Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

still working?

Just wondering if everyone is still liking their Dylos as I'm planning on buying one. No parts have fallen off? No one's been burned by the laser?

Thanks

Nathan

Mine is still working just fine. Current count in my office is 3,900 at 1 micron. I have an Austin Air running in my office and an Amaircare running in my conference room.

I continue to be impressed. In fact, I have decided to sell these on our website and in our retail stores.
    Last edited by jrbenny; 11-17-2007 at 08:57 PM.

I have been pleased with mine also. I kept records of the hourly readings for about a week. Then I put a 1" pleat in place of the cheap fiberglass filter I was using. The readings only dropped slightly. I got the same thing from a borrowed Air Advice. I am going to try a 6" pleated filter next. So far, the biggest effect that I have seen on particles in the air is human activity in the room where the particle counter sits. I would guess that other rooms are the same way.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

These posts are pretty cool. A real life look at IAQ. I feel like an IAQ voyeur.

I was really amazed to read about how much junk goes into the air by just walking across a carpet. Sounds like yet another reason to buy an HEPA filtered vacuum sweeper.

We need more visual effects though. It would be really cool to actually be able to SEE the increase in the junk in the air.

I'm very happy with mine. With it I found:

- that I needed to set the IQAir on "4", not "2" for my desired air quality in the bedroom.

- which ones of the filters I had were most effective (ever heard of Airpura? It was so effective at lowering particle counts in a room that my jaw almost hit the floor. At maximum speed it was roughly 3 times faster than an IQAir, and lowered the count much further, for the same price. For the same effectiveness it is much quieter. I think it's going to go in the bedroom now).

- that the "dirty" air flow from the HVAC system in my office at work completely defeated my HEPA filter even on maximum speed. I suspected that already but now I have proof.

etc...

Quote Originally Posted by pmeunier View Post
    I'm very happy with mine. With it I found:

- that I needed to set the IQAir on "4", not "2" for my desired air quality in the bedroom.

- which ones of the filters I had were most effective (ever heard of Airpura? It was so effective at lowering particle counts in a room that my jaw almost hit the floor. At maximum speed it was roughly 3 times faster than an IQAir, and lowered the count much further, for the same price. For the same effectiveness it is much quieter. I think it's going to go in the bedroom now).

etc...
    That's very interesting as we just bought an IQ Air for our bedroom and run it at "2" during the night and then "6" while we out (thanks to the built in timer). However now we are looking for a purifier to run in our large family room 24/7 and the IQ Air is just too noisy at decent air flow levels. I find the Airpura intriguing. I hate that they advertise free flow rate (560 cfm) instead of with the filters (440 cfm). But even at 440 cfm it's at only 62 db (compared with IQ Air with 260 cfm@72 db) and it's only uses 120 watts. Seems to good to be true, especially since they appear to use a pretty good seal around the filter and include a thick "special blend" of carbon. But it sounds like you've had a good experience with them pmeunier??? Might have to try out the V600.

Nathan

my experience is with the I600, which has the largest area HEPA and no other restrictions, so I assume that the airflow rate is higher than with the other models. The air also seems to come out in a less turbulent manner than with other HEPA filters. Laminar air flow is better for capturing particles. In any case, the particle counter several feet away tells me it lowers particle counts much faster, whatever the exact reason is. I put it in the bedroom last night and it was great. The IQAir will go elsewhere.

0 particle counts!

It's been raining all day, and the particle counts in my office hover close to 0 (>0.5 uM) except when I move about. As suspected, the outside counts are the lowest I ever measured (170 for 0.5 uM and 20 for 2.5 uM).

It looks like if you have good filtration and not too many inside particle sources, your inside particle counts will track the outside ones.

someone else has been having fun with the Dylos:

http://www.americanallergysupply.com...ir-filters.htm

with efficiency measurements for a number of filters.

Quote Originally Posted by pmeunier View Post
    someone else has been having fun with the Dylos:

http://www.americanallergysupply.com...ir-filters.htm

with efficiency measurements for a number of filters.
    You have got to be kidding me.

There is NO WAY the air flow through those filters is the same. If you put a sheet of metal on the fan in place of the filters, what reading would you get? If you want to test filter efficiency that way, you should pup the dylos inside the discharge duct that should be there. Then you should measure the air flow through the apparatus while it is operating. It should be the same for all tests. Then you have some valid readings. With the Dylos out in the open as shown, there is too much possibility of contamination from the ambient air.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Neill View Post
    You have got to be kidding me.

There is NO WAY the air flow through those filters is the same. If you put a sheet of metal on the fan in place of the filters, what reading would you get? If you want to test filter efficiency that way, you should pup the dylos inside the discharge duct that should be there. Then you should measure the air flow through the apparatus while it is operating. It should be the same for all tests. Then you have some valid readings. With the Dylos out in the open as shown, there is too much possibility of contamination from the ambient air.

I see your point. The PD across those filters would surely be enough to affect the output of that wimpy motor, especially with the cheaper higher MERV models that don't have enough pleats.

Is that particle counter actually designed to be used with moving air? IMO I think it already has its own fan to draw the sample in at a predictable CFM.

Where is the sample being drawn in? Is that directly in the airstream of the box fan?

It sucks in the back at the bottom and blows out the back at the top. But with reduced air flow, fewer particles would come through the filter, which would give higher efficiency readings than what the efficiency really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Neill View Post
    It sucks in the back at the bottom and blows out the back at the top. But with reduced air flow, fewer particles would come through the filter, which would give higher efficiency readings than what the efficiency really is.
    I would think that the lower the air flow, the more particles from the surrounding air would increase the particle count (ignoring the increasing filter efficiency with lower air flow) and give lower efficiency readings.

It's obvious that the readings aren't accurate. The air flow through the Dylos should be quite sensitive to velocity pressure differentials between the inlet and outlet so even if you use a better measurement protocol (e.g., in-duct) you'll get somewhat inaccurate results if the air velocity isn't the same as well as the placement of the unit in the duct.

Due to the subtraction operation, the most inaccurate results (in relative terms -- 5% efficiency +/-5 could really be zero) would be with low efficiency filters. Due to ambient air (dusty wind), you probably can't measure anything greater than a 90% efficiency.

It's a quick & fun experiment. Whether you should use the results for advertising is another question.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast