Calm down your heiness. Im just clowning. Seems to me with all your superior intellect and brainstorming with the tester the problem should have been identified by now.
    He lives 2.5 hours one direction. He did the original diagnostic work. Spent an entire day there.

The travel distance is too far to complete the required work to repair the home. The OP chose use local people that 'claimed' to have the same test and diagnostic abilities.

Again, please refrain from insulting other members. It would be appreciated.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

The problems were identified with recommendations made back in June.
    There is still something being overlooked that is simply not visible at this point as it is hidden between walls and in between floors.

The OCD comment was not necessary as there are definite problems here, cellulose fibers accumulating on the homes interior surfaces is not a normal occurrence.

This isn't a joke to Lee Ann.
    Have you set up a Google alert for Carbon Monoxide yet?
    Click here to find out how.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast