how good is the Dylos DC1100 air quality monitor? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I have one ordered. We should get it Tuesday. We are also going to borrow an Air Advice and check them against each other. We have someone who called us with allergy problems, we will see what we find out with these two instruments. I already have temperature and RH data loggers.

I will post after I have some solid data.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Ours just came in. The data logging is displayed on the 2 line screen. There is no way to hook it to a computer.

I will run it in my office at my shop for a day to see how it does, then I will take it home and see what I get there.

It has a little propellor fan to draw the air sample as opposed to an air pump.

Questions for lpc engineer:

1) Is there any way to clear the memory?

2) How much memory is available in this unit. How long will it log data when in continuous mode?

3) What is the life of the laser diode in continuous mode at 75 degrees ambient?

Hi Kevin,

First, thank you for your purchase. If you, or anyone, would like to talk to us about the features or possible options for the DC1100 please feel free to call or contact us through our website ...

1-877-351-2730
    www.dylosproducts.com

As you observed the standard DC1100 does not have a computer hookup. We make one available as an option for $50. With this option data is logged to the PC every minute either through your PC's COM port or to your PC's USB port using a USB-to-COM adapter.

You also observed that the DC1100 uses a fan for creating air movement as opposed to a pump. This is no limitation for most users, however, if you wanted to hook tubing up to inlet as you can on the Fluke then a fan would not provide enough suction.

As for clearing the memory, the units come with the memory cleared, but I can see the need for this so I will start thinking about how to implement that. The unit stores 30 days of history data. It stores minute by minute averages for the past hour, hour by hour averages for the past day, and day by day averages over the past month. If the customer needs more history or needs to know what the counts were at 10:35 4 days ago then our COM port option will let him get all that data on his PC. I tried to address the laser life issue in a previous post. The only really good way to assess laser life is by actual usage. Accelerated life tests which I have conducted lead me to believe several years of life. I think laser life on the DC1100 will be longer than most other laser particle counters.

Hope that helps.

I purchased a Dylos DC1100 to check it out. Mine arrived today also.

My first impression is good. It seems to be accurate. Very easy to use. (plug it in and turn it on) You can't go wrong for the price.

Readings in my offices attached to the factory:
    My personal office with an Austin Air running - 7,900 particles over 1 micron per cubic foot

The front lobby - 83,000 particles over 1 micron per cubic foot

The front lobby after we walked around on the carpet - 240,000 particles per cubic foot over 1 micron.

Neat!

I left mine on overnight. it read 10,000 small and 0 large particles in my office last night. As soon as I came in it started reading higher on both particle sizes. Now it reads 95,000 small particles and 3,900 large particles. If I get up and move around the readings get higher still. I am impressed. This will be very useful.

More memory would be wonderful. Instead of a serial port, perhaps a USP port? Then you could plug a 1 gig memory stick into it and record every minute for forever. Just unplug the memory stick and plug that into the computer for downloading.

Also it would be nice if monitor mode would sample every minute as an option in addition to every hour. That way you could do short term tests as well as long term tests, and still have long laser life.

I did not see anything on the web site about the serial port option or the small particle size option. I would have purchased the serial port option if I had known about it.

Not griping, just suggesting.

All in all, I am very pleased with the DC1100.

0.5 uM

I just received the 0.5 uM version.

After starting it and setting it on my desk while I was working, it registered:
    small(>0.5 uM) large (>2.5 uM)
    35 5 (that would be 3500 and 500 particles)

after vigorously shaking a sweater that had been on a chair for a few months:
    300 150 (approximately, the readings fluctuate; it seems that the device displays a running average over about 20 seconds)

after half an hour it settled down to:
    30 2

This is with a cheap Duracraft HEPA filter running on "silent" (the lowest speed) nearby. I also have an independently ducted Nutone HEPA filter running continuously in the rest of the house.

I wish I had had it when I was using the Aprilaire 5000. Instead of finding out that a filter was dirty, electrostatically shielded and couldn't capture small particles anymore, by getting sinus inflamation, the counter might have alerted me ahead of time or at least confirmed my suspicions.

The counter is light and simple.
    -It wouldn't start at first, but after unplugging and re-connecting the adapter and its cord, it started when I pressed the power button.

-In continuous mode, the noise it makes is comparable to that of my HEPA filter (on "silent"), and is louder than my computer. However, on monitor mode, it makes no noise at all between measurements (every hour). After taking a measurement in monitor mode, it displays the values, which is practical and makes sense. It's easy to look at the data minutes ago, hours ago or days ago by changing the mode.

I really like this unit so far, and would recommend it to whoever is trying to control dust and particles due to strong allergies.

hehe, 23 and 0 now. I'm glad I'm not working in Kevin's office

I took it outside and it registered 1600 and 40. That would be a 99% reduction in particles >0.5 uM. Who says that submicron particles can't be controlled at all in a real home . And, this is an old home too, leaky and all.

pm
    I am surprised and impressed.

However, these figures seem awfully low for 0.5 microns. In fact, they seem very similar to my figures for 1 micron. Particles increase exponentially as they decrease in size. (more than 99% of the particles in air are less than 1 micron)
    Your outside count at 0.5 microns is less than my lobby count at 1 micron.

lpc engineer, could you comment on this?

Pollen.com reported very low pollen counts yesterday in my area, almost 0, and they've been low for quite a while now. Today the pollen count in your area is 4 times higher than where I am. Even though pollen is larger, it breaks down to generate sub-micron particles. Also, this is a quiet residential street in a moderately sized city. Here it takes 15 minutes to drive from one side of the city to the other in rush hour traffic, so fewer idling cars and traffic means less pollution. There wasn't much wind at the time either. You have carpeting in your lobby. You live in a big city with skyscrapers. Couldn't that account for the difference?

I set my Dylos particle counter in my living room Sunday at noon. Ihave copied data by hand to an excel spreadsheet. (attached) Hope you can see this OK.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hey love the data! It looks like counts spike with activity and then settle down gradually. Looks normal. One thing you see is that the particle concentration varies wildly - your highs were 2500 and your lows less than 100. I'm curious if you have any air purifiers or filtering going which would keep the peak concentration down.

Particle counts show a great dynamic range. Here in southern california we can get counts on the standard DC1100 of 2000 or more outside, then another day 150 or so. So it is not surprising that one customer might have higher counts on his 1 micron unit than another customer has on his 0.5 micron. It is also true that particle distribution by size is roughly exponential, but that exponent varies greatly. During the fires here we were seeing on some days very high counts on the 0.5 micron, but the 1 micron didn't go up proportionately. As a rule of thumb this exponent might be about 2 so typically there might be 4 times as many 0.5 micron and larger particles than there are 1 micron and larger. But again this is only a rule of thumb and the actual ratio will vary.

The only filter in my house is an el cheapo fiberglass. I will try a 1" pleat, then go to a 6" pleat and see what happens.

Today I put the cheap HEPA filter on medium speed and the counter reads around 13, with spikes up to 17. I wouldn't have thought that just a slight speed increase on a cheap model could almost halve the number of >0.5 uM particles. Fun.

Granted, I put caulking on the sides of the filter (not around the edges from the outside, but where pressure is applied, as a form of cheap gasketing) where it gets sandwiched, and it will be a mess when it's time to change the filter. Oh well

This counter turns HVAC and allergies into a fun home science experiment.

P.S.: (an hour later) now reads around 9, with some readings as low as 5... Wow.
    P.P.S.: Outside counts are about 400 (> 0.5) and 55 (>2.5), so the lower inside count may be due mostly to the lower outside count today. That would be a 98% reduction.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast