Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I've been wondering about the distribution of the particulates at various heights in a room.

Have any of you experimented around with moving the Dylos to different room heights to see how much variance in particulate levels there is at a given location at different heights?

Also, what happens to the particulate levels in a room when the blower system kicks on? Does it increase the particulate levels?

Quote Originally Posted by midhvac View Post
    I've been wondering about the distribution of the particulates at various heights in a room.

Have any of you experimented around with moving the Dylos to different room heights to see how much variance in particulate levels there is at a given location at different heights?

Also, what happens to the particulate levels in a room when the blower system kicks on? Does it increase the particulate levels?
    In mild weather, the particle counts depend mostly on the activity in that room. In hot or cold weather, the type of filter and blower run time affects it a lot too. Moving the Dylos to a room with higher activity levels increased particle counts till the weather turned cold. then increased blower run time dramatically decreased particle counts.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Can readings this high be accurate?

With my .5 Dylos unit, I get the following readings:

inside house: about 2900
    Garage: 8800
    Outside on driveway: about 9300

The sticker on the unit states above 3000 is very poor air quality.

Yes.

When I get readings this high I usually double check by putting the Dylos near a "clean" source such as a HEPA air purifier. The device seems pretty accurate.

For a homeowner, would you recommend getting the .5 or 1 Dylos unit?

It's hard to tell since I've read conflicting info on the sizes of allergy particles. I'm mostly allergic to dust, dust mites, mold, pollen, etc. My allergies have be worse ever since I moved into my current home 5 years ago. I'd like a way to tell if our actions are making progress for better air or not. Or is it just that I'm now more sensitive than I used to be and that cleaning up the air just doesn't help.

thanks for you opinions
    MikeB

I believe that is what is was designed for. You can see what your environment is doing when you are doing every day activities.

But which model to choose? The >0.5uM or >1.0uM for the lower reading?

thanks
    MikeB

Quote Originally Posted by mfb View Post
    But which model to choose? The >0.5uM or >1.0uM for the lower reading?

thanks
    MikeB
    It depends on whether you want to target allergens that are sub-micron size or not, and how much money you want to spend. I got the 0.5 uM unit because I believe they matter; some people don't. I don't regret getting it.

hello all i got a >.5 on order. from the reviews i read this is a good unit. im working on a a air purifier with 35 pounds of carbon, and need meter for testing air quality, on merv 8 and merv 11 to see the particle count. got to see what my WC is. these will be units that have a refillable carbon bed.
    when i find out the air quality and check the WC i will be offering different type filter media. going for 600 to 700 cfm. Not trying to sell any thing im just testing now.
    I talked to Kim at Dylos very professional, she said she would get my unit out next week.

My Dylos is still working fine. Current counts in my office with a HEPA air purifier running are:

1 micron - 99,000 per cubic foot

5 microns - 0 per cubic foot

I've been lurking around here for a while reading this thread on the DC1100 particle meter. My question is, how can I compare the unit's particle count readout to the EPA AQI (http://airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=static.aqi)? For example, if it reads 500 particles what would the AQI value be? Also, since I understand that the Pro version is calibrated to the 0.5-2.5 and 2.5-10.0 micron standard that the EPA goes by, would it be easier to understand the results using the Pro version?

NVM, I just spoke with the manufacturer on the phone and he answered my question.

... and the answer was?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast